Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aviation photography....a thing of the past?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation photography....a thing of the past?

Well as all of you are no doubt aware there was a faied attempt to down an Akira 757 out of Mombassa with a couple of shoulder launched (stinger type) missles. In light of this and with some airports already cracking don on spotters/photographers, one has to wonder if parameter security will now get so tight that photography will become a thing of the past.

Many security experts have had this concern for some time and now that someone has actually attempted this horrendous act, these same experts are advising airports not only to tighten but widen the parameter making such actions less likely. While they of course do not mention photography per se, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to read between the lines to figure out that thye are saying shut down what few remaining observation areas that we have left here.

I fear that this just might be the beginning of the end to our hobby. Especially if were to happen here of Europe.

Better get out to your local airport and get those pics a.s.a.p. as I have an un-easy feeling that our days of aviation photography are numbered.

Thomas
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

I agree Thomas, those terriost really f***ed up our hobby... [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

Anyway, I think it's only time will kind of fade away our memories, after the stupid terriost attack in our city and the MOI thing, people are just more paranoid, which I agree is normal.

I guess we really have be more patience and pray for no more terriost attack related to aviation...

[img]naughty.gif[/img] those terriost
    <A HREF="http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613">Click Here</A> to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

This recent attack in Kenya is not the first time this has been attempted. I actually think this is the first time it has failed. In 1993 (I think), terrorists shot down two airliners departing Sukhumi in the Republic of Georgia with SAMs. Here's hoping the backlash won't destroy our hobby [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

Comment

ORD is almost impossible to shoot pix at. Probably the hardest US airport for spotting
        Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
        Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
        http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

Sadly Peter, things at ORD will possibly will get a whole lot harder.....if that is possible. While IAH on the other hand in has well known laid back atomsphere and has to some become a photographers paradise as the officials openly welcome spotter/photographers with 2 official viewing areas adjacent 3 of IAH's 4 runways. However in coming weeks I fear that the additude is going to get a lot less hospitable and more hard line. I would not be too suprised to see these areas shut down. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Thomas
          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

There's pretty much nothing we can do but pray for better luck... [img]uhoh.gif[/img]
            <A HREF="http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613">Click Here</A> to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

I heard now that FLL's lot is closed (from Joe Pries) so now I am seriously considering a jaunt down to IAH in December when I have some time off from work. I have a few days and I could drive up and hit Dallas too.

Is the Founders' Plaza still open? Is it still as good a spot for photography? Also, what about Austin which is nearby IAH. Any good spots at the Austin Bergstrom Airport?

The last time I was in IAH was 1999. I drove around and around and couldn't find a decent place to shoot. I musta been blind to have missed all these spots you mention!!!
              View my photos at JP.Net
              Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
              Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

Working...
              X