Photography @ MAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photography @ MAN

Here's a question concerning next Wednesday at MAN. As you're no doubt aware, MAN is expecting many football-related charters that day and a friend and I am considering flying over for the day, weather permitting. The question we have concerns the south side of the airport, which some reports have indicated might be off limits for that day. The trouble is, we can't determine whether they mean off limits to automobiles or off-limits to pedestrians. How long does it take to walk to the southside spots from the view park?

See http://www.ringwayreports.co.uk/cham...eaguefinal.htm and scroll to the bottom.
    Support Team Twin Towers: http://teamtwintowers.org/
    The Unofficial JFK Airport 50th Anniversary Page: http://members.tripod.com/~psa188/
    The best slide auction on the net:
    http://www.auctiontransportation.com/sites/psa188/

spotting MAN

Hi,
    The south side viewing areas will not be closed to pedestrians because the paths are public, the concern that the authorities have is that emergency crash gates will become blocked. It would appear that all lanes and roads leading to such gates will be closed to none resident road traffic, but there will be nothing to stop you walking in. I suggest that you catch a bus at the terminal,too the cargo centre, number 19 signed Altrincham, then walk towards the hangers, turn right along the fence line, this will bring you to the Romper public house, this is also near the AVP, so the dedicated bus will also come here. If you then walk towards the main road, turn left and keep walking. This will take you under the runway tunnels and to obvious access to the walkways. This area will only be of use for football traffic if they are landing 06R. If they are landing 24R, you will have to get to the Heald green end of the Airport. Turn right out of the terminal 1 or 3 and keep walking along the old ringway road, keeping the runway to the right. Eventualy you will pass the The Airport hotel public house and come to the landing lights, keep going until you come to an office block. Shoot from here or keep turning right until you come to the country lane side of the 24R threshold. aLL locations are an easy walk.

Cheers

Glenn Wheeler

Manchester.

Comment

OK i'm now completely confused about where to go on the 28th!

Wheres the best place to go on the 28th?

Joe,
      | My Photos | My Profile |

Comment

man

sorry if it was a bit confusing, basically it totally depends on wind direction, all the spots on the south side are of no use if they are landing on 24R, because the new runway 24R is the departure runway, fine if you just want normal Manchester traffic departing, problem is that all the football traffic doesnt depart till after midnight. Areas near the threshold of the landing runway 24r are in walking distance from the terminal 20 mins.

If they are landing from the west 06r the new runway becomes the landing runway, this would be most photographers prefered runway. the options for landing shots are vastly increased, walking time from the AVP or Cargo centre is about 20-30 mins.

cheers

Glenn Wheeler

Comment

I made my virst visit to the airport pub on wednesday last week. I didn't realise how good this area is for approach shots for 24R. Shame it rained all day, otherwise i would have stayed there longer. So depending on the wind, i am seriously thinking this may be a good place to be next wednesday, given that it'll be mostly inbound traffic we'll be wanting to watch on wednesday. Mind you, as Glenn says, if the winds are around the otherway, then southside looks good.
          No car for me on wednesday - i've decided on the train. I think traffic won't be good for drivers.
          Me thinks the avp will be a little busy and view restricted if you can't get on a mound/bus, and if sunny not the best place to take pics.

Comment

James, yes the airport htel pub beer garden is a great place to spend a sunny afternoon / evening. The Robinsons beer is a bit dodgy though !

Please be careful with your valuables, it is not the most honest of pubs.

Comment

Working...
            X