Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a vehicle to reach 999,999 miles??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has there ever been a vehicle to reach 999,999 miles??

I've always wondered, how high will the odometer read before it starts over? I've always thought it would go up to 999ks, but some people say it rolls back over at 299ks. And when it does roll back over, there's some kind of makr that's burned into the tire to let people know that it's started over. Has anyone ever heard of a vehicle getting to 999'999 miles, or at least rolling over at some point?

Not miles but in Germany I saw some documentaries on TV featuring cars which reached more than 1 million km. I even think that the transporter I saw on TV (I think it was a Mercedes) had something around 1,5 million km.
    Some months ago there was a VW Golf in TV which had something around 980.000 km and the driver said that he is treating that car with very much care to get it over 1.000.000km to have it stored in a museum. Don't know what happened to that guy, though.

Edit: just searched a bit and there is a taxi driver which has a Mercedes which went over the million mark with the same engine.

And I just read that the Golf apparently made it to 1M .

The Tupolev Tu-114.
    World speed record holder for turboprop aircraft.

Comment

Just start asking taxi drivers and you'll soon find cars that have done over 1000000 miles.
      YBBN - James

Comment

It's not uncommon for city transit buses to go over 1,000,000 miles. Intercity coaches also go over 1,000,000 miles. The frames are designed to hold up that long, and major components need to be swapped out, but they do last that long if well cared for. The trick is getting the odometer to last 1,000,000 miles.

Mike
        Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
        lp.org

Comment

While my old Jetta rolled over to zero at 299,999 km I know a guy with an old Rabbit that did make the 999,999 km and went beyond that.

Comment

a vehicle to reach 999,999 miles?

Probably the Space Shuttle.

Comment

Well, Al Bundy's Dodge sure did .
              And on a more serious side, many busses used in large metropolitan areas reach the 999,999mi mark. Heck it even happens in medium metro areas like Hamburg.

Comment

lol, when I first saw this I thought the question was about any vehicles reaching 999,999 miles per hour

Regardubg the question in the first post: at which point does the odometer turns over to zero depends on the design acoording to the purpose. If it's just your regular car, it's probably less complicated to make it return to 0 at 299,999 or 399,999 whatever.

With all those 1970s MCI coaches still running strong, I wouldn't be surprised if they get past 2 million

Comment

One 1994 Honda Accord had reach 1,000,000,000 miles with all orignal parts.

Comment

In addition to parisian mass transit company majority of buses, some exemples I personally know of
                    - an uncle reaching the milestone with a Peugeot 403 sedan. Took 21 years from 1961 to complete. The car was finally purshased by a collector in 1989 in running condition.
                    - an acquaintance whose used to drive a Toyota Land Cruiser
                    Alain
                    Thanks for visiting
                    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                    *JetPhotos*
                    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

I recall reading about someone's Mercedes 220D that had gone a million miles since the early '60s somewhere here in North America. Around here the trick is getting the frame and body to last that long given the daily dose of salt most vehicles get during the winter months.

There was also a taxi driver in Montreal that had been using the same car since 1964....it was a '63 Plymouth Fury. Some jerk totalled it running a red light, ending the driver's career and totalling the car which had a million miles on it as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X