Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Shadow/Highlight not allowed?

Hi there

My usual workflow is to straighten, crop, use the levels and shadow/highlight, NeatImage if needed then sharpen.

I have had plenty of rejections but after a particularly good shoot have had a few accepted - until it came to this one.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1338751

Okay in hindsight it's probably not the best quality and maybe should have been rejected, but the reason confused me - "Over Processed", with a screener comment of:

"Please avoid the use of the Shadow/Higlight filter. Feel free to use our forum for further questions. Thank you."

I have had many accepted using the shadow/highlight (I use it most of the time), particularly on this shoot where the weather was lousy and almost every photo had to be brightened up. Has this method of processing now been banned?

I did have another rejected for part of aircraft cut off which was this one:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1338752

The elevator was cut off but the entire aircraft is still in the frame, do we now have to include the tailplane too?

Cheers
    Noel

On the BA shot the under side of the aircraft is unnaturally bright from using the shadow/highlight tool. Also there is significantly more noise visible in the 'shadow' sections then in the other sections. Its not that that tool isn't allowed (from what i have been told) its that unless its used carefully and sparingly it can give some unnatural effects to the image.

For the Virgin shot that looks really awkward having it cropped like that from that angle. normally for cropping out parts of the plane its for a front or rear 3/4's view like this

When you have a full side profile shot like that nothing should be cut off.

Comment

Hi Noel

The BA shot as Christopher mentioned does look unaturally bright in what should be dark areas possibly from the use of shadow & highlight. The part that really stands out to me is the intense saturation, it appears that sun was out but shining from the same side of the a/c you were shooting from illuminating the right hand side of the a/c. Had there been any sun the shot would in fact be backlit, hence the "overprocessed" look.

The Virgin 340 - there is space in front of the nose and probably enough for the rear stab to be in frame had the a/c been further forward in the frame. The "cut off" rejection would relate to the fact that there is no good reason for it to be missing, just that the shot is not centred in the frame.

I will however say well done for getting the result you did in those crappy weather conditions. Shots like that need more time when editing and a whole different workflow.

Regards
      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mrk25
        I will however say well done for getting the result you did in those crappy weather conditions. Shots like that need more time when editing and a whole different workflow.
        I agree whole heartedly, I had a hell of a time processing my images from a rainy day at LAX and as of now have only been able to get one processed to JP.net standards

Comment

Originally posted by Christobal65
          I agree whole heartedly, I had a hell of a time processing my images from a rainy day at LAX and as of now have only been able to get one processed to JP.net standards
          By the way, what happened to your Eva shot?

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys - I can see the saturation on the A319 shot though, maybe if I only highlighted the white it may look better?

I guess I can see why the A340 isn't perfect, but one for the personal collection I think!

Thank you for the nice comments though, out of 280 shots in the course of an afternoon about 15 came out something like!

The benefits of having a hotel room overlooking LHR's runway!

Comment

Originally posted by magic48
              By the way, what happened to your Eva shot?
              Bounced for under exposed again i think its time to give up it.

Comment

Christopher,

We're not saying that you can't use the shadow/highlights tool when editing your pics, however what we are saying is that if you have to use it, use it wisely and sparingly, otherwise it can cause problems really quickly.

When screening, this is a problem we see a lot. You have a great photo taken in great sunshine, then the tool has been used and it starts to halo the plane or lift the noise levels. Looks terrible. Sometimes it is so bad you can see the halo in the thumbnail before you open the large picture.

However in your case above I think the picture was just beyond saving, since the original was shot on a dark day.

Hope this helps.

Steve Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Billsville
                  Christopher,

We're not saying that you can't use the shadow/highlights tool when editing your pics, however what we are saying is that if you have to use it, use it wisely and sparingly, otherwise it can cause problems really quickly.

When screening, this is a problem we see a lot. You have a great photo taken in great sunshine, then the tool has been used and it starts to halo the plane or lift the noise levels. Looks terrible. Sometimes it is so bad you can see the halo in the thumbnail before you open the large picture.

However in your case above I think the picture was just beyond saving, since the original was shot on a dark day.

Hope this helps.

Steve Brown
                  I never use the shadow/highlight tool

Comment

Sorry Christopher meant for the original poster......I should have said Noel...My Bad

Comment

Originally posted by Billsville
                      Sorry Christopher meant for the original poster......I should have said Noel...My Bad
                      I thought you were were talking about my Eva Air pic as we were talking about it too.

Comment

Working...
                      X