Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little section of my model airport (w/ photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little section of my model airport (w/ photos)

This is my first project, half way trough its ”final” touches. I still have many stuff to make on this section.

If others havent followed me on my previous posts.
    They can find the DAC thread here ---> Custom made Jetbridges 1:400 by C-rex ( 1 2 )

Here’s the story of this one. Its funny how it all started with the box on the corner, attached some square tubings on the sides, made the jetbridges and glued them together with a cab on the aircraft end and a rotunda on the terminal end. I added a stair and and some minor stuff on it. But that’s just about it. My ongoing works on those parts are at holt right now until I get my lazy *** over to the hobby shop and buy paint, tools to round off the sharp edges (suggested by other collectors)
    I started working on the GSE’s, made the belly containers in two sizes, 1 tug and a fire truck, plus 5 airport buses, you know the big ones. Since I grew tired on making those (which require patience as well as time to cut them up in small pieces. Giving those a break for a little while, I jumped over to the ground, I thought it was cool weathering the ground (I started giving them some tire marks) and I think the results that you below looks pretty good. Obviously it needs more love and would probably look even better when I include some darkgrey/lightgrey paint when I go to the hobby shop. It the GSE roadways looks amateurish imo. So you guys don’t need to mind me about that. Its still a prototype as I couldn’t wait to finish it.
    My working philosophy is that to never stop if you can’t accomplish something, just work on another part instead, otherwise one will never get to finish the work.

So please enjoy my half-finished airport work, that I really enjoyed making to show you guys my work. The way I had worked and developed the jetbridges will be used as inspirations for myself, since these are the prototypes, the basics will probably used for future works.
    I’m really impressed of my work, but I bet that it can be much better looking, as time will tell.

I will be making tutorials soon if anyone requests them.

Again I expressed myself for not making it that good regading the GSE roadways. I promise I will give more love next time I redo the ground.

Don't laught about special markings for my supporters. and the CAB rotaing point. I was just folling around, I know they look hideous, they will look alot different and better when Im done.

That building look so bold... Hmmm... *think* think* think*

As you can see, its not the best custom GSE you have seen, but I think they look good considering they are prototypes.

Sorry for the blank out square on the corner. Its a little surprise that is not related to this section.

I have so many more things to learn as to better distribute the tiremarks. *sigh*

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Remember to put the oil stains around the engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenden S
      Remember to put the oil stains around the engines.
      Easy said than done, with what do you suggest ?

And can you post a picture of oil on the ground, so that I can look for "materials" to make them with. Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
        Easy said than done, with what do you suggest ?
        Hi Max...

First of all, congratulations on doing projects like this and the jetbridges. It certainly adds character to a display! Also, do you do assrmbly illustrations, either free-hand or computer graphics?

Secondly, creating oil stains; This can be accomplished using a bottle of "dirty" (well used) paint thinner and a small detailing brush. Saturate the brush in the mucky thinner, then with it still full, just *touch* it on the area you want the stain on, no brushing, and walla ! Practice first to make sure you create an oil STAIN, instead of an oil SPILL, which is easy to do with the thinner because it spreads upon contact. I've used this technique many times on dioramas with realistic results.

Take care,
        Frank
        "Don't aftermarket details save lots of trouble?"
        "Only if you'd rather spend less time modeling!"

Comment

Originally posted by oldHooker
          Hi Max...

First of all, congratulations on doing projects like this and the jetbridges. It certainly adds character to a display! Also, do you do assrmbly illustrations, either free-hand or computer graphics?

Secondly, creating oil stains; This can be accomplished using a bottle of "dirty" (well used) paint thinner and a small detailing brush. Saturate the brush in the mucky thinner, then with it still full, just *touch* it on the area you want the stain on, no brushing, and walla ! Practice first to make sure you create an oil STAIN, instead of an oil SPILL, which is easy to do with the thinner because it spreads upon contact. I've used this technique many times on dioramas with realistic results.

Take care,
          Frank
          Right on brotha. This is a very constructive help. I see You're a modeller too ?

With the illustration part, what do you exactly mean with that though ?
          Are you thinking of the lines on the layout ? If so, that is made free-hand ?
          Please correct me if I misunderstood your question.

Well since Im not a paint-expert and have zero knowledge on about paint. Please explain what's a well used paint thinner ? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
            Right on brotha. This is a very constructive help. I see You're a modeller too ?

With the illustration part, what do you exactly mean with that though ?
            Are you thinking of the lines on the layout ? If so, that is made free-hand ?
            Please correct me if I misunderstood your question.

