How many of your excellent photos were rejected by Airliners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people take av. photography too seriously and cry and whine when things get rejected or accepted. You have to remember that the photos your taking are for your enjoyment and your collection firstly...

Glenny boy..bwah, he still needs to upgrade from that awfull 56k connection [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
    Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
    http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

Okay, fine. Lets all just get along. [img]heart.gif[/img] But I really believe that A.net should take my suggestion of allowing a photo to prove itself before rejecting it! [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] Why not post if for a day and see how many view it? They are all distinct views right! That was what I had hoped Johan would reply about but he did not leaving me in a state of believing I wasted my time writing to him!

"This is constructive criticism, so build from it! Gary R Tinnes 2002

I love this saying!
      Gary R. Tinnes
      Canada
      See my photos:
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=391
      See My Fantasy Airliner images:
      http://www.geocities.com/fantasyairliners

Comment

Hi Andy,

Oh yes that *%&%*(*# fire, the one that only blocked sun from the part of the runway we needed !!

Like you said there are many pics that I look at of yours and think, I had one just like that !!. Kowloon Bay, Kwun Tong, the Carpark etc

Andy, if you do get back to Hong Kong please give me a bell.

Rgds
        Daryl

Comment

Honestly, i have had hundreds rejected; maybe a thousand or more. So many I have lost count. I've been uploading since dec. 1998, and there's a reason that I have NO photos dated from 12/99 to 5/02 except for 9 from a junkyard in 2001. Those were accepted because of the rare subject matter (aircraft boneyard). The reason is every single one got rejected! Usually badblury or badscan. I was shooting film and scanning prints, and could not meet their standards even with a brand new scanner and using Photoshop.

My success changed when I went digital but I still get hundreds of rejects.
          View my photos at JP.Net
          Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
          Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

Jon, I feel almost the same way you do. The screeners are interpreting things differently from each other. But you call it a "public database"....I dont know about that. if it was a "public" then it would take any photo from the public. Webshots and pBase are "public". airliners is Johan's site. I'm sure there is some esthetic goal in the back of his mind. Or, maybe he started it truly as a "public" database but when it started becoming so overwhelmingly huge and popular, and he saw the profit potential (for himself) then he is letting his own desires rule the site.

I'm all in favor of high quality, but when it comes to nitpicking very tiny things then its different.
            View my photos at JP.Net
            Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
            Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

Yup, I had a photo of mine put up, so I am happy but I do think they are VERY SELECTIVE in a good and bad way.

Now, not to change the story but wait, Glen Alderton's wife is on airliners.net? Is she ADG?

Holy Crap! I don't know whats funnier: that I found out about it here OR that it's anyone's business that it need be made public! LOL [img]offtopic1.gif[/img]
              Witness the miracle of flight.
              Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

mirrodie,

Yep, Glenn Alderton and VH-ADG (Bron) are married. [img]nod.gif[/img]
                Trump is an idiot!
                Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Bruce, I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that way!

When I wrote "public" I didn't mean in the sense that it's owned by the public, rather that the photographs are readily and freely accessible to the public. The database may not be public, but its content is.

One thing that seems to be missing from A.net's database (and JetPhoto.Net's too) is a concise, unambiguous mission statement. Maybe it would help all photographers if they knew precisely what the purpose of the database is. It's all very well for a website to proclaim something along the line of "Our aim is to have the largest collection of high quality aviation photographs" but (as we are all well-aware) "quality" is a terribly subjective issue.

So, what is the purpose and function of an online photo database?
                  I suggest that it's not simply to allow any Tom, Dick or Harry to show his pictures to the world - as you say, that's what pbase is for.
                  Neither, I suggest, is it simply to allow the site owner to amass his own personal collection of 'favourite' and most technically perfect shots that he then allows everyone else to look at.
                  If both of my assumptions are correct, where does that leave us?
                  Should, then, the database be constructed to benefit the visitor? If so, what kind of visitor: Photographers? Spotters? Enthusiasts? Industry people?
                  If the database is constructed for those peoples' benefit, surely it would be prudent to give those people the photographs they want to look at. And surely it would be wise to inform and educate contributing photographers about the precise purpose of the database and the wants of its target audience.
                  Many times on A.net I've read words like "Ask yourself: Does your photograph contribute anything to this database?" In many instances, the answer would have to be "I don't know - because I don't know the true aims of the database."

