X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA launch Virgin bid campaign to stop Virgin/bmi tie

BA mulls bid for Virgin Atlantic -paper
    Monday May 26, 3:17 am ET

LONDON, May 26 (Reuters) - British Airways (London:BAY.L - News) is mulling a possible takeover bid for arch-rival Virgin Atlantic Airways as a way of scuppering a planned merger between Virgin and BMI British Midland, the Financial Times reported on Monday.

BA Chief Executive Rod Eddington has called an emergency meeting with other top managers to come up with a response to the threatened tie-up between the two biggest competitors at its London Heathrow hub, the paper said, citing no sources.

A top Virgin Atlantic executive said on Sunday that the company, run by British entrepreneur Richard Branson, looked at the possibility earlier this year of bidding for BA before deciding to pursue talks instead with BMI British Midland .

Short-haul carrier BMI is the second-biggest holder -- behind BA -- of much sought-after takeoff and landing slots at Heathrow.

Full-service airlines around the world have suffered a slump in demand since the September 11 2001 attacks on the United States, with the effects of the recent war in Iraq and the SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) virus piling on the pressure
    Airline Route News
    Airline Route Map Drawings

Well this is getting interesting, first Virgin wants BA and now BA wants Virgin?? Sounds like a couple of CEO's acting like children. Should be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Comment

interesting and confusing
      Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

A BA takeover of Virgin would more than likely be denied by the British gov't, but they did allow BA to take over BCal. I think the only reason why BA is wanting to do this is to get rid of a major thorn in their side since 1984. A Virgin/bmi British Midland tieup would be for the greater good of the country as that would provide a true second flag carrier competitor to BA.

Comment

I hope this doesnt happen. I love seeing the Virgin tail around the world

Comment

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Virgin Atlantic lol 'screw BA'
            Some people in today's society are so thick!

Comment

I don't think we will see a headline in one of those British tabloids that reads "BRITISH SCREW VIRGIN".
              The surest sign intelligent life exists elsewhere in universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Comment

Originally posted by NoUFO
                I don't think we will see a headline in one of those British tabloids that reads "BRITISH SCREW VIRGIN".

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Working...
                X