Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the quality standard req been increased?

Hi there, Tony

the grain is certainly not an issue, if you start from scratch. I just took the pic you edited and which was then processed by the JP.net upload script and processed it again. Not the best circumstances for top quality

And regardgin the natural contrast in Scotland .... I know, what you mean. November is about to start, and with that the fog season in Switzerland

Gerardo

Quote Originally Posted by CPH Aviation
    You can get P&S cameras with 7MP now and as long as the pictures taken with a P&S camera is good quality, then there should not be a problem
    MP is not everything but I notice more and more pro and semi-rpo level DSLR in the hand of spotters. 300D, 350D, 20D and D70 are regular now, while I saw a few D2X and even my first 5D already. Even some Canon 1Ds are around.

Now Nikon will bring the D200 and Canon won´t be far behind with a 20D replacement. Given the omproved noise characteristics and the much better focus of htose new DSLRs, even the latest P&S will need the best conditions too equal the out of camera qualitiy of those cams. Perhaps wit hthose hig-end P&S, but with an normal middle class P&S it will become increasingly hard to get pics accepted.

As a sidenote, what I also noticed, is that we get a tad more slide/print scans lately. At least, that's my gut feeling. What I also noticed is, that the quality of those pics are far superiour to what it used to be perhaps 2 or 3 years back. Newer and better software makes this possible as well.

Gerardo

Quote Originally Posted by clairaig
    The bad weather is coming and believe me when I say that you don't get much natural contrast in the light in Scotland in December
    You should come and try Australia in December when there's too much contrast!

standards haven't been raised, just that we expect a certain level of photo from our more experienced photographers with countless photos in the database and are alot more leniant with the new uploaders, obviously, fundimental errors are noticeable and are fairly rejected, it's up to the uploader to ask for help and to learn from the mistake....if they don't there is only so much we as screeners can do.

practice makes perfect...if it's not then practice harder and ask more questions, we don't want perfect but we're not going to let through obvious inperfections!
    Last edited by Longreach747; 10-26-2005 at 08:18 AM.

next trips
    USA/DXB August.

JetPhotos.Net Crew CPH Aviation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seahawk
    MP is not everything but I notice more and more pro and semi-rpo level DSLR in the hand of spotters. 300D, 350D, 20D and D70 are regular now, while I saw a few D2X and even my first 5D already. Even some Canon 1Ds are around.

Now Nikon will bring the D200 and Canon won´t be far behind with a 20D replacement. Given the omproved noise characteristics and the much better focus of htose new DSLRs, even the latest P&S will need the best conditions too equal the out of camera qualitiy of those cams. Perhaps wit hthose hig-end P&S, but with an normal middle class P&S it will become increasingly hard to get pics accepted.
    I agree with you to some point on the above. The camera photogs use is not everything its the photographer that uses the camera that makes the difference and offcause the editing of the pictures. Like I said before, we do have P&S photogs here that do a great job, and we also have photogs using the latest equiptment with results that are, well not that good
    Regards
    Soren Madsen

Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

Are rare aircraft or those not in the database given a little more tolerance when being screened. Have recently been to a museum in China that has a lot of exhibits in a very dark tunnel and are tightly packed. I used a high ISO and appreciate that the pictures may not be 100% ok - however most of those shot are not in the database and could be considered rare. I have appealed most of those rejected and some did get in. Have tried to contact admin & screeners but both emails links seem to be down at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by paulc
    Are rare aircraft or those not in the database given a little more tolerance when being screened. Have recently been to a museum in China that has a lot of exhibits in a very dark tunnel and are tightly packed. I used a high ISO and appreciate that the pictures may not be 100% ok - however most of those shot are not in the database and could be considered rare. I have appealed most of those rejected and some did get in. Have tried to contact admin & screeners but both emails links seem to be down at the moment.
    we'll soon let you know when we come across them, we do look positively towards the rare stuff but the processing still needs to be acceptable.

next trips
    USA/DXB August.

Paul, unfortunately on the vast majority of your uploads from the tunnel the quality was simply too low. We are both an aviation and a photography site, aviation wise they were interesting, photography wise they were too low quality.

Sorry.

You question the screeners? How DARE you?

No Uploads for You!!!

easy boys... just playing around

Haha. Soup Nazi.

I think one thing is that when people finally get a DSLR, they assume that they're going to not have to spend as much time editing, because they have such a great camera.
    Hopefully poor p&s users will still be able to upload here. Getting a DSLR is no option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CPH Aviation
    I agree with you to some point on the above. The camera photogs use is not everything its the photographer that uses the camera that makes the difference and offcause the editing of the pictures. Like I said before, we do have P&S photogs here that do a great job, and we also have photogs using the latest equiptment with results that are, well not that good
    Sure and I have seen many that could not use their DSLR, however the more serious photographers are getting close to the point where they will switch from first generation DSLRs (early up to 6MPs) to second generation DSLRs (current 6MPs and >=8MPs). And the cameras are getting more and more pro-like. The average quality will rise imho in the next 12-24 months considerably. I mean going through recent upload I saw some Canon 1dsMkII pics and some D2X pics.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanD
    Haha. Soup Nazi.

I think one thing is that when people finally get a DSLR, they assume that they're going to not have to spend as much time editing, because they have such a great camera.
    Hopefully poor p&s users will still be able to upload here. Getting a DSLR is no option for me.
    It is not the tool that mnakes the picture, but you will have to get the optimum out of your P&S.

AJ,

I have RAW's of the tunnel shots (just in case the JPG's were not good enough) so will try and see if they give a better result.

I could also post an unprocessed image to give some idea of the actual conditions in the tunnel as this might give an understanding of why the quality is not great.
    Last edited by paulc; 10-27-2005 at 09:32 AM.

I, too, had thought there had been a change in acception regs. I had uploaded a few shots recently that I felt were higher quality then my previous shots, yet both were shot down, as were the appeals...
    ________
    Universal Health Warehouse

JetPhotos.Net Crew CPH Aviation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dneedham
    I, too, had thought there had been a change in acception regs. I had uploaded a few shots recently that I felt were higher quality then my previous shots, yet both were shot down, as were the appeals...
    Could you post a link to the rejected pictures?
    Regards
    Soren Madsen

Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

Well Im lookin at em right now...1 has glare from a window on one side, the 2nd one is a bit low, and the 3rd one is off to one side...if you still want to see them, say so.
    ________
    VAPORIZER VOLCANO

1 under/overexposed.
    2 Not centered.
    3 Not centered.

Not exposure :P Low sun...
    ________
    FREE WORDPRESS THEMES

Quote Originally Posted by seahawk

Well, the thing is that most of the good P&S are made by Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Konica Minolta. My dad bought a Casio QV-R51 some months ago, and I don't like the image quality, my Coolpix4300 is really noisy at 400 and sometimes 200, but at 100 with the ideal conditions works very good. There are some Sonys that work really good (CD Mavicas, DSC-H1, F717, F828, R1, V3, and some others).

Also, getting a DSLR is now very easy, cameras like the 300D, D50,*istDS/DL/DS2 and KM 5D can be found for around $700 (The Nikon 8800 is around $900-10000.
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Well I guess my Digital Kodak just cant stand up to the quality of what is expected here...though I'd like to point out my 2 accepted photos which were taken with the same camera:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=417949
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=413005
    ________
    Chevrolet suburban