Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's ridiculous how much you have to spend for a first class international seat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if there are not many tickets sold at that price, there is a demand for them.
    Let's take a look at the following scenario:
    A business traveller, a manager at a large company, has the chance to close a deal worth several million $$$ for his company. However, he is in Frankfurt, and has to be in Hong Kong the next evening. He needs to get a last minute-ticket to get there in time and needs space to do work in preparation of the deal on his lap top. Business and a First are booked solid most arlines, and there are only a few seats available at $16k. All cheaper flights only arrive after the meeting is to have happened. So, his only chance is to pay the 16k (paid by his company) to secure the million-dollar deal.
    While that is not a scenario that happens hundreds of times each day, it does happen, and unless a company operates their own business jets (which could easily cost more than 16k for such a flight), they need those seats, and are willing to pay a premium for it.

Comment

Adding to Colin, some business people who go to the extend of renting either a GV or a Falcon 900, just to make sure they keep time under control, aka, no delay, no queues or whatever else dotting the operation of airliners. About the costs, it depends, but in this case, your Falcon 900/GV flies a complete team. In addition to the manager, add a couple of advisers and other fixers to make sure the deal won't go awry.
      Alain
      Thanks for visiting
      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
      *JetPhotos*
      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

flyfirst, as long as it works for the airline, whats the problem?

I can't afford it either, so what do I do if I want to fly first? build up my miles...
        Wu Tang Clan: best rap group of all time

Save hip-hop, bring talent and intelligence back into it

Comment

Originally posted by KBOSv2
          flyfirst, as long as it works for the airline, whats the problem?

I can't afford it either, so what do I do if I want to fly first? build up my miles...
          yup, that's what freaky flier miles are for

Comment

I think there is someone who is a ticket agent for United here!

Comment

It's important to note that a price of $16,000 for an international F seat is almost unheard of, especially these days. You can do a same day purchase, two day trip JFK-DUB in Emirates F, considered by many to be the best F class in the sky, for around $10,000. I've seen F tickets to Oceana price to about $12k, but never higher than that. You can get full F tickets (not A, or Z) to Asia from the U.S. for as little as $4,500 on occasion.

In the last two years, come December, I will have flown:

LAS-MAN-LAS in bmi business
              LAS-LHR-LAS in UA business
              LAS-KIX-LAS in UA First
              LAS-CDG-LAS in Continental BusinessFirst
              LAS-MAD-LAS in Continental BusinessFirst

.. and possibly (still trying to decide if I want to go through the hassle of getting a visa) SLC-GIG-SLC in Continental BusinessFirst.

None of these trips have cost me more than $2,000. In fact, the Rio ticket prices out to $1440 in Z, the same price as coach. Keep in mind that these are not upgraded tickets, but were all purchased at published fares.

If you are able to book in advance (normally 50 days +), you can score major deals with Z fares. I have routinely booked A fares within the U.S. on several airlines for less than the published coach fare. Most people have just been trained to assume that premium classes will be so many times more expensive than coach, and don't even look for them... which doesn't bother me any, because the longer this pretty well kept secret sticks around, the more availability there will be for me!
              Last edited by Chris Kilroy; 2005-05-12, 19:49.
              Trump is an idiot!
              Vote Democrats!!

Comment

I'm surprised noboby has mentioned the fact that most people up in First Class just upgraded there for free using their miles.

(Where's the DUH emoticon?)
                Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
                  ... this is a very laid back forum and the likes of mr JeffinDEN wont hesistate to wind up those members who will bite their bait
                  I didn't wind him up, I think he was asking for it. I mean come on.... He doesn't like Italian food!

Comment

But he likes Chinese, which as we have seen before is not quite as expensive as emu's Indian food. But there are some similarity's. not between Indian and Italian, but Chinese and Italian, because of Marco Polo. that's what my boss said, and I guess he would know since he owns an Italian restaurant...

