AA Ramper Run-Over by Tug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA Ramper Run-Over by Tug

Seems like a silly accident, those tug's aren't exactly silent. But I'm very glad to hear he's going to make it.

FORT WORTH, Texas -- An American Airlines employee is in critical condition after he was hurt on the job at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. The worker was run over by a tractor that is used to pull planes to the gate.

The employee was just getting off his shift on Friday night when he was struck and run over by two wheels of the tow truck, officials said.

It was raining at the time of the accident.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Maybe he was wearing protective ear things?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam at MAN
      You can still hear them trust me.

Comment

What about his vision ?

Originally posted by Sam at MAN
        *Use your f'n eyes!* Or wait. Dont tell me he was blind !
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Unfortunately ramp accidents aren't rare... I know doing a walk around at LAX is always quite an interesting experience... you really do need to have your eyes open and paying attention.

Maxpower... Unfortuntely (most of us) only have 2 eyes, and on the ramp, you really need to be able to see in every direction at once.

Its easy to be distracted doing your task (such as the preflight inspection of an aeroplane) and be walking, and have a car wizz past you very quickly. Ramp vehicles rarely drive slowly.

I find the baggage cars the most intimidating, as they tent to be very unpredictable... so you need to be careful about them! Tugs are *usually* more predictable... but not always, and they do drive them around at a fair speed...

While yes, you can hear things with the ear plugs in, its very very noisy out there, especially when you have a few aircraft around with APU's running, maybe one starting an engine, and even some Ground Power Units... you wouldn't hear a tug until it was close, despite the fact they make a huge noise.

I just hope this chap is OK, and that it doesn't happen again soon.

Comment

Damn that sucks. Those weigh a helluva lot.

Comment

Thats horrible, I hope he comes out in as good shape as possible.

And its one thing to say that its impossible to be hit by a big ol' tug lugging around, but then again, if it happend to this guy, it could likely happen to anyone. If it were THAT easliy avoidible, he wouldn't have been hit.
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                Not sure about you Mr Flower, but people i know only have eyes in the front of there heads.

Comment

With all of your experience working on the ramp, why don't you fly to the hospital and tell the guy how to do his job (which he is qualified to do)?

My thoughts go out to the guy, he's got a long road to recovery ahead of him.

Comment

OR, mabey the thing hit him from behind.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

yeah, ramps are dangerous places to be. Lets hope he's ok and that some can learn to show a little respect to those who are risking their lives to make sure their bags get on the plane and you leave the gate on time.

Comment

Unfortunatly someone got hurt... Untill you are actually out there, in the rain, with all the elements, don't rule out the fact that he may have not heard it... It takes alot of situational awareness and coordination to have a safe ramp. Last fall, I was gassing a UA 737, and a flash cought the corner of my eye, My brain said "bag cart" So I looked up at the gauges....A split second later, I realized there was no tug sound, so I looked back.... A runaway train of 3 coverd bag carts was racing across the ramp, with no tug towing it... The carts were pushed across the ramp by winds of 30mph+, Streight for the 737!!! I jumped off the ladder, and ran to the carts, which were moving at about 5mph, and gaining speed... I knew I couldn't stop the train, so I just grabbed the tounge and steered it away from the plane..... Scary stuff.... The best part was a UA ramp agent had no clue of how the carts got there... I'm just lucky I didn't get hurt, stupid risk on my part, but I couldn't just let the carts smash the plane without trying to stop them..... So anything can happen at any time....Be alert and aware, so we can all make it home at the end of the day!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JJR
                          .......It takes alot of situational awareness and coordination to have a safe ramp..........................
                          I guess that is what happens when you de-regulate the labour market.Less union controlled safety. The brainy bufoons have sorted it out........give them all a day-glo jacket and safety looks after itself...........oh and are arses are covered.
                          My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Update from usaviation.com;

Dr's trying to get circulation back into his right leg. They had to remove his left leg a few days ago. Lots of internal issues,ruptured spleen and shattered pelvis,etc.. Still remains in very critical condition.
                            Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by MCM
                              Unfortuntely (most of us) only have 2 eyes, and on the ramp, you really need to be able to see in every direction at once.

Its easy to be distracted doing your task (such as the preflight inspection of an aeroplane) and be walking, and have a car wizz past you very quickly. Ramp vehicles rarely drive slowly.

I find the baggage cars the most intimidating, as they tent to be very unpredictable... so you need to be careful about them! Tugs are *usually* more predictable... but not always, and they do drive them around at a fair speed...

While yes, you can hear things with the ear plugs in, its very very noisy out there, especially when you have a few aircraft around with APU's running, maybe one starting an engine, and even some Ground Power Units... you wouldn't hear a tug until it was close, despite the fact they make a huge noise.

I just hope this chap is OK, and that it doesn't happen again soon.
                              My bad, MCM, I worded that wrong. Could have been dual fault then

Some of it could be put direct to the tugdriver, cause as far as I know, he (driver) must predict his path where he's going , precautious in his directions.

^^Don't bite me if this is wrong. I'm just telling what my stepdad told me when he was a tugdriver. (retired)

Too all you other guys, I'm sorry for my bad wording of the situation. By the info from Paul (flyingphotog) glad to hear he's okey.

Edit: Sorry to hear he lost his left leg and that he's still in pretty bad condition.
                              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Working...
                              X