Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About SDF

Chris, (or anyone else) this is an awesome pic:
    UPS MD11 I know you take a lot of pics at Louisville too. Do you work there or have access? That looks like a very close range photo & doesn't look like it was thru the fence.

if it was a public location, then it must be a great airport to view & photo planes at!!
    View my photos at JP.Net
    Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
    Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

About SDF

Bruce,

To save Chris from retyping this stuff, check out this link....
    http://www.jetphotos.net/airports/airport.php?icao=KSDF

I have never been to SDF on an actual photography trip, but on a high school trip a few years ago we stayed at the Holiday Inn right on the other side of I-65 and I sat at my window and watched the nighly UPS rush!

I think Johnathan Derden and I are going to make a trip up that way later this month and see the UPS Christmas rush. I have been told that UPS will lease 747s during the rush. We are also going to hit CVG on the way back home.

Chris

http://www.starnesphoto.com/aviation
    [LAX / IAD Update 2.27.07]

Comment

About SDF

Hi Bruce,

In addition to Chris' reply (thanks Chris!), I must also let you know that was shot with a 400mm lense nearly fully extended. I'd venture to guess that the airplane was about 3000 feet away from me as it lifted off.

However, SDF (despite the lack of any remotely exciting/consistent traffic) is a very accessible airport for spotting. There are great viewing areas all along runway 17R/35L on the west side of the airport, and a few areas can be had on the east side of 17R/35L for morning photography.

When the airport is going north, runway 35R has a nice photo spot for approaches in UPS' main parking lot, and nice shots of aircraft holding short can be had through the fence from that same lot. Unfortunately, UPS seems to be a bit more perturbed by spotters in their lot recently, as I've been asked to leave a few times in past months -- and that never used to happen.

When the airport is going south, 17L is virtually inaccessible unfortunately. The entire approach end 2/3 of the runway is surrounded by buildings, and the approach area is not accessible to the public either.

Overall, though, not a bad airport for photography -- especially this time of year. We routinely see UPS leases from Polar Air Cargo, Evergreen, ATI, Tradewinds, Gemini Air Cargo, Malaysia Air Cargo, World Airways, Northwest Cargo, and quite a few others in the weeks before Christmas.
      Trump is an idiot!
      Vote Democrats!!

Comment

About SDF

Very good info! I'm really curious about all these airports that are not too far (well, relatively speaking!) from my area because I'd like to make a photo trip this month.

Are most of your shots thru the fence? I know its hard to shoot thru a fence because you have to put the lens right up to it and zoom all the way in to blur out the fence, but what kind of technique do you use when you need to pan with a plane, like when one is rolling? For example, on your UPS MD11 shot. Or did you just take that shot by setting it up, not moving it, and let the plane cross your frame & snap it?
        View my photos at JP.Net

Comment

About SDF

Bruce,

I stand on my car and shoot over the fence. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]
          Trump is an idiot!
          Vote Democrats!!

Comment

About SDF

This is where having a truck that is pertty high off of the ground comes in handy! When JD and I were at CLT a couple of months ago we spent more time in the back of truck than in the actual truck cab!

If the truck bed isn't high enough I have a toolbox which gives you about another 3 feet....and if that doesn't do anything for you you can gain about another foot or so by standing on top of the cab.....That gives about 12 feet of height (truck is about 6 + me = about 12 ft).....If the fence is higher than that....I'll stay at the house [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Chris

Comment

About SDF

That doesn't help us people who drive Camaro
              s! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm considering visiting CLT myself...
              View my photos at JP.Net

Comment

About SDF

CLT is a good place to go shoot/spot. The overlook on the west side of the termial is good in the PM, there are also some morning spots over by the Carolinas Aviation Museum. There are a set of railroad tracks that run along the north side of the airport. You can park between the end of 36R/18L and the railroad tracks and get good approach/depart shots as well. Variety isn't exactly the best, but there is enough activity to keep you busy.

I just realized I have only one CLT shot uploaded here...most are still 'over there'......standby screeners, about to fix that problem!

I'll post a few when they uploaded...

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X