No announcement yet.

Canon 100-400 IS vs.Canon 70-300 DO vs. Sigma 80-400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would suggest the Sigma 100-300 F4 HSM, which is a wonderfull lense imho.

Comment

Hello.

I’m looking forward to buy a stabilised long zoom lens...
      But I have one doubt... now with the canon rebate on the 100-400L, the Sigma 80-400 is only about 150€ cheaper than the Canon...
      Witch way should I go?! I think the starting 80mm of the Sigma would be more useful than de 100mm of Canon

Thanks

Fernando Rocha
      Fernando Rocha

Comment

Originally posted by Rez Manzoori
        Nothing wrong with the BIGMA apart from its low light capture. Now if only Sigma would pull their fingers out and add OS to the BIGMA....Mmmmmmm!!!!

A lot of my latest uploads are with the BIGMA if you want to see what it can do.

Cheers!

Rez
        Probably the only time I will get rid of my bigma is to get one with OS.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go find a replacement.... (bigma is not what it used to be, will post about it later, it's a bad-luck thing )

Comment

The Bigma is a good, value for money lens for its focal length. Its not the sharpest tool in the shed but it does pretty well. It does struggle in low light (even with clouds, its a no go with anything indoors or raining if you shoot anything else)like some people have said and i find im having to run it at F9-11 to get a decent shot. It has done me well for quite a while and im very pleased with it. Its kinda like a slug though compared to my 70-200mm F2.8 Vr lens from Nikon now though lol.

Ive seen some good results from both the 100-400L and the Bigma and its also cheaper

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ben
          Nikon D3 - Nikon D2x - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR - Nikon TC-14EE - Nikon TC-17EE - Nikon SB900 -Nikon AF-S 600mm F4 VR

Comment

1. Canon 100-400mm L IS
            2. Sigma 80-400mm OS
            3. Canon 70-300mm DO

You should use Sigma 80-400mm OS because you want to rotate (not pull and push zoom as 100-400mm ) Don't choose Bigma 50-500mm if you don't want to shake at full zoom .
            Sigma 80-400mm has a Optical Stabilizer mode, great for photograph at the full zoom

Comment

I have the 100-400IS L and find the quality to be very very good. Dust is a potential problem but you will get that on any digital camera at some point. Just be prepared to clean the sensor on a regular basis.

Much prefer the push / pull zoom because I can hold the lens with the tripod mount in palm of my hand and use fingertips for zoom control. As the lens is quite heavy it helps the overall balance.

Comment

Forget the dust, thats normal for everything and can easily be taken care of. But what it really comes down to is this:

Do you want to spend the extra $400-$500 to get "L glass" and a tiny bit better image quality?

Personally, after seeing shots that Eric has, I wouldn't go all out and get the 100-400L unless I had a surplus of money to blow. The extra $400 is not worth getting the Canon brand and "L glass".

Comment

Hi!
                  Tanks for all your answers.
                  For all I’ve been reading on the web, the big difference between the two lenses it’s the AF speed …
                  For my photos, I think its not a big issue… but the actual 150€ difference instead of the older of 400€ its driving me nuts…
                  Maybe I will go for the Sigma, and buy also a flash and a new camera bag…
                  Fernando Rocha

Comment

SIGMA 80-400mm OS EX

There are ups and down with both but overall I believe you get more utilization from the Sigma 80-400 OS EX. The Autofocus response time for Sigma 80-400 OS EX is tad bit slower than Canon 100-400L but on the 20D and above system continuous focus is smack on. I believe the twisted zoom is much easier is control than the push-pull but it will take sometime to losen up the Sigma O-Ring gear. I have action photos below taken with Sigma 80-400mm OS EX.

N740SW. Boeing 737-7H4. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

HB-IQP. Airbus A330-223. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Cheers - Jay

Comment

Interesting thread given my current predicament!

I'm right on the edge of purchasing the Sigma 80-400 OS lens to mate with a soon to be purchased Canon 30D.

Jay, mate! Will shoot you an e-mail shortly..... you'd better be coming to Oz again some time soon!

Comment

Very nice action shots to Jay. Awesome mate !

Nice pannin on that Southwest !
                        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I've had my 100-400L for several years and have been more than happy with it. It has recently developed some IS issues that cause a camera error (fortunately only when trying to take that once in a lifetime shot ) but other than that has been great. The push pull has been natural, and is useful in terms of size when contracted. Compared to the Sigma I looked at at the same time it is lighter as well, which means a lot when it's being carted around the world!

Comment

Decision!!!

Hey Max, I hope all the inputs will help you make your decision. Either way with Canon 100-400mm L or Sigma 80-400mm OS EX you will not be dissappointed. Take good care good luck on your choice of lens.

Craig:- I hope you got my e-mail. Let me know if you need anything else. Cheers mate!!!

Comment

I love the push/pull zoom of the 100-400L. It's very fast to adjust and smooth as well.

I don't notice extra more dust than my shorter lenses either. Even if there was, it's not that big of a deal now that I've started cleaning my sensor. It's really not the menacing thing so many on other photography boards have made it out to be, even for a ham-handed knuckle head such as myself

Comment

I love my 100-400, have had no problems with it (i see this is somewhat of a rarety!) in the 6 years ive owned it for and love the way it handles in all conditions. It comes into its own on a sunny day when you can whack the camera on F11 though. Produces some fantastic shots. At the end of the day its all about the L glass!

Comment

Working...
                                X