Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the quality standard req been increased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JordanD
    $700 for a DSLR isn't even the beginning. You have to buy the expensive lenses, which means, a really big lens, unless you can get really close to the airplanes (not in the US). Then the price goes into the thousands, something I personally (I mean, my parents) don't have.
    I think you've just managed to sum up in one paragraph why you do not need expensive equipment to produce good quality photos. Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343
      Shot with a Sony F707 about 10 days ago:
      [photoid=5615500]
      [photoid=5615497]

It's not only the camera. You have to know the settings of a camera and know how to process the pics. And I'm sure, that many a photog would have done even better than that with the same equipment.

An example: Just a few days ago, we got one of those dumb replies to a rejection mail, saying, that he didn't manipulate the pics, and that they were of good quality and that he would upload the pics somewhere else. I just looked at one pic: completely stretched during resizing!!

Cheers
      Gerardo
      Come on those are pics which are very well suited for P&S. Bright ligth, no fast movement to track, no AF challenge. That is not hard to get accepted.

I even have some approach shots taken with a Coolpix 5700 in the databse, but overall it is imho much harder to get an acceptabel shot with such a camera. And we still have to see the impact of 5Ds, D200 and lots of 20Ds and 350XTs that we will see in the next year.

[photoid=540562]
      [photoid=540535]
      [photoid=540531]

Comment

It seems like you don't want to beleive that jp.net accepts p&s photos. They've taken 47 of mine.

Comment

Harder I have no doubt, but by no means impossible as your own shots illustrate. Yes the light has to be right, and forget about using any ISO other than the lowest available, and you'll still lose some shots due to inaccurate autofocus or other reasons. And the good shots may still need quite a bit of work in Photoshop before they're uploadable. But it still doesn't mean "Abandon all hope all ye who lack a DSLR". This is a half-full versus half-empty argument.

And I should add that point-and-shoots are also improving. From what I can see there's quite a difference in image quality between the Canon Powershot A85 and its successors, the Canon A5xx series. I won't write point-and-shoots off yet.

Comment

It seems like you don't want to beleive that jp.net accepts p&s photos. They've taken 47 of mine.

36 of mine.
            [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

As I have shown I myself do have P&S shots in the databse, but I believe that it will be increasingly hard to get them accepted. First of all we will have more DSLR users and secondly we will have more users with semi-pro or pro level DSLRs uploading. All I´m saying that anyone using a P&S wil have to accept a higher rejection rate and pick his shots carefully. For exampel getting a plane while taxiing is easier, then getting it after lift-off -> with a P&S.

Originally posted by kukkudrill
              Harder I have no doubt, but by no means impossible as your own shots illustrate. Yes the light has to be right, and forget about using any ISO other than the lowest available, and you'll still lose some shots due to inaccurate autofocus or other reasons. And the good shots may still need quite a bit of work in Photoshop before they're uploadable. But it still doesn't mean "Abandon all hope all ye who lack a DSLR". This is a half-full versus half-empty argument.

And I should add that point-and-shoots are also improving. From what I can see there's quite a difference in image quality between the Canon Powershot A85 and its successors, the Canon A5xx series. I won't write point-and-shoots off yet.
              If we forget those that are as expensive as entry level DSLRs, I think they will be pressed harder and harder to get to the increasing standard with time.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                As I have shown I myself do have P&S shots in the databse, but I believe that it will be increasingly hard to get them accepted. First of all we will have more DSLR users and secondly we will have more users with semi-pro or pro level DSLRs uploading. All I´m saying that anyone using a P&S wil have to accept a higher rejection rate and pick his shots carefully. For exampel getting a plane while taxiing is easier, then getting it after lift-off -> with a P&S.

If we forget those that are as expensive as entry level DSLRs, I think they will be pressed harder and harder to get to the increasing standard with time.
                Stefan, forget about quality, just consider that in a few years will be impossible to use a cheap P&S to take pics at airports, they will grow at a point where you will need 250+mm, same from the fences, only at a few airports you'll be able to use less than 200mm, so you will need to spend at least $700 for a good camera that has that zoom, at that point, I will prefer to spend the money in a DSLR (Ok, I have one, so I'll spend it in glass), I spent only $220 for my long lens (Canon 75-300 III USM), consider that in those few years, cameras will continue to go down.
                [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

I just now realized that all this time I haven't been shooting at the highest possible quality. My point and shoot takes better pictures than I thought now.

Comment

For those saying that the influx of higher quality cameras will "subconsciencely" raise the quality requirements...you are right.

However, you also have to look at the other side of the issue: these same higher quality cameras are becoming less and less expensive. Just look at the price of a 300D now!
                    Will F.
                    Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

What is the price of a 300D now?

Comment

I just now realized that all this time I haven't been shooting at the highest possible quality. My point and shoot takes better pictures than I thought now.
                        It really isnt that hard to get photos accepted here with a P&S. As has just been shown not knowing the in's and out's of your equipment is where allot of new photographers trip up. Learn about your equipment, find its boundaries and work with in its limitations...

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                          It really isnt that hard to get photos accepted here with a P&S. As has just been shown not knowing the in's and out's of your equipment is where allot of new photographers trip up. Learn about your equipment, find its boundaries and work with in its limitations...
                          Riite, I found that my old Coolpix had continous shooting mode and a buffer 10 days before upgrading to a 350D.
                          [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by clairaig
                            Has the quality standard req been increased?
                            I hate to say it but whether it has "officially" been raised or not, it has been raised. I haven’t seen so many rejections since I used to seriously uploaded to Airliners.net. Sure some I can accept but not the numerous “bad quality” rejections. Seems like that is the only rejection reason used anymore.

Comment

Can you post some examples? I only ask, because I know, how I use "bad quality".

Gerardo
                              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                                For those saying that the influx of higher quality cameras will "subconsciencely" raise the quality requirements...you are right.

However, you also have to look at the other side of the issue: these same higher quality cameras are becoming less and less expensive. Just look at the price of a 300D now!
                                Yes, we are heading for market that is getting more close to the old film market, where you could find cheap entry level SLRs., that still were superior to most P&S when it came to action phtography. That will still mean that you can get pictures accepted with a p&S, but you will much more limited in your shooting, then with a DSLR.

I´m eagerly waiting to get a D200 to replace my D100, so that I get an F100 style DSLR.

Comment

Working...
                                X