FAO Brad- Grass Runways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO Brad- Grass Runways

Ok just giving you good ole beer-drinking-frat-dorm-floor-whatever-crap.

No anger.

But, why did the BA 777 sink into the mud and tear off it's main gear?

I thought there were these things called grass runways where planes could land and depart?

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

There's a HUGE difference between a T7 and a Cessna. If you can tell me of a grass runway capable of landing a T7 then I'll revise my post.

-Chris

Comment

Is that like a serious question?

Comment

Originally posted by z740
        There's a HUGE difference between a T7 and a Cessna. If you can tell me of a grass runway capable of landing a T7 then I'll revise my post.

-Chris
        Exactly!... Just like there's a big difference between a fully flared J3 cub on a runway and a twin making an emergency landing between houses and tree lines, and a 172 on a plowed field.

Actually I am aware of 737 and DC-9 operations on dirt runways and have seen pictures in flying mag!

Hey, always enjoy your stuff!
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE
          Actually I am aware of 737 and DC-9 operations on dirt runways and have seen pictures in flying mag!

Not quite as big as a T7 though. Until you had brought that up I had also forgotten about those airports.

-Chris

Comment

Of course, the 777 ended up in much better shape than the GA twin you're specifically talking about, 3WE.

Comment

There's no telling what their descent rate was either.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                There's no telling what their descent rate was either.
                High enough to cause the LMG to shear through the wing. I guaranee you that ATC should get a medal for having to work with that monster off the end of the runway for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Multiman
                  High enough to cause the LMG to shear through the wing. I guaranee you that ATC should get a medal for having to work with that monster off the end of the runway for a few days.
                  Why?
                  27L takoffs 27R landings is a standard config for Heathrow. The runway was back in use about 4 hours after the incident.
                  ADCR
                  Tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit

Comment

ROFL that dudes signature takes up 75% of his post

Comment

Originally posted by JSchraub
                      ROFL that dudes signature takes up 75% of his post
                      Yeah, we know! It's only a matter of time...

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE
                        Exactly!... Just like there's a big difference between a fully flared J3 cub on a runway and a twin making an emergency landing between houses and tree lines, and a 172 on a plowed field.

FWIW, the Soviet (and now Russian) Air Force routinely operate the An-124 off grass.

Comment

Working...
                        X