Most important advancement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important advancement.

What would you say is the most important advancement that has been made in the Military and Space field.

Personally I'd have to say the Saturn V rocket. It put people on the moon, and if I'm not mistaken it is still one of the most powerful rockets to date.
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Originally posted by Cameron
    What would you say is the most important advancement that has been made in the Military and Space field.

Personally I'd have to say the Saturn V rocket. It put people on the moon, and if I'm not mistaken it is still one of the most powerful rockets to date.
    Yep, but it sure is expensive.

I'd say the satellite is the most important. Communications, spying & recon, mapping, television, internet - all kinds of things.

Comment

a re-useable spacecraft is/was a pretty big advancement

Comment

If I'd have to single out something, I'd say UAVs adn UCAVs are a pretty important advancement, by being able to keep its 'pilots' at home safely, instead of flying in war zones. Plus, I'd also put Boeing's Bird of Prey over, which IMO could be a very important advancement in coming years.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
          a re-useable spacecraft is/was a pretty big advancement
          Except for science, I don't think it really had a huge impact. It hasn't exactly gotten us a great deal further as average citizens.
          Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
          If I'd have to single out something, I'd say UAVs adn UCAVs are a pretty important advancement, by being able to keep its 'pilots' at home safely, instead of flying in war zones. Plus, I'd also put Boeing's Bird of Prey over, which IMO could be a very important advancement in coming years.
          Agreed, they are great, but are they of benefit to the world? Or just the military during a war. Granted, they save having to put a human in the air, but someone who joins the air force would surely bear the 'death' factor in mind?

Comment

Shuttle for Space,

UCAVs for the Military side.

Comment

Originally posted by Mungous
              Agreed, they are great, but are they of benefit to the world? Or just the military during a war. Granted, they save having to put a human in the air, but someone who joins the air force would surely bear the 'death' factor in mind?
              Going my that, the first part of this forum is of no benefit to the world . But anyway, in a way I do consider them a benefit, even with them being military planes. The thing is that often enough, technology originally used in the military for 'non-benefiting' roles have found its way into the civil world, and I'd expect the same to be happening with the UAV technology.

Comment

UAV's for sure

Comment

Going my that, the first part of this forum is of no benefit to the world . But anyway, in a way I do consider them a benefit, even with them being military planes. The thing is that often enough, technology originally used in the military for 'non-benefiting' roles have found its way into the civil world, and I'd expect the same to be happening with the UAV technology.
                  Yeah, someone was or is developing a UAV that can 'orbit' high above cities to provide cheap wireless communications without the large expenses of launching a satellite. Also, UAVs will probably come into play for law enforcement such as the USCG one I posted about awhile ago.

Comment

The most important advancement ever would have to be the cup holder. Where else would you put those (insert beverage here) cans on those long flights.
                    "I use mulit-billion dollar military satellite systems to find tupperware in the woods."

Comment

Originally posted by NBGTowerGuy
                      Where else would you put those (insert beverage here) cans on those long flights.
                      I thought that's what pilots have their FO's for ?

Comment

and I'd expect the same to be happening with the UAV technology.
                        I expect to see Unmanned jet airliners flying robots around the world.

Comment

Painting hot chicks on the sides of planes

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                            Painting hot chicks on the sides of planes
                            thats not really new, they did that in WW2

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
                              thats not really new, they did that in WW2
                              Nobody said that any advancement would have to be recent , and since they didn't paint hot chicks on the planes from the get-go, it can be considered an advancement .

Comment

Working...
                              X