Canon 100-400 IS vs.Canon 70-300 DO vs. Sigma 80-400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B7772ADL
    I've had the 100-400 for the last 18 months. I'm pretty convinved that the push pull mech is the cause of the sensor dust that plagues my 20D, but I could be wrong.
    I like the push-pull, it just feels so natural.

However, I am starting to consider a replacement for it. I'm finding with mine anything over 300mm is pretty unusable (soft), but again this might just be my copy. The IS failed too, fortunately covered by the warranty.

I thought about the Sigma 80-400 recently and it seems the speed of the autofocus is its weakness (from what I read on D-preview forums). There's nothing like the lightning fast reaction from the 100-400.

My current thoughts for a replacement are the 70-200 f2.8 LIS and a 300mm f4 prime, both used in combo with the 1.4x i've already got. Expensive though.
    Maybe the Sigma 100-300 F4, for the same amount you get the 300mm prime you can either get the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 or maybe the 28-300L or 35-350L.
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL
      I thought about the Sigma 80-400 recently and it seems the speed of the autofocus is its weakness (from what I read on D-preview forums). There's nothing like the lightning fast reaction from the 100-400.
      Oh , I havent thought it was that bad, as you say, but Mr. Rowson, you havent used that lens personally? ?
      All Im worried about is that sensor dusts that can be annoying to clean off before shooting and maybe during shooting, that because you have to clean it.
      The thing about the 50-500 and 170-500 from Sigma is that the max aperture at 500mm is f6.3, and for cloudy days is not the best.
      But for overall shooting except cloudy days , the lens is okey, fine, average, great, sux, or whatever ??

Yeah, I have actually thought about the 50-500 *HSM* .

Argh, I cant decide.....
      Is it possible to let this thread keep on going for advices, Thanks,

But right now its pointing towards the Sigma on what to own.. Maybe you can change my mind.. I dont want to ruin myself after 1 month where I would be wanting a replacement for that..
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by OY-KBN
        Argh, I cant decide....
        Me neither now..

Cleaning lenses worries me enough, cleaning the sensor would probably start pushing gray hairs up.

Comment

I've had a 100-400L for about 5 months now. Never had an issue with dust. Love the push/pull design.

I'd get that lens over any of the others' mentioned. Especially the Bigmas, you simply cannot compare.
          Cheers,

John Tavendale

Comment

Originally posted by Johnt
            Especially the Bigmas, you simply cannot compare.
            Wanna bet?

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
              Wanna bet?
              Your recent photos all of a sudden seem have more warmth and color to them. Besides the lens, what are you doing differently?

Comment

The lens

Comment

Nothing wrong with the BIGMA apart from its low light capture. Now if only Sigma would pull their fingers out and add OS to the BIGMA....Mmmmmmm!!!!

A lot of my latest uploads are with the BIGMA if you want to see what it can do.

Cheers!

Rez

Comment

Originally posted by Rez Manzoori
                    Nothing wrong with the BIGMA apart from its low light capture. Now if only Sigma would pull their fingers out and add OS to the BIGMA....Mmmmmmm!!!!
                    Yes thank you, Hope that will happen soon enough ...

Couldnt they have added OS together with HSM on that Bigma ?

Eric:
                    I dropped me jaw when I viewed that Citation X, Nice capture Man.

Comment

I briefly owned a 100-400 and found that when the lens is extended while aimed upwards, for example at a bird in flight, dust would fall onto the sensor spots to appear on subsequent images. I repeated this "test" twice having cleaned the sensor using the Copper Hill method.Where the dust came from is not clear but it is likely that air sucked into the lens by the push pull action [the lens is not sealed] displaced dust already in the lens or camera causing some to settle on the sensor when the camera was pointed upwards.
                      I didnt know, Can that be a huge problem when you are standing at the field, trying maybe to catch an high-above flying plane, and all suddenly at the next image, you have dustspots? Have anyone experienced this ?
                      Yes, the 80-400 is a "reverse twister" from the traditional zoom turning direction. I can see how this could be problematic in itself for some, but for me, the push-pull/twist issue is much more about hand placement and reliabily fixing a frame without unintentionally changing the focal length or established focus.
                      Oh really ? I guess its all about getting used to either the Push-pull Zoom by Canon or the Reverse-twist zoom from Sigma?

-----------------------------------------------
                      My choice would be from now that I would love to get in hand on that 80-400, Although it lacks of the HSM, which was a big mistake by Sigma,(Cant believe they didnt include this on that one)Oh well I heard they should be coming with an upgraded version next year at around spring time. ready for the people at summer.
                      .........................................................................

Comment

John
                        If you own a DSLR you have dust problems.......fact.......... so don't get too hung up over it.
                        All telephoto zoom lenses will give you dust problems.As you zoom in and out air is drawn in or expelled.None are dust proof as we can hardly smear a bead of sealent around the moving parts.
                        The amount of dust spots will depend on factors such as length of zoom (more air displacement) number of lens changes,your environment while shooting and changing lenses, and how you look after your gear......put the protectors on so as to keep the rear end of the lens clean.
                        Just remember that sensor dust will always be part of owning a DSLR. None of them are going to dump a barrow load of dirt in your camera between shots. So just concentrate on the decision of which lens to buy.

Greg
                        My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

So be it..Thanks everybody for all your responses.(Help)
                          I realize that Greg's fact is right.

Comment

See some pics tomorrow eh....................

Greg
                            My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Hey all:

I own the Sigma 80-400 EX and I can tell you its a pretty awesome lens. I have used the 100-400...and its a great lens...but the twist zoom on the Sigma wins hands down. The Sigma is exceptionally sharp...and the OS works great. Also...if you think that 20mm difference means nothing...think again...it means you can squeeze in that 737-800 on the taxiway instead of not getting it. I'm sorry...I love Canon "L" glass...I really really do...but for $400 less the Sigma beats the Canon, hands down.. I dont have all my Sigma pics posted yet...but I have a lot...check em out!
                              Brad Kostelny
                              Southwest Airlines Flight Attendant
                              BWI Inflight Base [PIT Commuter]

Comment

Originally posted by greyfox
                                Hey all:

I own the Sigma 80-400 EX and I can tell you its a pretty awesome lens. I have used the 100-400...and its a great lens...but the twist zoom on the Sigma wins hands down. The Sigma is exceptionally sharp...and the OS works great. Also...if you think that 20mm difference means nothing...think again...it means you can squeeze in that 737-800 on the taxiway instead of not getting it. I'm sorry...I love Canon "L" glass...I really really do...but for $400 less the Sigma beats the Canon, hands down.. I dont have all my Sigma pics posted yet...but I have a lot...check em out!
                                Awwww YEAH!

Comment

Working...
                                X