Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot perks

Hi guys,

Was just wondering what kind of perks you get as a commercial airline pilot in regards to free flights/discounts. I am pretty sure that Qantas give 90% off (or thereabouts) to all in the pilot's immediate family (including him or her). Am I right?
    What kind of things to other airlines offer?

Thanks

Well, you get as much booze as you want if you're a pilot for America West

Comment

Plus you get to work weird hours, stay in cheesey hotels, wear goofy clothes, and be away from your family for extended periods. Pay union dues for years and not get a pension! I guess that is worth 90% off a ticket.

Comment

Exactly....
        Bite me Airways.....

Comment

The hours that you work depend on the type of aircraft that you fly and the airline, all pilots at NW can bid whatever trip they want, so really the type of routes they do is essentually up to them depending on their seniority. As for perks, at NW after I believe 5 full years of service is when coach becomes free, and FC has a minimal fee, however, this just changed, now $50 a year per person will get us as much flying as we want, though there was no restrictions before. After 1 year of service you pay minimal fees to fly stand-by, for the first year, you dont get any of the non-rev good benefits, other then essentually 75% off of a full fare ticket. Hotels can be good and bad, just depends on what city, my dad will sometimes have to stay at a Holiday (thats the lowest it gets, which usually isnt too bad) and sometimes he will stay at Courtyard by Marriot or Embassy Suites, again, just depends on the city and how long they are there, for long layover, NW puts crews in Downtown, shorter ones stay near the airport. Also being away from the family depends on the aircraft, my dad is usaully gone 5 days a week, however if he flew the 747 he might be gone for 2 weeks strait and be home 2 weeks strait. Etc.

Comment

At SWA myself and my immediate family travel for free on WN and we have a can get an ID90 on any other airline if my airline has an agreement with them. Next month I'm using a ID90s on AA so the wife and I can go to San Juan for a week, but when I bought 4 tickets to take the kids to Orlando in August because I really don't like non-revving with my kids (and all that extra baggage!).

Like someone said, it's the least the airline can do for us...we do work weird hours, spend time away from our families, and some of the hotels we stay in are down right scary. Jeez look at the NW guy that got mugged at his hotel in Detroit.

Comment

flight benefits vary from airline to airline, and the only benefit a pilot gets that other employees dont get is cockpit jumpseat priviledges and that is limited to intracompany flights...

Comment

Air Canada employees and families do not get travel - they get reduced rate standby tickets, what I believe are based on mileage. I think for an overseas flight it is typically about $150 return per person. You can purchase priority upgrades for another $90, generally so that you have a better chance of making the flight. There are all kinds of restrictions, like the employees children can only travel if they are under the age of 18 or being a student. I believe there are agreements for other Star Alliance carriers, however for carriers outside of this a Zed fare is needed or else you're out of luck. AC really hasn't been treating their employees too well recently.

Oh, and the Flight Dispatchers get jumpseats for FAM flights and if arrangements are made in advance.

Comment

You are correct Legend. At one time we did receive free flights, however after the merger with CP we got CP's method of charging employees. The upgrade he talks about is a C1 pass. We call it the Queue jumper. It allows you to buy your way to the front of the queue and bypass the senior employees.

Comment

In the USAir system, we get unlimited space A for family if you're married. This includes wife, and kids under 18, or 23 if they're in college. If you're single, your parents and a specified companion get it instead. Also get 8 buddy passes a year.

FC upgrades are something like 30 bucks.

BTW, Canyon Blue and 9103, (and any other pilot on our reciprocal list). Our 800 number we use for listing ourselves is also available for offline j/s listing.
                    Bite me Airways.....

Comment

You get hot F/A..u get to mingle with them in the hotels at night after a long flight

also you had job security..

ohh wait. im thinking before deregulation!! sorry folks!!!

Alex
                      Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

You're kidding about the F/A thing right?
                        Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
                          Plus you get to work weird hours, stay in cheesey hotels, wear goofy clothes, and be away from your family for extended periods. Pay union dues for years and not get a pension! I guess that is worth 90% off a ticket.

COuld not have said it better myself. I love airlines and want to be a pilot someday but i am hoping for better days where the industry is more stabel. Apart from tht being a pilot (hell, being a flight attendant or even working any job that is not in the corporate departement) and having a family is hell.

Anyway, for AirTran employees, immidiate family members (wife and kids as well as parents) and the employee get unlimited free flights on all AirTran flights, including all flights that are being operated on AirTran's behalf (for example last year, AirTran employees flew for free on MiamiAir flights to FLL, AirWisky JetConnect flights and the Ryan International Airways flights to the west coast).
                          We also get discounts on other carriers, and we have extensive agreements with complanies like DHL and FedEx,SouthAfrican Airways e.c.t. On Delta we have to pay 10% of the highest published fare (of the route that you want to fly) to get a standby ticket. And the list goes on...

On AA, employees never got free flights unless they were deadheaded or headed for training. All employees and family members were catagorized by D1(the employee flying on leisure), D2(immidiate family) or D3(persone that recieved a pass from the employee). You had to pay a discounted rate for each ticket. But things have changed alot since Sept 11th. Last I heard that employees travelled free in coach but had to pay to be upgraded.

On DL, the immidiate family recieves "family pass" cards that allow free travel for immidiate family and then the employee must pay a discouted rate for the tickets that they give away.

In each case the employee is given a certain amount of "buddy-passes" each year. For AirTran each costs 50 dollars. For AA and DL you have to pay a heavily discounted rate.
                          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy
                            yeah.. i'd love to get with one of those grandma Delta Flight attendats..

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy
                              I am reffering when the F/A had to be single, unmarried, unpregnant and hot as hell looking THOSE DAYS..hence,, before deregulation

Alex

900TH POST!
                              Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Working...
                              X