• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal airline accidents hit an all-time low in 2007

Will 2008 fly on the same corridors, wait and see

DATE:02/01/08
    SOURCE:Flightglobal.com
    By David Learmount

Global figures for commercial aviation crashes in 2007 show an all-time low of 23 fatal accidents, and even the number of fatal casualties, at 597, was well below the annual average for the last 10 years.

The comparable figures for accidents in 2006 were 27 fatal accidents resulting in 863 fatalities, which can be measured against an annual average for the decade 1998-2007 showing an average of 34.5 fatal accidents a year and 846.3 fatalities.

The worst accident of the year was the TAM Linhas Aereas Airbus A320 landing disaster at Sao Paulo Congonhas airport which killed 187 on board and 12 on the ground.

Apart from that crash and a Tu-134 landing accident at Samara airport, Russia that killed six of its 57 passengers, all the accidents involving passenger aircraft took place in third-world economies or aircraft registered in them.

The largest number of fatal accidents for a single country occurred in the Democratic Republic of Congo, with six fatal crashes of which four were cargo flights and two were commuter operations flown using Let 410 twin-turboprop aircraft.

The DR Congo accident picture is worsened by the fact that most cargo flights there carry unathorised passengers anyway, and one of the accidents involved a crash into a Kinshasa residential area killing an unknown number of people on the ground.

Meanwhile, Indonesia saw two of the year's worst fatal accidents involving passenger jets - an Adam Air Boeing 737-400 and a Garuda 737-400, and in addition Adam Air suffered serious damage to one of its fleet following a very heavy landing.

A full analysis of world airline safety in 2007, including a listing of the accidents and incidents, a breakdown of events by cause and aircraft category, and a review of the final accident reports published during the year will be presented in the 8-14 January issue of Flight International.
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Thats great that this year was more safe, but still far too many lives lost.

Third world countries? So that Comair flight was in 2006? Could have sworn the LEX accident was in 07...
    sigpic
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

I agree that still too many lives were lost, I don't consider it a safe year, until not one person has died in a Plane Crash, even though that is nearly impossible. Note I am not counting medical emergencies.
      John Poshepny

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs.— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, 'USA Today,' 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
        Thats great that this year was more safe, but still far too many lives lost.

Third world countries? So that Comair flight was in 2006? Could have sworn the LEX accident was in 07...
        Comair 191 was 2006

Comment

5191 was on Aug 27, 2006 to be exact. I still think about it every time I fly into LEX.

Comment

So no airliner crashes in the US for 2007!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X