Airshow help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airshow help.

I'm going to the Indianapolis airshow this weekend, and I am going to take my camera with me (olympus C-765UZ). The blue angles are going to be there, and I need some help with technique, as they will be moving very fast. Should auto mode keep the planes from getting blurry? Should I pan with the planes to make sure I get them?

I am not overly familiar with the C-765, so I am not sure what its focus tracking capabilities are. If it supports "predictive" type focusing...I would definetly say pan with your subject.
    Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
    EF 50mm 1.4 USM
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 28-135mm IS USM
    EF 70-200mm f4L
    EF 100-400L IS
    1.4X II Teleconverter
    Canon 420EX Speedlite
    Canon 430EX Speedlite
    Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by predictive. Panning is how I take most of my shots of airliners (is this how I should be doing it), but I figure the blue angles will be moving much much faster.

Comment

I have the C-765UZ and am very familiar with it. (it was my airliner camera before I bought my D70)

I went to an airshow one weekend with it. I was around 50 yards from where they were proforming (the Thunderbirds). I just left it on either "Sports" mode or Aperture priority, take a few test shots and see how they look, then adjust your camera to that...good luck
        Bobby DeBarge
        www.debargephoto.com
        http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
        1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
          ...but I figure the blue angles will be moving much much faster.
          You're killing me with this blue angles stuff. You might try Blue Angels. Angles don't fly.

Set your camera to "continous focus" vs. single shot. That way, as long as you have your finger partially depressing the shutter, the camera will attempt to focus on what is within the focus point.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
            I'm not sure what you mean by predictive. Panning is how I take most of my shots of airliners (is this how I should be doing it), but I figure the blue angles will be moving much much faster.
            As long as your camera will maintain focus on a subject while you pan with it, than yes, thats how you should be doing it. As trivial as it sounds, if your camera will stay focused on a moving subject, than all that matters is that you are able to pan as fast as they are moving without losing focus.
            Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
            EF 50mm 1.4 USM
            EF-S 18-55mm
            EF 28-135mm IS USM
            EF 70-200mm f4L
            EF 100-400L IS
            1.4X II Teleconverter
            Canon 420EX Speedlite
            Canon 430EX Speedlite
            Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

If your camera has a burst mode, or something similar, that may help as well.

Comment

Thanks everybody. I bet the blue ANGELS will be fun to watch. A bit nervous though. I'll be right up front.

Comment

When watching their display, be sure to watch out behind you...

Comment

Good luck...I suck at airshow stuff...not quite managed to work it all out yet. I tried quite a few different combinations last weekend with a 20D & 100-400 combo and still managed to get some of it spectacularly wrong. Did manage some nice stuff too, but it was generally the slower moving stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer
                      When watching their display, be sure to watch out behind you...
                      Gotta keep your head on a swivel to keep from getting the snot scared out of ya by that tactical surprise pass.
                      Wayne Dippold

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
                        If your camera has a burst mode, or something similar, that may help as well.
                        I wouldn't suggest this, you'll just waste memory space. I'm not sure what kind of camera this is. Really the only time you would need this is the crossing shots. I've been told when I asked this question to get to know your shutter delay.

Watch one of the aircraft and when they start to bank, shoot. I tend to watch the one coming from my left and keep my right eye open to catch the one coming from the right.

this was taken with a one press of the shutter button

Granted, I missed way more than I got at this airshow. You will want a higher shutter speed with the jets though. I tend to use sport, and then figure out an aparture and then go manual with the settings.

Comment

My camera had a really hard time focusing on the aerobatic planes, but I got some good photos. I shot all auto because the airshow only happens once a year.

Comment

Working...
                          X