Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two A340-600 Accidents - Quito and Toulouse (Combined)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two A340-600 Accidents - Quito and Toulouse (Combined)

An Iberia A340-600 has had a runway excursion at Quito, severely damaging the aircraft but fortunately with no injuries.
    Lo último de las noticias de Ecuador en El Universo, encuentra noticias del mundo, noticias nacionales, opinión, política, economía, deportes, entretenimiento, Guayaquil, Quito y Cuenca.

[photoid=6104979]
    [photoid=6105074]

Comment

http://www.kolotv.com/news/headlines/11160976.html
      At least one tire burst on the landing gear of the plane as it touched down, causing it to slide off the runway tipped on its wing.....
      I wonder if this really is what made that plane skid off the runway. Thank God no one got injured.....

Comment

I assume from the pics the plane landed on rwy35 (based on Stefano mentioning that it hit the tunnel behind the runway)? Sure a good thing that it landed in that direction, landing on 17 and sliding that far, the Airbus would have ended up on a major road, which no doubt could've worstened it. Thankfully, everything rather well and there's no deaths or serious injuries.

Comment

I heard 5 people onboard got injured, none seriously, one CC included.
          "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

So - writeoff? Or can she be repaired?
            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

I shows the pics to one of our Crash Recovery Team guys (Air Cda) and from the inital look he figures it is a write-off.

Comment

Hey Guys

How are you. Long isnce Ive posted here in JP. Well, as I said this is by far the most amazing incident I have spotted. Sad, but It doesnt stop me from saying aamzing!! I say this cause thankfully no one lost their lives here, tehrefore I can be happy taking these pics.

Any way. I cant believe what happened, the plane landed RWY 35 in light rain, and little fog at 5:15PM which mean GOOD lighting, then I was at my flight school and heard a loud BOOM!

I never thought it could be the plane. Few minutes alter my dad called and said "Please tell me your ok? A plane jsut crashed in the end of the RWY! its in the news in teh radio!" Well, i freaked out and started asking antd telling people. Everybody in there went crazy, and a guy said, "IT WAS IB! It was the las plane that landed"

Rain got worse, I got my cam which THANK GOD was in my car by coincidence (I was gonna leave it home!) and 9 peopel in my car went to the area of the accident. In the mean time like 20 pilots friends of mine called me to tell me about this and they said the plane was over the RWY35 tunnel, sideways. Some other piltos said they saw it skid sideways, then hit the grass, and break off landing gears and saw smoke!

We drove tehre by the bus lane (Thats illegal but ohh well) and I spoke with the cops to let me through as press and with all my pilot friends we went in! And then I saw this

In the mean time it was pouring rain like crazy. Cops wanted to get us out. I tried to get into the airport but it was too dangerous with security so I went around. I managed to get this pics as well

WEll, I was trying to get a full fram, I saw many people from tehre houses, i thought of getting in their house with permission and taken pics from the roof, but they didnt let us (Bare inmind houses are just around there like 150 meters off the RWY) So I saw a gate that was open in a parking lot. With a buddy we opened it and went in, we climb over a thousand trucks on got on the roff of one and took the pic I have online here in JP now.

[photoid=6104979]

Aloso got this detail shots, sorry they are not high quality but it was like 10 degrees, I was soaked, no light and I was shaking!!

Look at this!

Any way, we took these shots and I was soaked, and we had to get an other shot. We went back, grabbed my car and people were still runing to see the aircraft. We took the car crossed the tunnel and parked at the other side. I went and saw the plane even closer and I just could believe to see this view.

To manage this view I had to climb over a fence and get on the roof of a little shack and put my tripo and cam in the rain to try and get these shots!! I took like 20, and well, It worked!

[photoid=6105074]

So we took these shots and then police came to look at me, they didnt say anything, but ohh well, I got the shos and then ran back to the car. We left in a moderate traffic, and went to the flight scholl. A friend who works in UIO in ICARO and has a security pass, he has the msot amazing shot. Not uploadable, but you see the damage.

The plane even made a hole in the tunnel (Grass area covers two tunnels!). I mean, it made a hole you can see through, it was made with the landing gear. A main landing gear tore off, all the tyres burst. Engines 1 and 2 broke I mean, hit the ground and twisted! You can see the part which grabs the wing is broken, twisted, engines are brokjen, people say to have heard several compressor stals as it hit, meaning theyre totaled, Just look how they are facin and other way.

Front gear according to the pics my friend has, bent and the front bad and all is breaking out. The wing root of the let wing is cracked all the way back to the fusse! Under the plane tehre are several parts which are broken, scratched, or ripped off. Right wing it broken according to his pics and what we saw. Engine 3 also hit and was forced upwards and you see a kind of crack in my pics.

Well, what ca I say. UIO is closed, until further notice. I tried to get the police people to get me a ride in the helicopter for a pic! But they denied it because of airport security.... I cant beleive all this, but well, they say that it will be very hard to remove the airpcraft as it lies in a very big slope!!

I can be 99% sure its a write off. I doubt any one from IB wants to give me info, but lets see what can happen. Thats all for now. Sorry if I write too much.

Comment

Thank you for your effort, you did the right thing, you perhaps where to save people so driving rough is justified.
                  "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Great pictures. They are excellent.

How much further to the airport perimeter?

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro
                      Thank you for your effort, you did the right thing, you perhaps where to save people so driving rough is justified.

Huh? He got there after rescue was there?
                      Tanner Johnson - Owner
                      twenty53 Photography

Comment

Cool Photos!!!! It is amazing how bad this was.
                        John Poshepny

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs.— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, 'USA Today,' 1994

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                          Great pictures. They are excellent.

How much further to the airport perimeter?
                          Umm, 5 meters? Maybe less. Look at both pics on JP, they are jsut off the airport wall. I cant beleive how lucky these gusy are!

THIS JUST IN! UIO is open! LOCLAIZER out of service. I was told by a source 70% trustable (Airport operations) that the airport will be cut!!!!!!! IAs i said its no 100% reliable! But lets see what happens!

And about the recue thing hahaha,nahh, I didnt recues anyone, i just took pics! Of course, someone would of had to rescue US if we crashed. We were going pretty fast on that bus lane.

Comment

Iberia is flying A346 to Quito?? It seems that its Spain-S. America business is really well. The damage on the left wing looks pretty severe. At least no one is hurt.
                            Next:
                            None Planned

Comment

what a waste
                              I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X