Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon D60 or a Nikon D100

Kevin,

Although I've never used a D100, I can't say enough good things about the D60! This camera, in itself, has made me 10x the photographer I once was. All the aspects of photography I've learned over the years just seem to come together with this machine -- it's hard to explain, but that's how I feel.

Combine the D60 with the Canon EOS 100-400mm IS USM lense, and you've got (I feel) the best combination out there for aviation photos.

Below I've included a link to a 400mm shot of a CSX freight train I took about a week ago. Note that this shot is completely untouched, taken directly from the camera. This shot was made with the D60 and lense mentioned above, and is one of the clearest untouched digital images I've ever seen.

http://www.jetphotos.net/chris/train-largeformat.jpg

As you can probably tell, I recommend the D60. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Trump is an idiot!
    Vote Democrats!!

Canon D60 or a Nikon D100

Funnily enough, the hardest one to buy at the moment is the Fuji S2, we just can't get hold of one.
    http://www.dpreview.com.

My opinion? Go the D100, the D60 has a fair number of write ups about it's inability to focus correctly under certain circumstances. Whilst we were at the observatory recently not one single D60 owner got a sharp picture of the moon as the camera just wouldn't autofocus properly (not sure what happened to the ability to manual focus [img]smilewink.gif[/img] ).

But regardless, you will find a faction out there that think the D60 is the ducks guts and other think it's the D100 is it.

I think in reality the quality of the pictures will be so close as to be indistinguishable, but you should find the cost of the D100 to be the same, if not lower than the D60 because it is here.

VH-ADG
    ADG
    No makeovers please .....

Comment

Hmmmmmm......Chris is on my most hated list and now Kevin is soon to be on that list too!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry Steve, I'm against the F707 now. I fell in love with SLR cameras so now I must get an SLR digital.

I think im gonna exclude the D60 off of my list since I will need to buy separable lenses for it means more money I will spend.

However, I'm going for the Nikon D100 as of right now because I do have my nikkor lenses which will work on the D100 according to the reviews. Save me $400.

I plan on getting a Nikkor 100-400 VR lense in the future so Chris, WATCH OUT.....HERE I COME.

Comment

I've got both the D100 and the Nikkor 80-400mm VR, and i don't think you'll regret it. I think it's actually better than the d60, in my opinion [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
          My Pics!

Comment

Well, as I now have the money I can afford one.

I know there are alot of Canon D60 users here and I've heard good things about them, does anyone own a Nikon D100 digicam? The D60s are selling at $2200 for the body only and I found a Nikon D100 for $1999 at Ritz Camera.

I welcome all your imputs. I plan on selling my equipment ie. slide scanner, lense, etc...and plan on buying a perhaps a D60 hopefully in less then a month.

That will be my Xmas present.

Thanks.

Comment

Kevin,
              If you are a Navy midshipmen, then I am sure you are well aware of the advice "from the Chief..." As a retired Navy Chief, I can tell you that I LOVE the D100, and know you will as well. Go get one NOW!

Good Luck, and enjoy your career.

v/r
              AEC(AW) Ret.
              Jeff

Comment

Ok for you D100 users....

I plan on getting a Nikon D100 on Jan. 2. Can you tell me what kinds of accessory is needed for the digicam like battery pack, microdrive, etc....I am new to digital cameras. I am not sure if they have a kit for the D100 with includes most of the accessories which I've seen them online. I just want to see how much money ill be approx. spending for it. I know an IBM 1GB Microdrive cost like $350, is that worth getting? How about a battery pack/grip? Is that also worth getting?

Thanks.

I am really happy about getting a D100. The hard part is, I have to wait a whole week into purchasing one from my local camera store.

JeffM, no, I dont go to the USNA. I do support them since I knew people from my high school who goes there. I wish I did but never did get accepted. I enlisted like you did and man, I try to aviod the khakis where I work. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]. NAS Oceana AIMD powerplants. hehe. If I make it to officer, I'd make it a career, but that 2nd check sounds mighty tasty.
                [img]offtopic1.gif[/img]

Comment

"Go get one NOW!"

Aye Aye Chief. Is that an order?
                  [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Kevin,
                    Not an order...Just a strong suggestion. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

As far as the accessories go...The battery seems to last forever, and charges very fast, so if it were me, I would pass on the battery/grip and get one of the Nikon flashes. I got the SB-50DX which is working very well and it is $199 at Wolf/Ritz camera. Then, a good bag to carry it in, and maybe a monopod for shooting with a long lens. As far as the MicroDrives go... I found that having two 256m compact flash cards works just fine, or maybe one 256 and a 512m would be good as well. MicroDrives run all the time and will run down your battery a little faster. Then maybe a card reader, and you should be set for some fun. [img]clap.gif[/img]

Get some pictures out on the flight line. I have not been to Oceana in a long time. Don't forget to get permission first.

And don't be afraid of the Khaki...they started just like you.

Merry Christmas

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                    X