Sigma Lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigma Lenses

Ok, i know theres a thread about what lense/camera i should buy already but specifically, does anyone know how Sigma lenses are for a canon digital rebel? I was just wondering because they make a 75-300 just like Canon but its a bit cheaper. So basically, are they any worse than Canon? and if they are, in what ways is the quality less?

Hi,

Well I am learning about SLR's and lenses right now and I have found out that Sigma are by far more expensive than Canon lenses. I mean, Canon does do some very good lenses, for instance the great 70-200mm L or the 75-300mm IS, the problem with Sigma is that I mean the prices for a decnt lens are just sooo high that they discourage you to buy them. I mean you see the 75-300mm IS by Canon on eBay like for $350-$400 but then you look for similar one but Sigma and the prices doubles to like $800-$900 and man, when you can buy a new 300D on eBay like for $600, to pay $800 for a lens is just like stabbing some one, its just too painful. My friend and Jp.net spotter Jason Nicholls uses a Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III USM and he takes some marvelous shots with his 10D. You can check out his photos at http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=435 I am looking forward to buy a Tamron 200-400mm LD F5.6 on eBay for less than $200 and I have heard its a great lens, if it isn't, can someone please help me out! Thanks!

Best Regards from Costa Rica!,

Comment

I'm not too sure what you are talking about as Sigma lenses are almost always cheaper than their Canon, or Nikon for that matter counterpart. Sigma does make relatively good lenses, but as with any other camera equiptment, generally you get what you pay for.

Comment

Well ... I use the Sigma 50-500, one of Sigma's top lenses, and I just can't imagine I go spotting without this lens. Great sharpness (even at 500mm full), but try and get a tripod or monopod. It's quite havy, and standing like 10hours with that on your neck, I can tell you, it hurts!

Sigma does make relatively good lenses, but as with any other camera equiptment, generally you get what you pay for.
        I know there are some people thinking Sigma makes bad lenses, and I can tell, their best lenses (like 50-500, 135-400, ...) are very good, but stay away from their cheap lenses (28-300, 70-300,...)

Hope this helps a bit

View my Jetphotos.net pictures
        View my Airliners.net pictures

Comment

Their 70-300 is not a top nothc lense, but no 70-300 (incöuding Canon and Nikon) in that class is a knock-out. If it is just a gap filler until you go to a L lense, then you can save the money for the Canon. Unless you want to sell the 70-300 afterwards, then Sigmas are a nono.

However Sigma has some very fine lenses.

I personally do love the HSM 100-300 4.0. An excellent lense. The same can be said about the HSM 120-300 2.8.

The 50-500 is loved by many, but I´m not so happy with it, as I think it lacks when forced to use full open.

The Sigma 135-400 is ok, for its price.

Comment

I'd get the 50-500 if only it had an OS, that's my main deciding factor which is why I'll be probably getting the 100-400L IS when I get the cash.

Comment

nothing wrong with Sigma, i use the 50-500 and it's sharp as a blade! another good option is the Sigma 70-200 2.8 and that is on a par with the Canon 70-200L. don't know much about the 75-300 Canon but it takes average photos!

the best thing you can put on your canon outside an L lens is a Sigma.

next trips
              USA/DXB August.

Comment

Originally posted by Longreach747
                nothing wrong with Sigma, i use the 50-500 and it's sharp as a blade! another good option is the Sigma 70-200 2.8 and that is on a par with the Canon 70-200L. don't know much about the 75-300 Canon but it takes average photos!

Well pretty much all my shots are with a Canon 75-300 III USM

Comment

I disagree. If you think the 50-500 is sharp when used full open, then you should rent a Canon 300mm 2.8 prime. That is sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                    I disagree. If you think the 50-500 is sharp when used full open, then you should rent a Canon 300mm 2.8 prime. That is sharp.
                    you pay and i'll use it, the 50-500 does the job just as good for me!

next trips
                    USA/DXB August.

Comment

you pay and i'll use it, the 50-500 does the job just as good for me!

Sure it does its job. I think it is also a difference because of our different locations. I guess you have many more sunny days, then I do have here in Germany. So the perfromance when shooting wide open is not that important to you, as it is to me.
                      I can only say, that the Nikon AF-S 300 2.8D I have is really far, far ahead to any Sigma (maybe except the 120-300 2. when it comes to sharpness wide-open.
                      Btw. did you ever compare the Sigma 80-400 OS to the 50-500 ?

Comment

Btw. did you ever compare the Sigma 80-400 OS to the 50-500 ?
                        Fallowing several users who used both, the Sigma 80-400's AF is slow ...

Sure it does its job. I think it is also a difference because of our different locations. I guess you have many more sunny days, then I do have here in Germany.
                        Correct, but it's not impossible to shoot in bad weather :

Close up's, only for Sigma's "Bigma" 50-500! Gear almost safely in her box. Runway 25L is visible on the fuselage, just like the snow! I hope they felt a bit warmer then I was!. N652UA. Boeing 767-322(ER). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

But, OS on the bigma would be great! Nothing to do about it now

View my Jetphotos.net pictures
                        View my Airliners.net pictures

Comment

Working...
                        X