727 Air Intake Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 727 Air Intake Question

At MCI on Tuesday I was frantically driving around near the cargo apron trying to find the rental car return (a difficult task with the terrible signage and detours all over the place) when I saw a B727 with an oddly flared number 2 engine air intake. It bulged just behind the opening not unlike the intake on the MD11. I have never noticed this on a B727 before and was wondering if anyone knew what that was all about.
    Sorry - unfortunately I don't remember who the plane was operating for even though it did have a name on it - but I'm guessing it must have been cargo or charter. It's livery was predominantly white. Thanks in advance!

That would be the hushkitted model. They have new engines that would not normally fit in the normal engine shaft. As such it has been enlarged. I believe it also requires more air to go through it, hence the larger opening.

N922UP. Boeing 727-31C(QF). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!
    Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

The same here.

The TAME 727's have STAGE 3 Hush kits. In spite the fact they are HUSHKITS they sound very strong. They wake me up at night!
      Lufthansa is the BEST!

Comment

Re:

All 721s have that characteristic bulge behind the air intake. The air intake w/r to the 721's #2 engine was designed as an oval, and then the engine casing behind that is circular, which looks like a bulge.

All UPS 727s have a larger air intake itself and the first half of the engine casing is enlarged b/c UPS's 72s have Rolls-Royce Tays, which have a larger diameter.
        "Ok, I'm gonna get as many as I can on that SW pad there, uh... ok, Amarillo, you're #1, Houston-#2, Albuquerque #3, Phoenix-#4, Chicago-#5, Seattle-#6...

Congratulations, Seattle!"

Comment

The official diagrams from Boeing show that the statement, "...all 727-100s have the bulge" is not true.
          I think the bulge comes with the RR engine replacement for Stage III requirements. Thanks!

Comment

Okay... I did a little more poking around and have learned that the plane I saw was a 727-100QF (also referred to as a 727-100RE). These 721s have had all three JTD engines replaced with RR Tays. This solution is one of several available approaches to meeting Stage 3 noise requirements (and can meet Stage 4 requirements with minor modifications) and is apparently only offered for the 727-100 series aircraft. It was probably a UPS aircraft I saw at MCI as they have modified a good number of their 727-100s in this way and I don't know if any other operators have. Here is a close up of the 'hump' I was referring to:

photo:http://sobering.terracom.net/eaa99/UPS-727/
            Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Re:

Okay, I may have misunderstood your question, but yeah, that's basically the jist of it.

UPS has re-engined all 72s in its fleet with the RRTays. I think they're the same type as the ones on the F-100. It's the only operator which has done so. There's a UPS 722 out at Will Rogers Airport in Oklahoma City which has the RRs as well.

Btw, interesting fact: Boeing was originally considering the RRTay as the engine for the 72, but then switched to the JT8D instead. I garontee, we would be seeing more 72s flying around today had that been the case, and just possibly, a different version of the 72 as well.

Happy Flying!
              "Ok, I'm gonna get as many as I can on that SW pad there, uh... ok, Amarillo, you're #1, Houston-#2, Albuquerque #3, Phoenix-#4, Chicago-#5, Seattle-#6...

Congratulations, Seattle!"

Comment

Working...
              X