Finnair Adds 7th MD-11, and MD80 to leave earlier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finnair Adds 7th MD-11, and MD80 to leave earlier

Finnair will apparently require even more capacity for their Asian operations, and are negotiating the acquisition of a seventh McDonnell Douglas MD-11.

In other news, the MD-80 will be decommissioned earlier than expected, to be replaced by a combination of existing A320 and new E170 aircraft.

Finnair is one of the world's oldest operating airlines with a modern fleet and over 80 destinations in Finland, Europe, Asia and North America.
    My New Photo Name on JP.net is DutchAviation!!!!

why should we fight about wich aircraft manufactor is better..............

thats so childish....

because hey we all know boeing is better

How come Finnair continue to go for MD-11s, I mean don't get me wrong I love seeing tri-jet planes fly. I mean couldn't they go for something more efficient like 777s or some 767s I'm sure they have similar ranges and capacities to that of an MD-11. (Correct me if I am wrong with the assumptions I have made)

Comment

I'm suprised they won't use this for their Miami flight to make it year round. (Miami has the largest Finnish population in the U.S.)
      - The baby will be back -

Comment

Originally posted by babypurin
        I'm suprised they won't use this for their Miami flight to make it year round. (Miami has the largest Finnish population in the U.S.)
        Wow, that's pretty surprising. My initial guess would be somewhere in the northeast or upper midwest. Then again, why not escape the cold and head for the beach.
        Bama sux, War Eagle!

Comment

Originally posted by Irajaw
          How come Finnair continue to go for MD-11s, I mean don't get me wrong I love seeing tri-jet planes fly. I mean couldn't they go for something more efficient like 777s or some 767s I'm sure they have similar ranges and capacities to that of an MD-11. (Correct me if I am wrong with the assumptions I have made)
          Cash flow wise its cheaper to lease an old MD-11 than a new 777. You also have more flexibility in lease terms. That's probably the key reason. Furthermore, since they already have some MD-11s its cheaper from a fleet maintenance perspective to have one type than two, e.g. 7 MD-11s is slightly easier than 5 MD-11s and 2 767s or 777s.

-Sturla

Comment

Originally posted by sturla
            Cash flow wise its cheaper to lease an old MD-11 than a new 777. You also have more flexibility in lease terms. That's probably the key reason. Furthermore, since they already have some MD-11s its cheaper from a fleet maintenance perspective to have one type than two, e.g. 7 MD-11s is slightly easier than 5 MD-11s and 2 767s or 777s.

-Sturla
            Wouldn't the savings on fuels and maintenance on 777 offset that? MD11 is quite expensive to come by considering its age, since the model is literally being chased after by cargo operators. There are only less than 200 MD11s but it seems that every cargo/courier operators want at least 50 of those. On the other hand, there are plenty of 777s (e.g. ex-UA) sitting on the desert waiting to be sold or leased. Since OY has such a small fleet of MD11s, it would only take 6 months or so to replace all of them with 777s. Second hand A343s are even easier and cheaper to get. OY would be able to make a decent profit by selling its MD11s since those planes are already nearly 15 years old and would have been depreciated to near scrap-value in book.

Or may be OY wants to ride it out with the MD11s for 4 more years to get the 787 or A350 to replace them?
            Next:
            None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
              Since OY has such a small fleet of MD11s, it would only take 6 months or so to replace all of them with 777s. Second hand A343s are even easier and cheaper to get. OY would be able to make a decent profit by selling its MD11s since those planes are already nearly 15 years old and would have been depreciated to near scrap-value in book.

Or may be OY wants to ride it out with the MD11s for 4 more years to get the 787 or A350 to replace them?
              Finnairs' code is AY not OY.
              - The baby will be back -

Comment

...On the other hand, there are plenty of 777s (e.g. ex-UA) sitting on the desert waiting to be sold or leased.
                I believe that most of the ex-UA 777A's (non-IGW's) have already been picked up (by RG IIRC). I checked Bristol's website (aircraft broker) and there is only 1 777-222 available (formerly N766UA S/N 26917)

Second hand A343s are even easier and cheaper to get.
                2nd-hand A343's are quite hard to find as of this time. Note that even Jet Airways had to "lease" A343E's from SAA just to be able to start their long-haul ops.

This is the most likely scenario although I would think that they would be opting for 789's or A359's which wont be available in 4 years.
                adaequatio rei et intellectus

Comment

Originally posted by vojoboy
                  2nd-hand A343's are quite hard to find as of this time. Note that even Jet Airways had to "lease" A343E's from SAA just to be able to start their long-haul ops.
                  Isn't Emirates returning the A343s to Boeing gradually with the delivery of more 777s? And I thought SWISS and Air France are disposing of some of their A340s too?
                  Next:
                  None Planned

Comment

At least one passenger airline that remains committed to the MD-11. AY has found a nice niche, by offering 1-stop Asia flights through HEL, which is less of a hussle than any of the European hubs, and also is a faster alternative.

Comment

Isn't Emirates returning the A343s to Boeing gradually with the delivery of more 777s? And I thought SWISS and Air France are disposing of some of their A340s too?
                      Not at this moment. In fact a few months ago, EK was looking for more 343's.

I'm not sure about what Swiss' plans are after the LH takeover but they had previously deferred the delivery of the remaining 5 A343's they have on order.

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                      At least one passenger airline that remains committed to the MD-11. AY has found a nice niche, by offering 1-stop Asia flights through HEL, which is less of a hussle than any of the European hubs, and also is a faster alternative.
                      They were (are) also competitive on the Intra-Asian routes (like SAS). Some of my former colleagues would earlier book the cheaper flight by AY on the BKK-HKG route and still get awarded CX miles.
                      adaequatio rei et intellectus

Comment

Working...
                      X