Well since Im not a paint-expert and have zero knowledge on about paint. Please explain what's a well used paint thinner ? Thanks.
            Hi Max,

In your jetbridges post, I saw several ask how it's done, and I was wondering if you were going to illustrate the construction process. If you're anything like me, I can explain a process until I'm blue in the face and there will still be those who don't get it.... but if I illustrate it, there's never any questions. Kind of like the instruction sheet in a model; the drawings help explain what words cannot.

I do scale model construction/modification schematics.... see examples below:
            http://gunsagogo.org/fntpylonraise.jpg
            http://gunsagogo.org/cfmcowlingfix.jpg
            http://gunsagogo.org/spru.jpg
            http://gunsagogo.org/panels.jpg
            http://gunsagogo.org/railings.jpg
            http://gunsagogo.org/canvac.jpg

If you'd like, once you get your assembly order figured out, I can illustrate the process for you. I'm not trying to horn-in on your project, I just thought I'd offer my services if you would want them.

Paint thinner oil stains: Go to a store that sells plastic models and get a small bottle of Testors Enamel Paint Thinner (brush cleaner), a bottle of Flat Brown, and Flat Black. Back at home, put a drop of the brown & black together, and about 20 times as much of the thinner, then stir it all up. Add thinner if needed until you get a *stained* clear liquid. Swish the paintbrush in that and just touch the tip of it on the area you want to the oil stain to appear.

Like I said earlier, practice on a scrap piece that has the same painted surface as the one your using in your diorama in order to hone the technique.

Hope this helps.
            Take care,
            Frank
            "Don't aftermarket details save lots of trouble?"
            "Only if you'd rather spend less time modeling!"

Comment

Hey Frankie. I really appreciate your offer to help me, but I'm already on it, I have taken snapshots while I cut them out, saying the measurements and putting them together, where to cut and so on.. Again thanks for your offer though.*thumbs up*

I really like your works from the posted links.

Oil stains.: I will copy your post and save it on my computer. I'll pm you if I have some questions.

Comment

Apron view of Milano.. LIMC. Airport. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

LLBG. Airport. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Busy afternoon at T2 ramp. Fly Globespan, First Choice, Singapore, Virgin, Qatar, First Choice, Continental, Thomson, KLM and Thomson.. EGCC. Airport. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

There are some oil stains on the ground.

Comment

Ah yes. Thanks mate. for finding the photos for me.

Comment

Looks great, John. Let me guess, RPLL was your inspiration. Love the detail on the tarmac, can't wait to see it all done.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                      Looks great, John. Let me guess, RPLL was your inspiration. Love the detail on the tarmac, can't wait to see it all done.
                      Thanks. Actually the inspiration is not really based on any particular airport, I made that out from my mind via Google earth. It is tough as I am freehanding the layout, making it the way I really want it... That way I can add more details into it unlike those you see on premade GJ layout or other ones. Stay tune, I'll keep this one updated.

Comment

Oh, it just reminded me a bit of the PAL terminal at RPLL.

I'm lazy so I'm just using the GJ terminal/airport. I still need the terminal, but I've had the mats for a year now.
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh, it just reminded me a bit of the PAL terminal at RPLL.

I'm lazy so I'm just using the GJ terminal/airport. I still need the terminal, but I've had the mats for a year now.
                          Maybe so, the corner of it, yeah ! The PAL terminal jetways looks much better though, they have pylons supporting the jetways..

Good luck with your airport, keep me updated when you get your terminal.

Btw you might want to see this thread from w900.

Adding people inside the GJ terminal.
                          I just finished putting about 50 mini people inside my Gemini Airport Terminal. I used flat, brass, ship figures that are made in 1:350 scale (available here: Toms Modelworks ). And considering that

Comment

Thanks. But I am very interested in your custom GSE. How did you go about making those? The catering truck is amazing! Plus it must be cheaper than buying GJ or DW GSE.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks. But I am very interested in your custom GSE. How did you go about making those? The catering truck is amazing! Plus it must be cheaper than buying GJ or DW GSE.
                              Those are made of Evergreen plastic. Strips and square tubes, round tubes all in different sizes. Very convenient to use, as Evergreen produces a lot of them and they are in wide variety. Evergreen Sheets as large as A4 page can be used for walls or rooftops. Very easy to cut and form.
                              Yes It is alot cheaper to make on your own, depends how good you are with your fingers though, cause there's alot of detail-cutting in the custom work, Ihave done so far, As I found out. LOL. It is a little time consuming but its all fun to have made parts of it, and to not just buy anything, which btw I considered was too easy. It pays off in the end. And I can basically make whatever I want. GJ or DW only make certain GSE's. While as a Customizor I have free hands to make whatever I need.

Comment

Working...
                              X