Comment

Listen jeffinDen, I don't live under a rock!! I will try to say this in a non-stuffy way. I come from a privileged community in Los Angeles and the last thing you can say is that I live under a rock. Just because some people are wealthy and can spend that much money doesn't mean that they find that a good price!!! For 16,000, you can use it on education and other things. Oh and I know I said that the Chinese food thing was over but I was just using it as an example and didn't mean to get off hand. You are the ones who are getting off hand by over-analyzing my reasoning!I CAN afford it but I can't see any sense in paying that much because there are better ways to use that money! You would not be able to say that a rich person has expensive cars! Maybe they have decent cars! Don't be stereotypical! Why are you attacking me! All I just said was that I believe it is a bit much to spend on one ticket when you can spend it on something else. I gave an example using Chinese food never intending to degenerate it! Then you start jumping to conclusions! How do you know I can't afford it . Just because I disagree with the price doesn't mean I can't afford it!Think you are starting to get it? I'm not trying to stir things up, I'm just backing up my story and clarifying things! Okay?
                      Words are not enough to justify reasonings!

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                        Chinese food is good, but Indian food is better. I could go for some Naan right now.
                        Naan is Hevenly. Especially when you toss a little sog on your plate next to it. If you ever have the chance to be in Denver and have the time i'll take you to a great Indian buffet in Boulder.

Comment

Thank you PT737SWA, I'm glad you mentioned that. I use my miles instead of money. That is how I do it and maybe that's how I fly first, instead of paying the full price! So don't say it's ironic and don't be stereotypical!

Comment

Originally posted by flyfirst
                            Listen jeffinDen, I don't live under a rock!! I will try to say this in a non-stuffy way. I come from a privileged community in Los Angeles and the last thing you can say is that I live under a rock. Just because some people are wealthy and can spend that much money doesn't mean that they find that a good price!!! For 16,000, you can use it on education and other things. Oh and I know I said that the Chinese food thing was over but I was just using it as an example and didn't mean to get off hand. You are the ones who are getting off hand by over-analyzing my reasoning!I CAN afford it but I can't see any sense in paying that much because there are better ways to use that money! You would not be able to say that a rich person has expensive cars! Maybe they have decent cars! Don't be stereotypical! Why are you attacking me! All I just said was that I believe it is a bit much to spend on one ticket when you can spend it on something else. I gave an example using Chinese food never intending to degenerate it! Then you start jumping to conclusions! How do you know I can't afford it . Just because I disagree with the price doesn't mean I can't afford it!Think you are starting to get it? I'm
                            not trying to stir things up, I'm just backing up my story and clarifying things! Okay?

If you have the money for a 16,000$ First Class flight....(I dont even have that kind of money) why are you complaining. Just drop it, people pay for it meaning the airlines offer it. Period. They dont care if you pay for it as long as someone does. If you dont want to pay the outrageous price than fly Business or Economy...if you cant handle being with the "ingrates" (Lol, i heard a man in first class call them that and i felt like puking because he was just a non rev'er trying to impress a rich chick in First...) Also on a side note, i tried to stir things up when i first got here. All it does is make you sound stupid and get you banned for weeks at a time. Just start out easy so you can earn respect.

Comment

JeffinDen, do you pay that price? For that money I would rather fly private instead! It just doesn't make sense to me regardless of who you are that anyone would be okay with paying that much.

And you people find me guilty of organizing this mess?

Maybe I do have the money! I have been trying to tell you that I think it is too much just to pay for one seat! You are so stereotypical! Do you think that all rich peolple stay in suites and less fortunate people stay in the standard rooms? No. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE CAN AFFORD SOMETHING DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY ARE WILLING TO PAY THAT PRICE. SURE I CAN RESERVE A SEAT FOR THAT PRICE BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME BECAUSE I THINK THERE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS!

All I just did was state my opinion and gave a few examples and you took it the wrong way by over analyzing it too much! If you people would just take the time to try to understand people I think you would be a lot more successful and earn some respect!

Comment

If people wanna pay $16000 for a LAX-LHR first class ticket then I am not going to stop them-they are effectively subsidizing cheapa$$es like me who don't wanna pay more than $XXX for a few days in SoCal, not to mention that I would expect that most first class fares are paid out of travel expense accounts and not personal finances so in most cases time and working efficiency are more important than cost.

And like Jeff said, it is all related to affordability-a lot of people on these boards would not consider spending $500 on a camera lens that only gets used once a month, but that purchase represented value for money from my perspective.

Matt
                                My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Working...
                                X