Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something I've learned is that AJ knows everything.

Well, thats what he told me anyway.

Comment

Is this allowable/workable?

OK, I am open to being shot down OR moved to another section if required, but I am on the war path, I am out to cause trouble but in a manner that I hope you will see, might help us (aviation personnel) and them (pax).

I want to start a topic or Worldwide movement to reduce this dreaded tax that everyone is being forced to pay. In normal economy class the average tax paid is about GB£100 or US$200 and this is about to be increased with some new congestion taxes being charged in the coming months.

Things like fuel surcharges are never going to come down, the price paid for moving cargo and passengers on the same aircraft is not related pound for pound. Some airlines have refused to charge the fuel surcharge and still make healthy profits at the end of the year - proof if it were needed that this charge is being used to prop up ailing companies.

It is not you and me who are gaining from this extra money, it is the directors and CEO's of these fat ass airlines and I believe someone needs to bring this to the front of the debate.

I am also aware that there is no direct control of airspace across the Globe, you have the CAA in the UK and the FAA in the United States for instance and both conflict in their terms of carriage. For instance, you can carry a cigarette lighter on your person legally from the UK but as soon as you land in the US you are committing an offence. And the reverse of this is, you can carry two books of matches from the US but the CAA only allow you to carry one book into the UK.

So we have two issues here - one is the unfair and unjust tax that all passengers have to pay and the other is the uniform control of all passenger travel...

Could we/I have a debate on this in the hope we might be able to have a better industry to work in?

Comment

If you want to do so, start a thread about it in the Civil Av forum. It would also be helpful if you provided more info about these taxes/surcharges.

Comment

A.J. I have a quick question. At cruising altitude do you ever feel wake vortice's? Im sure the jet stream breaks up the wake's pretty quickly. Something I've always been curious about. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by scottkin View Post
            A.J. I have a quick question. At cruising altitude do you ever feel wake vortice's? Im sure the jet stream breaks up the wake's pretty quickly. Something I've always been curious about. Thanks in advance.
            Yes, we will often ofset our track when following a higher aircraft as the wake can be violent.
            One of our 747-400s recently encountered the cruise wake of an A380 and captured it on video. The A380 was 2000ft above and about 10 miles ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
              Yes, we will often ofset our track when following a higher aircraft as the wake can be violent.
              One of our 747-400s recently encountered the cruise wake of an A380 and captured it on video. The A380 was 2000ft above and about 10 miles ahead.
              I have yet to feel it in cruise, but have gotten it many times on approach into Atlanta. Certainly grabs your attention!

Comment

What role does the vertical stabilizer play in keeping a plane horizontal? I've seen several horror shows on TV that demonstrated how a damaged vertical stabilizer, or one with a malfunctioning rudder, has led to very catastrophic crashes, moreso it seems than other types of damage. Will a lost engine precipitate a vertical crash? Or are these crashes usually due to a problem with the vertical stabilizer?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteKnuckles View Post
                  What role does the vertical stabilizer play in keeping a plane horizontal? I've seen several horror shows on TV that demonstrated how a damaged vertical stabilizer, or one with a malfunctioning rudder, has led to very catastrophic crashes, moreso it seems than other types of damage. Will a lost engine precipitate a vertical crash? Or are these crashes usually due to a problem with the vertical stabilizer?
                  The vertical stabilizer affects an airplane's directional stability (movement of the nose left or right). Loss of the v-stab (and rudder) would leave the aircraft directionally unstable, and leaving the pilot with little or no way of controlling the movement of the airplane's nose left or right (yaw). This could cause the airplane to go into a severe side-slip (sideways motion), which would increase drag and cause a high rate of descent. A crash would most likely result, but it would depend on how damaged the v-stab is and what measure of control the pilot has left. A lost engine wouldn't necessarily cause a vertical crash (by that I mean a spin of some sort), but loss of either the vertical or horizontal stabs could put the airplane into a completely uncontrollable state where a where a stall, spin, or vertical dive could result.

Comment

Working...
                  X