Canadas top ten busiest airports.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadas top ten busiest airports.

Looking for some help here.Canadas top ten busiest airports in terms of movements and pax.I think I have the top 5.

1.YYZ
    2.YVR
    3.YUL
    4.YYC
    5.YEG

And then????
    Fly Edmonton first.Canadas gateway to the north.

Aircraft movements for the month of February 2005 (as reported by NavCanada). Including both itinerant and local traffic

1. Toronto Pearson/YYZ
    2. Vancouver/YVR
    3. Calgary/YYC
    4. Montreal Trudeau/YUL
    5. Boundary Bay/ZBB
    6. Victoria/YYJ
    7. Abbotsford/YXX
    8. Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier/YOW
    9. Calgary Springbank/YBW
    10. Winnipeg/YWG

Of course, with regards to passengers, I'd doubt Boundary Bay would get as many as Edmonton

Comment

According to Canadian Airports Council, there are 8 airports in Canada handling more than 2 million passengers each year, and they are:
      Montreal
      Calgary
      Edmonton
      Toronto
      Halifax
      Ottawa
      Vancouver
      Winnipeg

See http://www.cacairports.ca/Eng/Default.htm for more info.

From what I found, the top-8 (2004 full year) are:
      Toronto (28,655,526 pax according to Airport Council International)
      Vancouver (16,065,050 pax according to Airport Council International N. America)
      Montreal (10,335,768 pax according to Montreal Airport web site)
      Calgary (9,174,039 according to Calcary Airport web site)
      Edmonton (4,081,565 pax according to Edmonton Airport web site)
      Ottawa (3,262,597 pax according to Ottawa Airport web site)
      Halifax (3,242,389 pax according to Halifax Airport web site)
      Winnipeg (3,030,905 pax according to Winnipeg Airport web site)

According to Airports Council Internation North America Region (see http://www.aci-na.org/), Toronto and Vancouver are the only airports that are within the top-30 of North America.
      Passenger flow in 2004 are as follows:
      Toronto: no. 17 in N. America
      Vancouver: no. 30 in N. America

As for the what the last 2 in top-10 is, it's anybody's guess, my top choices would be St. John's, Moncton, Quebec City and Victoria. St. John's, being the only airport not in top-8 with scheduled regular intercontinental flights, is probably the number 9.

And, according to Airports Council International (see http://www.airports.org/) , only Toronto made it into the top-30 in the world, and it is ranked 29, losing to Seattle by mere 50000 pax.

Number 1 in the world is Atlanta with 83,578,906 pax. Number 1 non-US is London LHR (no. 3 in the world). Number 1 in Asia is Tokyo Haneda (i.e. Tokyo Domestic) (no. 4 in the world).

Three cities have 2 airports made it into the world top-30 list. They are:
      London LHR, LGW (ranked 3, 23) (total pax about 99,000,000)
      Tokyo HND, NRT (ranked 4, 25) (total pax about 93,000,000)
      New York JFK, EWR (ranked 15, 22) (total pax about 69,000,000)

Sadly, no Canadian airport made it into the global top-30 list in terms of cargo traffic. And only Vancouver is in the top-30 in North America, ranked 27 with 234,917 tons of cargo.

The global winners are (1) Memphis (3 554 577 tons), (2) HongKong (3 132 449 tons) and (3) Tokyo Narita (i.e. "new" International) (2 373 133 tons). Vancouver, being ranked 27 and the only Canadian airport in top-30, handles less than 10% of cargo traffic of Tokyo does.
      Next:
      None Planned

Comment

YOW is not #5 that much I am sure of.Edmonton airports website lists YEG as #5 in terms of pax.I think YHZ maybe #6 then YOW at #7.

Comment

Originally posted by YEG boy
          YOW is not #5 that much I am sure of.Edmonton airports website lists YEG as #5 in terms of pax.I think YHZ maybe #6 then YOW at #7.
          My list is now updated, with actual numbers. Yes, YEG is number 5. But YOW won YHZ by 20000 pax, so it's number 6, at least for 2004.
          Next:
          None Planned

Comment

YOW's 2004 have not been released yet. Your numbers for YOW are from 2003.

2004, based on the monthly numbers, promises to be a record year for YOW, so expect significantly higher results.
            Will F.
            Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

canada has 10 airports?

Comment

who cares about canada??

Comment

Just an update, YOW's 2004 passenger traffic was the highest yet, estimated at 3,607,000.

And based on year-to-date daily averages, the airport is currently on pace for 3,805,855 passengers in 2005.
                  Will F.
                  Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                    canada has 10 airports?

Classic

Comment

Hey atleast our pilots dont ask for a de-ice when its 80f outside,CP north had a former us airways pilot up on a ''exchange'' program,they were routing YEG-YZF on a 732 it was early spring and a cool morning and he looked at the captain and asked should we de-ice?The cpt was blown away and gave a little canada 101 to the guy.Overall though it was in good humor,there were good laughs throughout...

Comment

yeah, cause you're the man if you dont de-ice

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                          YOW's 2004 have not been released yet. Your numbers for YOW are from 2003.

2004, based on the monthly numbers, promises to be a record year for YOW, so expect significantly higher results.
                          I didn't check the year since I assume everyone would have released the 2004 numbers (at least preliminary) for a while already. It's quite some "efficiency" for YOW if the number in its web site is still not updated, considering companies out there are already announcing their 2005 Q1 results!

By the way, YEG Boy, if you want to get the traffic numbers of all Canadian airports, you can buy it from Airport Council International (actually you will get the traffic numbers for all airports in that case). It will just cost you Euro 200.
                          Next:
                          None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                            canada has 10 airports?
                            OMFG...i read the title of this thread and was about to post the same thing. Thanks alot Emu...

Comment

I thought YEG handled more traffic then it seems. More than Boundary Bay/ZBB & Calgary Springbank/YBW

Comment

Working...
                              X