Steve Fossett missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyboy2548m
    Man, that's way too much jet time to be taken seriously around here.
    So if someone had significant jet time, they would understand that Steve Fosset was an expeletive idiot and an unprofessional pilot and therefore dead and not found?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Yep

Comment

Originally posted by DaveGF4G
        He was flying in NEVADA people... you know what that terrain is like?...not over some gently rolling terrain with tons of airports or lots of people like Missouri or something. HE SHOULD HAVE FILED A FLIGHT PLAN based on the the terrain ALONE.... but REALLY you should ALWAYS file a flight plan, and in my book his professionalism is WAY diminished. The mere fact they haven't FOUND HIM YET says out loud HE FAILED TO FILE A FLIGHT PLAN...... In my book he thought WAY too much of his ability and this is ALWAYS.... ALWAYS a FINAL DEATH KNELL to pilots. I will bet he died because we couldn't find him..... because he FAILED TO FILE A FLIGHT PLAN
        I recall someone on a flight plan who witnesses saw hit a power line over the Mississippi river in Missouri. The pilot was never recovered.

It has been stated that a likely direction of flight took Fossett over a very deep lake. Hmmm, is not being found because of flight plans or because of crashing in water?

Dave- I see you have lots of Military time....Well, I am glad that the armed services restricts the hell out of what you do with multi-million dollar fighter jets that I (and a whole lot of other taxpayers) pay for. If you have to have a flight plan to go kick the tires or wipe bugs off the canopy, so be it!

I would assume that you flew F4's and F105's for the rights of US citizens to fly light aircraft without flying flight plans. I would assume thanks are in order for that so THANK YOU

But you are over the edge here on Fossett going flying without a flight plan. So you will never fly without a flight plan. I respect that. But a lot of good pilots do fly on occasion without a flight plan and I repect them and Fossett.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Don't take me seriously then.... but you are wrong

Comment

and a lot of good pilots will die

Comment

I have 1205 hours in the F-4 and 300 hours in the F-105
              Ahh so then thats what experienced pilots do? They question the skill of those who came before them, accomplishing things they could only dream, and ultimately give their lives to their pursuits? Is that how you treated your buddies who got shot down in Nam fighter ace? Come back to base and start talking shit when your wingman didn't show up? Cause thats about what you're doing right now. Show some respect and let it go.

Comment

and a lot of good pilots will die
                Coffin corner:

Throttle up, you break up and die.
                Throttle back, you break up and die.
                Don't file a flight plan, you break up and die.

Get real man. A flight plan is a courtesy to help the rescuers recover your body after you are dead. We can genuinely trash Fosset for making a lot of work for the recovery teams.

Search activities don't begin until you are 45 min overdue and most avgas, jet fuel and aircraft ulpostery I've been around burns somewhat faster than that!

The odds of a flight plan saving a life are quite small.

Comment

Am I the only one thinking this guy is a class A troll?

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE
                    Coffin corner:

Throttle up, you break up and die.
                    Throttle back, you break up and die.
                    Don't file a flight plan, you break up and die.

Get real man. A flight plan is a courtesy to help the rescuers recover your body after you are dead. We can genuinely trash Fosset for making a lot of work for the recovery teams.

Search activities don't begin until you are 45 min overdue and most avgas, jet fuel and aircraft ulpostery I've been around burns somewhat faster than that!

The odds of a flight plan saving a life are quite small.
                    don't file then......

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE
                      A flight plan is a courtesy to help the rescuers recover your body after you are dead.
                      Unless you're just saying that's your opinion of what a flightplan is, you're not completely right. 45 minutes overdue to begin searching is pretty damn quick when you consider there's plenty of things that could delay your arrival by 45 minutes. This isn't Hollywood. Not everything catches fire and explodes after it crashes. How many light aircraft crashes have you seen where the wreckage was nothing more than mangled metal, no fire, no charred remains? Plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                        Unless you're just saying that's your opinion of what a flightplan is, you're not completely right. 45 minutes overdue to begin searching is pretty damn quick when you consider there's plenty of things that could delay your arrival by 45 minutes. This isn't Hollywood. Not everything catches fire and explodes after it crashes. How many light aircraft crashes have you seen where the wreckage was nothing more than mangled metal, no fire, no charred remains? Plenty.
                        Careful Jordan. While I exagerated a little on what you quoted (and should have said, "ususally"), go back and re-read my last sentence: "The odds of a flight plan saving a life are quite small"

I think we are probably more in agreement than disagreement, but for the sake of debate, please list some instances of a flight plan saving lives when a plane was reduced to "nothing more than mangled metal".

And if there's more than 5% difference in survival on flight plan vs no flight plan crashes where the plane was "nothing more than mangled metal", then I'll mail you a beer.

Certainly there are a rescues to the credit of flight plans and conversely any preventable death is an even worse tragedy. All that being said, percentage-wise, it's a small difference.

One final thing- the search helicopters are not scrambled at 45 min. Initial search activities are done with radios and telephones.

Comment

There's no need to file a flight plan.... "tell all the people that you see .... follow me, follow me down"..... James Morisson

Comment

This guy was an accident waiting to happen and he is now DEAD

Comment

Don't take me seriously then....
                              Not really having a problem with that part.

Comment

For one, I don't believe his flight hours. Secondly, if he was in the military he didn't always file flight plans so he's full of crap...

So...why was he banned.
                                Tanner Johnson - Owner
                                twenty53 Photography

Comment

Working...
                                X