Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada navigates purchase of U.S. stealth fighter jets

Originally posted by www.canada.com
    Canada and the U.S. are in negotiations that could eventually lead to the multibillion-dollar purchase of the latest stealthy fighter the American arsenal has produced.

Canada and the seven other nations involved in the talks will likely be in a position to tell the Americans by the summer details on how many of the high-tech Joint Strike Fighters they will need and by when, an official with Lockheed Martin, the plane's manufacturer, said Thursday.

Canadian Defence Department and Lockheed officials stress that no commitment has yet been made to purchase the Joint Strike Fighter, also known as the F-35. But several years ago, the Canadian government invested $150 million US into the aircraft program, one of the first nations to do so.
    Full Story

i dont know but this just seems wierd to me why would the USAF sell some ,of their best fight jets to canada?

Midwest Airlines - The Best Care In The Air

Comment

Cause the F-22 could shoot it down in a second if necessary?
      Sam Rudge
      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Because Canada is involved in the project....

Comment

DND Canada to Lockheed Martin:
          "Umm... we can only afford 3/4 of a fighter. Is this arrangement possible?"

Comment

I would openly marry Lockheed Martin if I could...did I say that out loud?

A good replacement jet for the CF 18's.

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
            DND Canada to Lockheed Martin:
            "Umm... we can only afford 3/4 of a fighter. Is this arrangement possible?"
            "Uhhh, can't we just have the engines and landing gear, the rest has to be made in Canada in accordance to our Heritage Policy devised by the retarded Liberals" ....did I say that out loud??
            My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

First off, Canada's aircraft will not have the same technology that the U.S. Aircraft has, we basically sell them the "base model" and we get the "full package" model.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                First off, Canada's aircraft will not have the same technology that the U.S. Aircraft has, we basically sell them the "base model" and we get the "full package" model.
                Always keeping an advantage, just in case ?

Comment

WTF is the F-35?

Canada cant do anything right, so I doubt this deal will be an exception...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
                    WTF is the F-35?
                    The Joint Strike Fighter, the over-budget super-hyper-mega fighter jet that is the future for US military, for all areas of it, be it USAF, or USN, or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
                      WTF is the F-35?

I'd be shocked that Canada would invest that much into this. They seem to be cutting back their military units due to budget retraints.

I believe so far there is nothing but mock ups. When I talked to one of the LM guys at the Nellis airshow, he thought production would start later this year.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun
                          I'd be shocked that Canada would invest that much into this. They seem to be cutting back their military units due to budget retraints.
                          It really isn't as much as you think:

Originally posted by JSF.mil
                          United Kingdom (signed 17 Jan 2001 for $2B)
                          Italy (signed 24 Jun 2002 for $1B)
                          Netherlands (signed 17 Jun 2002 for $800M)
                          Turkey (signed 11 Jun 2002 for $175M)
                          Canada (signed 7 Feb 2002 for $150M)
                          Australia* (signed 31 Oct 2002 for $150M)
                          Denmark (signed 28 May 2002 for $125M)
                          Norway* (signed 20 Jun 2002 for $125M)
                          We're pretty much on par with Denmark, Norway, and Australia. I think they're merely keeping the foot in the doorway. I don't believe they are going to replace those mostly 20+ years old CF-18 any time soon.

Comment

Replace the darn Herc's first.

Comment

[QUOTE=YYZPICS]

I guess it would only make sense that they would have some of their test models flying if they won the right to mass produce. Should have thought of that fact prior to posting my comments

Comment

Working...
                              X