More CTL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More CTL

As a follow-up to Bruce's CLT message, I have put some material in the database (thanks for the quick uploading) from our trip down there in September.

Check out the shots to give you an idea of what there is to be had for photography down there...
    CLT shots

Chris

http://www.starnesphoto.com/aviation
    [LAX / IAD Update 2.27.07]

More CTL

Hey Chris,

I remember that day. Jonathan mentioned me that he was going to CLT that day and he mentioned you going also. Anyway, I was in Pensacola, FL at that time and gave Jonathan a call on his cell.

Very Nice.

PS. I plan on stopping by TRI someday to see my great bud, Jonathan D. Either drive there from VA Beach or fly my Cessna there from the air force base.

Comment

More CTL

Yeah, Kevin...I remember that!

I would recommend flying if it was me......thats only like a 10 hour drive [img]shake.gif[/img]

If you ever do, hollar at me...I am just about 30 mintues from Tri-Cities as well.

Chris

Comment

More CTL

I dunno about CLT now...it's kind of snowy over there. The news said today that it might be several more days till power is restored in the Charlotte area. I'm kind of leaning toward a trip to IAH/DFW instead ($235 on DL) but if the money doesn't add up I may decide still to make a drive to CLT (less than half that price). I could also convince myself to go to Carolina just so I could also swing by the Smoky Mts and get some beautiful snowy landscape shots too.

BTW Chris, photo #7373 on rwy 36, is that from one of the "public" viewing areas? it looks like you're pretty close to the action. That's not from the "overlook". do you have a pretty long lens (400mm)?
        View my photos at JP.Net
        Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
        Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

More CTL

Well....there is a long story behind that actually.

That was shot from the Signature aviation parking lot. We sat there a couple of hours on Sat. morning and a couple of more on Sunday morning. The light was getting high and we were going to start over to Air Cargo to check things out. As we were leaving a Signature truck pulled up beside of us as we were heading out of the parking lot. He informed us we were on private property and not to be in there making photos anymore. So, I guess that means they are not very spotter friendly, but we did get several good hours in before we were ran off so I didn't feel too bad. Im not sure they are that non-photo friendly....that guy kinda just seemed like a butt who wanted to show off....I think with a call to the manager you might be able to get permission to be there.

If so, it will require you to be on top of a pertty good size vehicle...I was on "level 2" of my truck (top of toolbox) and was just barely over the fence.

Chris

Comment

More CTL

quote:
            Originally posted by Bruce:
            I dunno about CLT now...it's kind of snowy over there. The news said today that it might be several more days till power is restored in the Charlotte area. I'm kind of leaning toward a trip to IAH/DFW instead ($235 on DL) but if the money doesn't add up I may decide still to make a drive to CLT (less than half that price). I could also convince myself to go to Carolina just so I could also swing by the Smoky Mts and get some beautiful snowy landscape shots too.

BTW Chris, photo #7373 on rwy 36, is that from one of the "public" viewing areas? it looks like you're pretty close to the action. That's not from the "overlook". do you have a pretty long lens (400mm)?

That doofus has a 100-400mm IS Lense...
            [img]evil.gif[/img]
            Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
            Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
            http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

More CTL

quote:
              Originally posted by PolishAir42:

That doofus has a 100-400mm IS Lense... [img]evil.gif[/img]

He's talking about Chris Starnes, not me.

Doofus. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
              Trump is an idiot!
              Vote Democrats!!

Comment

More CTL

Fellow duffuses...

I only have the Sigma 400mm...non IS [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

The particular shot in question was with a 28-105 at 105...

Chris

Comment

More CTL

quote:
                  Originally posted by Bruce:

Just icy mostly which is ALOT worse.
                  Power wont be completely restored until at least Wednesday, we luckily got ours back on yesterday and some neighbors are still without.. Yikes..

I heard today that the debree would be like a 13 acre field stacked 15 feet high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  The whole place is a wreck now, I dont even have half the work done in cleaning my own yard..

Comment

More CTL

quote:
                    Originally posted by Chris Starnes:
                    As a follow-up to Bruce's CLT message, I have put some material in the database (thanks for the quick uploading) from our trip down there in September.

Check out the shots to give you an idea of what there is to be had for photography down there...
                    CLT shots

Chris

Yes CLT is a great spot to spot. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If you can walk (cant park) from the viewing area, around the corner they come in low and directly over you. OR by the Hertz place, I havent ever been kicked out of there. Krystal burger is also a cool place..
                    Uncle is a mechanic for US here so he can get me in and all around with a day's notice, but I've been too busy to take advantage of that yet.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

More CTL

well, I have made my final decision on where to spend my week off work. Not CLT, unfortunately. A better plan has just taken shape!

I'm going to IAH and DFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND, i have another surprise. Oh, I'm not saying anything right now because I dont want to spoil the fun of seeing the pictures. But, in addition to IAH, DFW, and the trip there, I'm going to have some very, very unique photos of planes which don't have any already on Airliners.net OR this site. Even the location is kind of rare, airliners.net only has 1 photo from this airport but just wait till I get back!!!!!!! That's why I'm not saying - I want to keep it rare till I start uploading!
                      View my photos at JP.Net
                      Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
                      Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

Working...
                      X