Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Fossett missing

AVIATION RECORD HOLDER STEVE FOSSETT MISSING

Searchers are combing an area of western Nevada looking for adventurer Steve Fossett, who was reported missing in his Citabria Super Decathlon early this morning. The Nevada Record-Courier is reporting that Fossett left the Hilton Ranch in the Smith Valley in the aircraft Monday evening. It's not known where he was heading.

Nevada Civil Air Patrol spokeswoman Maj. Cynthia Ryan said three crews were launched early today and more will be dispatched through the day. A check of neighboring airports apparently came up empty. The aircraft Fossett was seen taking off in is blue and white and the terrain in the area of the Hilton ranch is rugged and sparsely populated. Fossett is best known for his around-the-world flight in a balloon and another unrefueled flight in a single-engine jet aircraft. He was in Nevada recently preparing for a land-speed record attempt in a jet-powered car on the Bonneville Flats but it's not known why he was at the Hilton Ranch.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._196062-1.html

Wayne Dippold

I hope for the best. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Comment

This is a huge loss for the aviation community if he is not found alive.

I actually just shot (took photos) of Steve Fossett being enshrined in the National Aviation Hall of Fame in Dayton, Ohio a little over a month and a half ago. Below is a link to some photos I have gathered from the event of Steve.

A community for sports photography, sports action, and photojournalism for the professional photographer, student photographer and hobbyist.

He and his wife were some of the nicest people I have ever met, he was so happy on this day and less than 2 months later, he may be gone. Such a sad sad day.
      Tanner Johnson - Owner
      twenty53 Photography

Comment

I am hoping for the best.
        You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

This is big news! It was the lead story on the NBC Nightly News tonight. I am hoping he's found in good condition.
          Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Anyone can join in the search for Steve through the link below.

Comment

So apperantly they turned up 8 other wrecks up in the mountians that were previously undiscovered. Holy crap.
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                So apperantly they turned up 8 other wrecks up in the mountians that were previously undiscovered. Holy crap.
                I am not sure if those wrecks were undiscovered or uncharted. I have heard that they were known about, but their location just not charted as plane wrecks have only recently been charted.

Comment

Any links about those???
                  My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Let me pull up a link. It was in the paper the other day, there was a story about a guy who took off in a Cessna 210 going OAK-RNO and dissapeared in the same spot 40 years ago without a trace, maybe one was his plane according to the article.

EDIT: Here, same article I read in the paper.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Still looking

The main search has ended but they are still looking with a high definition camera and specialized computers......

His wife has conceded that he is dead....
                      My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

It's weird that they think her admission is breaking news. I'm sure she didn't think he flew to a remote location to get away from her and live a secret life.
                        Tanner Johnson - Owner
                        twenty53 Photography

Comment

dude, i keep thinking he flew to area 51 for some secret testing, but if he reappears, he can't say anything

yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrycobra Boeing
                            dude, i keep thinking he flew to area 51 for some secret testing, but if he reappears, he can't say anything
                            Even then he would still be able to tell his wife he had to go test "somewhere." A coroner has already declared him dead in order to settle his estate.
                            Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Fossett is missing since September and lost without trace. If he should have survived the crash, he probably was injured and so he eventually coud not move to leave the crash site. No radio, no last known position and - when I remember correct - no flightplan for that short hop he planned.
                              I'm sure he must be dead.

get FRA spotting informations here:
                              www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Working...
                              X