Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: BA 777 landing accident at LHR

Thumbs down BA 777 landing accident at LHR

Time. 13.15 hrs Thursday 17th January

Breaking news that a Chinese 747 has landed short of the runway at London Heathrow.
    Airport is shut as far a i know at the moment.

More info as i get it

It was a British Airways B777 flight from China.

Hope there were no serious injuries? Picture on Sky news website.

3 Treated for minor injuries. It landed just in front of the fence on 27L. It came to rest just to the right of the 27L numbers. I guess from the pictures on TV is under carridge went at about 20Metres as they dug in, it then slid probably another 400M - 600M before comming to rest.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 01-17-2008 at 01:55 PM.
    Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Good thing no one was seriously hurt, this could have ended very ugly. Gotta wonder what happened on board that lead to the jet landing several hundred meters short.

Of course, you can always count on CNN to do their work correctly - quote from the article:
    A spokesman for Heathrow -- the world's busiest airport

After looking at that last picture on CNN, wow.

Looks like a pic just made it to the db.
    [photoid=6152403]

Reports are coming through that it had total on board systems failure

At this point id like to congratulate the crew for getting the plane down without any serious injuries. Knowing the area around LHR, if that huge 777 had landed any earlier the casualties could have been catastrophic. Even putting it down on the runway in the condition it was in could have resulted in a far worse outcome giving how busy LHR is with traffic.

Just to add another point. I flew that exact plane to Sydney via Singapore just over two weeks ago. Daaaam. . .

I flew it to NYC in March Was it YMMM?
    Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Yeah mate it was. 'Was' being the operative word lol.

Scary!!!!
    Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Looks like the crew have made all the difference!
    DTVAirport

Reports are that all power was lost around 500ft...

In any case, this won't do BA's current reputation any good what with the huge management screw up with cabin crew reaching maximum hours and flights having to be cancelled worldwide either. I was on a flight back from NRT last week that was subsequently axed due to 'operational reasons'. I can see a sharp dive in share price on the not so distant horizon...

Quote Originally Posted by BA747-436
    Reports are that all power was lost around 500ft...
    I guess it's fortunate that this happened relatively in range of the airfield. Scary stuff!
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Fortunate? Id say that's about the biggest understatement you could muster up lol.

Also any idea what that huge hole is from near the wing root on the wing? My initial guess would be landing gear strut being rammed up through the wing on landing? Or possibly something to do with the engine disintegrating.

[photoid=6152406]
    [photoid=6152404]

Quote Originally Posted by BA747-436
    Also any idea what that huge hole is from near the wing root on the wing? My initial guess would be landing gear strut being rammed up through the wing on landing? Or possibly something to do with the engine disintegrating.
    I'd say it was the gear strut puncturing the wing. Reports (and yes, I know how inaccurate those can be) all seem to indicate that the aircraft crossed the fence at an extraordinary high angle of attack, with the wings rocking back and forth. That's pretty indicative of being on the edge of a stall, which would be expected in this case. If both engines did indeed fail, it wouldn't take but a few seconds for all the drag from those huge flaps to take hold and decay the airspeed significantly.

In that situation, you'd want to lower the nose to maintain whatever airspeed you had left, and aim for a touchdown (stall) just beyond the last major obstacle you'd really want to clear (in the case of a 27L approach, likely the perimeter road). If that's what the crew were trying to do (pure speculation on my part), they pulled it off as well as could be expected.

The condition of the gear, and the fact that the aircraft stopped about 900ft from where it touched down, indicates that they touched down extremely hard, and had hardly any energy left when they did so. Thus my speculation that the hole in the wing is from the gear strut coming through.
    Trump is an idiot!
    Vote Democrats!!

Id say your explanation sounds just about spot on. The high angle of attack coupled with the presumably low airspeed would be enough to do this damage and stop the plane relatively quickly. Perhaps if it had been able to make it to the runway (which may have not been such a good idea...) the aftermath would not have been so pretty? Asphelt coupled with a large impact of a metal structure and aviation fuel can be a messy concoction. . . So in this case landing on relativly soft grass area ahead of the runway could have been a contributing factor to the positive outcome of this mishap. I have to say that its also becomming apparant that the crew pulled off a minor miracle getting her down in one piece (or near enough) and with minimal casualties. Of course, what caused the total power outage will be interesting to discover and divulge. One must be thank full that this wasn't an aircraft made from a mostly composite material like those made by a competing company or the outcome of the condition of the aircraft on completion of its emergency landing may have been somewhat different .... Purely speculation on my behalf though
    Last edited by BA747-436; 01-17-2008 at 06:26 PM.

As more and more info trickles through, its pretty obvious the passengers have been extreemly lucky, this could have been much worse.

On a related note, can anyone help me work this comment out??:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_...172-16,00.html
    Last edited by turbotraker; 01-17-2008 at 06:28 PM.