Digital Camera Extremes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Camera Extremes

Good day, I personally own an Olympus 730 digital camera! It is amazing because it holds a 10X optical zoom, which ins't too bad for a digital camera. My problem is this, it is so cold here in Canada right now that I am worried about my camera being ruined by the cold! Anyone know alot about digital cameras, that can tell me what the limits temperature wise may be!!! I want to take pictures but I don't want to ruin my camera!

Thanks
    Gary R. Tinnes
    Canada
    See my photos:
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=391
    See My Fantasy Airliner images:
    http://www.geocities.com/fantasyairliners

Digital Camera Extremes

Well I'm happy to meet a fellow C-730UZ owner! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I have been wondering about that lateley, because last time I went out pic taking it was -7C. I didnt have any problems, but I'm sure its alot colder where you are! :O

-Clovis

Comment

Digital Camera Extremes

Check the manual. I think it has a specification page that lists the operating temperature range. If not, then shoot off an email from the Olympus support web site.

Jeff

Comment

Digital Camera Extremes

Thanks for the replies guys, I am experiencing temperatures of -15C OR 5F with windchills of -30C so I have a feeling damage may be done to my camera in these temperatures!. By the way how do you like your 730? I think its cool but I wish I had a "Real" camera. Getting good quality digital photos of fast moving aircraft are hard in most lighting conditions.
        Gary R. Tinnes
        Canada
        See my photos:
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=391
        See My Fantasy Airliner images:
        http://www.geocities.com/fantasyairliners

Comment

Digital Camera Extremes

The only thing I'd really worry about, in this kind of weather would be from going from a humid and hot place into a -15C enviroment, and vice versa.
          The battery depletion rate is higher too.

PS. We've been hitting -25C, if you add windchill it's -40C, up here in Montréal.
          Les Hommes ne sont que des idiots heureux.

Comment

Hi, I know this thread has been around for a while but I just got into the forum recently so thought I would make a comment.

I have the older version of the C-730, which is the C-700, and I use it to shoot in cold weather all the time. The manufacturer specifies 0 C as the lower end temperature limit, but I am sure this is to prevent the LCD's in the viewfinder and camera back from freezing. I have shot regularly at temps of -20 C and wind chills lower than -30 C and had no problems.

I take the precaution of sliding the camera into my coat between shots to allow body heat to keep up the temps of the LCD's. The camera is small enough to do so without turning it off. By leaving the top of the coat open a bit I can easily pull the camera out for a shot and yet enough cool air will reach the camera while inside the coat that I don't get any lens fogging or body condensation. I would not however recommend leaving the camera out in the cold on a tripod for long. Allowing it to cold soak might well freeze the LCD's.

So I would say go ahead and use your camera with that method but be careful of blowing snow. A large plastic bag around the camera with a hole rubberbanded around the lens will provide adequate protection on that level. Just be sure to bring some lens cloths to dry any flakes that hit the lens. Using a UV filter to protect the actual lens is a good idea.

Despite it's small size the camera is robust enough to handle the cold. Go have fun.

Comment

Working...
            X