From my perspective, pure photographic quality (clarity, sharpness etc) is not a big issue; it's the less quantifiable aspects of photographs that seem to attract the most criticism. Does it really matter if a photograph is 1 degree (or less!) away from horizontal? Does a photograph like that really detract from the database's quality?
                  Take a look at the photographs in JetPhoto's database that have been (or would be) rejected by A.net and note the number of hits. Those hits clearly demonstrate that there is a public demand for artistic or 'poorly motivated' pictures.

Anyway, congratulations to Chris and his crew for providing a viable alternative. I wish you every success and I hope that the 2 sites will happily co-exist.

Comment

Jon, you understand my point right on! I tried to explain to them that they should maybe except less of the regular side view or front view photos and maybe except more of the interesting views. I have a photo of an American MD-80 on this site! I wish they new how hard it was to get that picture. I had to be manually focusing the camera and move it with the aircraft because it was maybe 100 feet above me. Anyway if you look at the picture you will see that it is extremely straight BUT [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] one slice of the right wing is not in the picture! So they rejected it because "the whole aircraft is not in the picture"! [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] . But everybody that sees it on this webpage likes it! I notice this with most of the pictures here. I love seeing these interesting views more then the standard pictures taken at the fence of an airport with a zoom! AS for the quality, I have no problem when a photo was rejected for quality, but the personal opinions are ridiculous! [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

This is contructive cricism, so build from it! Gary R Tinnes 2002
                    Gary R. Tinnes
                    Canada
                    See my photos:

Comment

Gary: why did you grab your camera for a AA MD80??? LOL just kidding mate...but I see 200 of them daily so you know...lol
                      Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
                      Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
                      http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

Let's say it the other way around:

None of my photos were accepted.

Comment

Polishair42, Unfortunately I am working when all of the good ones come in! I thought I would try out my new camera before work last week!!! No big guys around 15:00! [img]shake.gif[/img]
                          Gary R. Tinnes
                          Canada
                          See my photos:

Comment

I am torn about how I feel regarding A.net's standards... I understand why they do it, and they do have really nice looking photos... Yet I have taken pics I think are very good (professional grade?... Probably not, but still very good!) and that most folks would appreciate... And they have been rejected. Sure, I can see why they got punted, and sure, my nose gets a little bent out of shape... But I still think they are photos most folks would appreciate!

I just came back from a trip to Maxton (NC) where I had a unique opportunity to photograph the last landing of N228NW, an ex-NWA DC-10 being ferried to the boneyard... Unfortunately, I was shooting into the sun, and I was using a digital camera that is not the best for anything other than close range stuff. But, these are unique one-of-a-kind photos which I think many people will appreciate. I tried posting one to A.net, and to no surprise, it got punted... The rest of my photos I just assumed would get kicked back...

So, JetPhotos.net, you're in luck!... You get the pics! I hope everyone else enjoys them! I'm sure A.net users would still have loved to have seen them, but I don't think there is anything I can do to get them to those standards.

Kudos to JetPhotos.net... I'm glad there is a place for us run of the mill amateurs to post...

Comment

Chaz,
                              glad someone got to photograph that DC-10.. If it wouldnt have iced I would have had more time and would have gone..
                              [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

Two weeks and I'll be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have no photos accepted either sites, but I think a.net and Jetphotos are both great sites and think just because you dont get your photos accepted you should turn into a basher.
                                Well thats just my thoughts.
                                -Valera

Comment

Working...
                                X