Mexico in Talks with Moscow over Fighter Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico in Talks with Moscow over Fighter Jets

The Mexican armed forces are in talks with Moscow to buy about a dozen Sukhoi Su-27 fighter jets, a Russian newspaper on May 2 quoted Ivan Goncharov, deputy head of Russian arms export agency Rosoboronexport, as saying.

Mexico hopes this year to acquire a squadron of 10 to 12 jets to intercept drug traffickers’ planes, daily Vedomosti said.
    Russia’s Su-27 aircraft are competing with Sweden’s Gripen jets for the contract, the paper said.

It quoted an unnamed source at aircraft manufacturer Sukhoi as confirming that talks were underway. But the source voiced concerns that the United States might object to the use of Russian military aircraft by its neighbor.
    Last month, Indonesia had said it was also looking to buy six Sukhoi jets from Russia. Jakarta was forced to look for new arms suppliers after the United States imposed restrictions on military sales because of rights abuses allegedly committed by the Indonesian armed forces in East Timor in 1991.
    Link

But the source voiced concerns that the United States might object to the use of Russian military aircraft by its neighbor.
    Last month, Indonesia had said it was also looking to buy six Sukhoi jets from Russia. Jakarta was forced to look for new arms suppliers after the United States imposed restrictions on military sales because of rights abuses allegedly committed by the Indonesian armed forces in East Timor in 1991.
    I really dont understand why is the United States controlling what a country can buy and use and so on. So what are they concerned about in the states if the Mexicans are buying russian aircrafts. They probably restricting and concerning about this shite that they want the mexicans to buy american products. No offense. I think the american is fine but ... I dont really understand them.

About the indonesian issue. What does it have to do with the abuses on what types they will buy and so on.. Again United States are there to restrict another country, imposing them to NOT buy the sukhois.. what do they want. ? Man this is all BS.

I hope the mexicans will go all the way with this. Now the US can concern about THAT. !
    Last edited by MaxPower; 2006-05-03, 02:38.
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

SU-27s to intercept drug planes?!? Yeah I can already hear the pilot convos with the tower:
      "Tower we're catching up to the alleged drug plan, it's appearantly a Cessna prop."
      *swooosh*
      "Ah Tower, that prop plane is way too slow, better consider going after it with helicopters."
      Reminds me of a certain Simpsons-episode .

Comment

^^LoL Colin

Well that's where they can use its great attack on the drug planes. Cobra attack *

Comment

At least those would both the appropriate speed and the ideal fire power .

Comment

Yeah exactly. Perfect type for the job... Hehe.

Comment

I think the US has issue with Mexico buying these because their government is so well known for being corrupt with drug trafficking.

I find it odd that they want to stop drug trafficking, yet not people trafficking.

Comment

Anyway, it would be good for the US and its Latin American neighboors to come in terms at last... The losers : the US manufacturers.
                Alain
                Thanks for visiting
                *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                *JetPhotos*
                Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                X