EADS Pick Alabama For New U.S. Site - Sources Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EADS Pick Alabama For New U.S. Site - Sources Say

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - European defense contractor EADS has picked a site in Mobile, Alabama to build an engineering facility that may be expanded into a manufacturing facility, sources familiar with the decision said on Tuesday. EADS will build the facility, which will initially employ about 150 people, at the Mobile Downtown Airport, said the sources, who asked not to be identified.

Source: http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...ADS-USA-DC.XML

Regards.
    TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Such PR announcements by EADS are moot if they dont get US Military contracts. I dont think that the French would allow a US facility to start assembling and manufacturing Civilian Airbus Products eh?
    adaequatio rei et intellectus

Comment

Originally posted by vojoboy
      Such PR announcements by EADS are moot if they dont get US Military contracts. I dont think that the French would allow a US facility to start assembling and manufacturing Civilian Airbus Products eh?
      I agree with you. But EADS is French, German and Spanish not only French.

However, Boeing has sold military aircraft to European countries and they don't have any assembly facility in Europe.

So I think the EADS approach is "friendlier" then Boeing's, don't you?

Regards.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Originally posted by TAP-A343
        I agree with you. But EADS is French, German and Spanish not only French.

However, Boeing has sold military aircraft to European countries and they don't have any assembly facility in Europe.

So I think the EADS approach is "friendlier" then Boeing's, don't you?

Regards.
        There is still a big difference. EADS will spend Billions of Dollars building a facility just to "assemble" 100 refueling tankers? If I'm an investor, why would I invest in a company that would spend billions without a "reasonable" ROI? I have nothing against EADS winning the tanker deal based on merits. However, I just dont see the economic sense of building facility in the US just for the tankers the same facility can also be used to assemble Civil Airliners. Do you think that Toulouse (or Hamburg to some extent) will allow a US facility to assemble civil aircraft? I dont think so.

Comment

There is still a big difference. EADS will spend Billions of Dollars building a facility just to "assemble" 100 refueling tankers? If I'm an investor, why would I invest in a company that would spend billions without a "reasonable" ROI? I have nothing against EADS winning the tanker deal based on merits. However, I just dont see the economic sense of building facility in the US just for the tankers the same facility can also be used to assemble Civil Airliners. Do you think that Toulouse (or Hamburg to some extent) will allow a US facility to assemble civil aircraft? I dont think so.
          EADS has said it would expand the facility and invest up to $600 million, employing over 1,000 highly paid aircraft engineers, if it wins a large enough share of a pending competition for new U.S. Air Force refueling tankers.
          EADS are not saying that they will spend billions of dollars. The article says "build an engineering facility that may be expanded into a manufacturing facility" not an assembly facility.

Considering that this tanker order is worth at least 20 billion dollars, an extra 600 million of investment (even if they don't get the whole order) seems an excellent ROI to me. And more orders could follow if the American Congress would allow.

Regards.

www.flytap.com

Comment

EADS are not saying that they will spend billions of dollars. The article says "build an engineering facility that may be expanded into a manufacturing facility" not an assembly facility.

Considering that this tanker order is worth at least 20 billion dollars, an extra 600 million of investment (even if they don't get the whole order) seems an excellent ROI to me. And more orders could follow if the American Congress would allow.

Regards.
            20 billion dollars? are you sure? those guys up in toulouse must be smoking something eh? (unless they consider replacing the KC-135 and KC-10 fleet on a one-to-one basis)

An Engineering facility would make sense but wouldnt all design work for the KC-330 already been done given that both the French, UK and Australian Airforces have procured it?

I dont believe that it will be a manufacturing facility. All previous EADS Press Releases are geared towards having most of the final assembly done here in the US (unless the plan has changed). I dont believe that $600 million dollars is enough to build such facility unless it involves a local partner like Northrop Grumman.

Comment

20 billion dollars? are you sure? those guys up in toulouse must be smoking something eh? (unless they consider replacing the KC-135 and KC-10 fleet on a one-to-one basis)
              Congress last year killed a proposed $23.5 billion Air Force deal to lease and buy an initial 100 converted Boeing 767s as refueling tankers
              Is this number from Toulouse?

Regards.

www.flytap.com

Comment

barring any unforseen (and rather drastic, so far as recent policy is concerned) shifts in market and USA gov't practices...

...this whole thing seems to be something of an exercise in futility for Airbus.
                Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Is this number from Toulouse?

Regards.
                  Touche!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy
                    barring any unforseen (and rather drastic, so far as recent policy is concerned) shifts in market and USA gov't practices...

...this whole thing seems to be something of an exercise in futility for Airbus.
                    I would say this is rather an exercise of political pressure over the American Congress concerning the WTO dispute.

Regards.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Perhaps.

But I was speaking more of the fact that the USA military has rarely relied on a foreign manufacturer, and ~never~ to supply replacements for an entire class of aircraft...

...and regardless as to whether one agrees or disagrees with said policy; I certainly couldn't see it changing, in this, the Bush Administration-inspired Rainbow-era of strategic-xenophobia.

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy
                        Perhaps.

But I was speaking more of the fact that the USA military has rarely relied on a foreign manufacturer, and ~never~ to supply replacements for an entire class of aircraft...

...and regardless as to whether one agrees or disagrees with said policy; I certainly couldn't see it changing, in this, the Bush Administration-inspired Rainbow-era of strategic-xenophobia.
                        I see what you mean.

France and Germany are not exactly on the country "love-list" at the moment, of the Bush Administration and vice-versa, I would say.

Regards.

www.flytap.com

Comment

France and Germany are not exactly on the country "love-list" at the moment, of the Bush Administration and vice-versa, I would say.
                          ...and taking that perspective into account, while it's easy to blame this administration for a lot of things, can one truly blame them so far as disregarding Europe as a tanker contender?

I think not.

Again, regardless as to how anyone feels about the merits of the Iraq war II, the fact remains that France (and to a lesser effect, Germany) did absolutely everything it could to thwart USA militaristic intentions both before and immediately following the 2003 invasion.

There is little reason to believe that stifling aircraft deliveries wouldn't have been included in those efforts.

Check it out!

Comment

I'm sick and tired of Alabama getting everything! Savannah would have been a better location, the State of Georgia has a site they've been pushing for some sort of manufacturing plant, Savannah has a very good port, and there is a ready made pool of skilled aircraft assembly workers in the area (Gulfstream's plant is in the Savannah area). When Boeing did there charade of looking at other locations to build the 787, Savannah came up due to the skilled aerospace labor in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by srbmod
                              I'm sick and tired of Alabama getting everything! Savannah would have been a better location, the State of Georgia has a site they've been pushing for some sort of manufacturing plant, Savannah has a very good port, and there is a ready made pool of skilled aircraft assembly workers in the area (Gulfstream's plant is in the Savannah area). When Boeing did there charade of looking at other locations to build the 787, Savannah came up due to the skilled aerospace labor in the area.
                              Well apparently something is keeping manufacturing companies away from Savannah. There are probably issues that are not openly known. I know AL has received many manufacturing plants in recent years due in a large part to MUCH lower land prices, not to mention tax breaks/incentives compared to neighboring states. Having a decent local talent pool is important, but I'm sure plenty of people would move anywhere if the money is right. IMO, if Savannah wants more manufacturers from varying sectors, they should do more to lure them in.
                              Bama sux, War Eagle!

Comment

Working...
                              X