Pilots in 2002 Ukraine Airshow Crash Get Jail Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilots in 2002 Ukraine Airshow Crash Get Jail Time

LVIV, Ukraine -- A military court in Ukraine has sentenced the pilots whose plane smashed into a crowd at a 2002 air show to up to 14 years in prison.

Seventy-seven people were killed when the pilots' Sukhoi Su-27 fighter jet hit the ground and exploded near Lviv, western Ukraine. More than two dozen children were among the victims.

The two pilots whose plane caused the world's worst air show disaster ejected and survived.

A court in the town, about 550 kilometers (330 miles) from the capital, Kiev, on Friday found the two pilots as well as three military officials guilty of failing to fulfil orders, negligence and violating flight rules, according to Reuters.

An investigating commission ruled the pilots had tried to pull off a risky maneuver at too low an altitude.

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

ugh, that crash still scares the hell out of me. Seeing the wing slice through the static display sends chills up my spine.

These pilots should be lucky they are alive in this first place, the jail sentence is justified in my eyes if they did not follow orders.

Still, a very sad crash that was.

Comment

Working...
    X