FedEx MD-11 Loses Engine Parts Over California Home, Still Flies to DFW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FedEx MD-11 Loses Engine Parts Over California Home, Still Flies to DFW

DANVILLE -- Moments after a Federal Express MD-11 cargo jet took off from Oakland International Airport, it lost at least three parts of one of its engines, dropping them on three homes in the Danville area.

"At 3:30 in the morning, my wife wakes me up and the door bell is ringing, ringing, ringing," said Jim Moura, who had a part land on his roof. "What the heck is going? I go to the door and the guy says: 'We're back again...to get the thing off the roof.' I said I don't want anyone up there at that time of the night. But he says they are already up there."

Moura said when the part hit his roof it sounded like "a truck hitting the house."

Residents -- who live east of Interstate Highway 680 on Turrini Circle, Betten Court and Adobe Drive -- also said they were told not to take pictures of the parts by the Danville Fire Department.

A Federal Express spokesman said the jet took off from its Oakland sub-hub at about 8:10 p.m. Monday. It landed in Texas at 1:30 a.m. local time.

"The plane made it safely to Dallas from Oakland," Hicks said. "It's unusual. Something like that rarely happens." (no shiznit)

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Sure this was an MD-11? Sounds more like something that would happen to a DC-10 (aka MD-10) .

ps: I just love eyewitness reports on any aviation-related incidents .

Comment

There is TFOA all the time. Did they say what the parts were?

Comment

The headline on Fark.com read:

"FedEx cargo plane air-delivers Pratt & Whitney jet engine parts to Danville, CA neighborhood, free of charge"
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Residents -- who live east of Interstate Highway 680 on Turrini Circle, Betten Court and Adobe Drive -- also said they were told not to take pictures of the parts by the Danville Fire Department.
          What bullshit! If something lands on my house, your god-damn right I'm gonna take pictures. The fire department doesn't own somebodys house, and engine parts shouldn't be landing on it. Also pictures would be useful when you go to collect compensation for repairs that might be needed to be done to the house if any damage is caused if the company doesn't wanna pay.

Although the incident is interesting, things such as the "no pictures allowed" pisses me off.

Comment

Some geezer is on there (video) and goes "The police swamed my house and took it without permission". This isnt "finders keepers" grandpa. Some people are realy realy stupid when it comes to aviation. I can say this was BLOWN OUT OF PORPORTION!
            -Kevin

Comment

Working...
            X