Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Info - Genre

Default Bad Info - Genre

Please post your queries about Genre info here!

How about a warbird? Not actively flying for the military but painted in former mil colors, carrying a civilian registration. Should this be military genre?
    View my photos at JP.Net
    Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
    Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

No Bruce, if it is on the civil register it should appear as 'Civilian' with the Warbird/Vintage category selected.

thanks!
    View my photos at JP.Net
    Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
    Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Just had a few rejections for 'Genre'.

To me, 'Genre' means style, type or class, so an aircraft that was conceived and designed to serve in the military should remain within the 'Military' genre irrespective of its current operator.

From the information given above by AJ, it appears that the term 'Genre' is being misused in this context and maybe should be changed to 'Operator'. At the very least, an explanation should be added to the upload page to clarify matters.

Thoughts?

Simpler :

civil registration -> civil in most cases (some Air Force do use civil regs as well ,olike France fro example)

military -> military reg.

So if a former military aircraft joins the warbird circus it becomes civil. Otherwise we woudl soon having even more complicated discussions. Is a Cessna O-1 now in civil hands military or civil according to oyur defintion ?

Like I say, maybe a change of wording would be in order to make things clearer. It should be changed to 'Genre' of the aircraft OPERATOR, rather than 'Genre' of the aircraft itself, as it appears that the 'Genre' of the aircraft is actually irrelevant in this instance.

In all honesty Jez we don't get many issues with the use of genre. It doesn't seem to cause much confusion.

The 'Operator' of the aircraft is listed in the airline field. Your use of 'Private' in this field would refer to a civilian operator!

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    In all honesty Jez we don't get many issues with the use of genre. It doesn't seem to cause much confusion.

The 'Operator' of the aircraft is listed in the airline field. Your use of 'Private' in this field would refer to a civilian operator!
    I've not had any issues with 'genre' either until now.

If, as you say, the 'genre' is defined by the 'operator' field, then why bother having the 'genre' field at all?

Let's say that I'm a punter that's only interested in military aircraft (which I happen to be) and don't really care about the operator of such aircraft. I go to your front page, select military in the 'genre' drop-down. From this search I would expect to see all of the military aircraft in the database, but in actual fact I only get to see the aicraft that are operated by the military. Do you see my point? I'm missing out on the civilian registered military type/style/genre aircraft.

That is the main reason we have the 'Warbird' category.

But I just don't just want to see Warbirds (which, BTW is not even a searchable category from the front page drop-down), I want to see all Military style/type/genre aircraft.

The fact that there is a 'Genre' field and an 'Airline/Operator' field implies that they are independant of each another and it is permissable to have a military aircraft with a civilian operator. You have now informed me that they are dependant on each other, so I ask again. Why the two fields?

Jez, Chris and Gabe have spent many hours writing scripts to categorise and sort photo data. 99.99% of visitors seem to have no problem navigating the site and finding the photos they desire. I clearly am unable to satisfy your wants for the site so may I suggest emailing the administration address with your concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by seahawk
    Simpler :

civil registration -> civil in most cases (some Air Force do use civil regs as well ,olike France fro example)

military -> military reg.

So if a former military aircraft joins the warbird circus it becomes civil. Otherwise we woudl soon having even more complicated discussions. Is a Cessna O-1 now in civil hands military or civil according to oyur defintion ?
    How about a situation recantly where an ex RAF Hunter was on the G- reg but placed back onto the RAF register but is still civilian owned and flown i believe by civilian pilots?

In that case I would recommend to check civil because of the civil registration. However I would also accept military (or change to civil in screening) with the info you just gave. Kind of a borderline case, were there are good reasons for both genres.

Hi All,
    Is the category of something like VH-XSA or even VH-BOB Warbird and also small prop?

Thanks,
    Mehdi.
    Last edited by mnazarinia; 02-25-2008 at 01:34 PM.

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Quote Originally Posted by mnazarinia
    Hi All,
    Is the category of something like VH-XSA or even VH-BOB Warbird and also small prop?

Thanks,
    Mehdi.
    I think you should only tick the Warbird category in reference to the category thread you can find here: http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=41981

Administrator Alex - Spot-This !'s Avatar

Yes only warbird category and civilian genre. Thanks

Thanks all.

Default EG&G - 'Janet Airlines'

Hello,

No surprise here - I'm confused. Here's why - In Vegas where I live we have airplanes that fly out to the top-secret (yep, top-secret!) Area 51. I have plenty of photos of them in the data base. I always upload them at 'Military' for the Genre.

Today, I had one rejected for 'Genre' Here's the link:

N5175U

Here is info from FAA:

Registered Owner (for N5175U)

Name DEPARTMENT OF THE AIR FORCE
    Street
    PO BOX 1504
    City
    LAYTON State UTAH Zip Code 84041-6504
    County
    DAVIS
    Country
    UNITED STATES

I appealled the photo with basically the explaination above. My appeall got rejected. Here's the explaination from the Screener:

'Your appeal for photo id 1824098 has been processed and has been rejected.
    Admin Comments >> this a/c has a civil reg and needs the \"civilian\" genre.'

Is not the Department of the Air Force Military in nature?

Take care,
    Brad

Let me investigate it further please Brad.