"Knockoff" lenses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Knockoff" lenses.

I'm looking at some lenses (yes I know sorry for making another lens thread ) but I was wondering if there's any major differences between for example the Nikkor 80-400VR and the Sigma 80-400OS, besides the 500 dollar price difference (Sigma being the cheaper one). Does anyone know of an off brand version of the Nikon 70-300mm ED (Sigma, Tamron, etc) and how they size up to the nikon version? I have to figure out what Sigma's version of ED is.

Originally posted by JordanD
    I'm looking at some lenses (yes I know sorry for making another lens thread ) but I was wondering if there's any major differences between for example the Nikkor 80-400VR and the Sigma 80-400OS, besides the 500 dollar price difference (Sigma being the cheaper one). Does anyone know of an off brand version of the Nikon 70-300mm ED (Sigma, Tamron, etc) and how they size up to the nikon version? I have to figure out what Sigma's version of ED is.
    Cano...wait oh oh OHHHHHHHHHH

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
      Cano...wait oh oh OHHHHHHHHHH
      I love it when people provide such valuable insight.
      Bobby DeBarge
      www.debargephoto.com
      http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
      1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Comment

Ok, here we go.

The Sigma 80-400 OS compared to the Nikon 80-400VR is a bit difficult. Many pople say that the Sigma is equal or better, while others say that is not the case. But are guit slow to focus and the Sigma has a slight green tint imho. Also the OS of the Sigma is said to be noticeably less effective then the VR on the Nikon. Optical quality is siad ti be close, but Sigma seems still to have a more lax quality control so that there are some very soft exampels out there. (Test before buy)

review of the nikon : http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...4556/index.htm

review for the Sigam (tested on a Canon) : http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...56os/index.htm

On the 300mm front things become interesting.

As for the same ammount of money you get the Sigma 100-300 HSM 4.0, which gives you a fast focus, constant aperature and pro quality glass.

review - tested on Canon :

Now if you are looking for a cheap 70-300, there are plenty of options. I would shy away from the Nikon 70-300 ED, as the AF-S VR 70-300 is just around the corner and not that much more expensive, altjough not much is yet know about the quality of that lense, I would expect it to be at least not worse then the old ED.

On the cheap front, I have seen decent sampels taken with the simpel G modell from Nikon, while the new version from Sigma and Toamron are also said to be not bad either. I can not advice on any of those.

Comment

Purely based on personal experience, and a short one at that, the following may help.

I have, up to now, been using a Sigma 70 - 300. I recently noticed, especially after buying my Nikon D80, that it wasn't quite as sharp as it could be with a distinct focus deficit at full zoom infinity focus. (Focus wasn't quite there, I had to go to manual focus).

Being a poor underpaid UK NHS paramedic (pause for sympathetic support !!) I didn't have the funds for a top line D or VR lens. Instead I found a virtually new Nikon AF Nikkor 70 - 300 G f4 - 5.6 on Ebay for £80 as a buy-it-now price, so it may well have gone cheaper had I waited a while. Still, not a bad price with a new one selling for £159 in the high street.

I've only shot a dozen or so frames with it so far but the difference is remarkable. Much sharper focus with no visible colour cast and quite a rapid autofocus. As I say, I've only owned it for a short while so this cannot be taken as an exhaustive test, but I am very pleased with it.

I think the advice given by others to buy camera manufacturers brand lenses is good advice based on this experience.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

True, I would also prefer the Nikon to a Sigma. Simon de Rudder has a new G 70-300 and the first shots were pretty amazing considering the price of the lense.

Comment

So the G version would be alright? I think anything's gonna be better than my current one. I'm getting about two keepers every time I go to the airport. It's with a variety of different focal lenghts, shutter speeds, and around f 7.1-8, so something's not right here.

Comment

I think, yes look at the latest upload from Simon de Rudder (Düsseldorf pics), all were taken with a D50 and the 70-300G.

Comment

Working...
                X