2 Private Aircraft Collide Over Los Angeles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Private Aircraft Collide Over Los Angeles

A midair collision between two single-engine planes over suburban Los Angeles left at least five people dead, including one killed by the falling wreckage, police and federal officials reported.

Two private planes collided Sunday over a Los Angeles suburb, killing four people, including two on the ground, police and the Federal Aviation Administration reported.

The collision occurred about 3:35 p.m. Sunday (6:35 p.m. ET) in Corona, California, about 40 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer said.

The crash left wreckage strewn along a commercial strip near the Riverside Freeway, Jessica Martinez, a worker at a nearby restaurant, told CNN.

Preliminary reports indicated a motorist and a pedestrian were killed on the ground, Kenitzer said. One of the aircraft had been identified as a two-seat, Cessna 150, but the second plane involved was unknown Sunday afternoon, Kenitzer said.
    Too sad for them.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

The only thing worse than a midair and the almost always fatal results is when the event involves the deaths of innocent people.
    RIP.
    Don
    Standard practice for managers around the world:
    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

RIP indeed.

News reports here says that the the occupants of the C150 fell out, and hit parked cars. Here`s one wing

And a video, actually it`s a few stills put together. Just ignore the crap in the beginning, and the Norwegian voiceover has nothing to add either...

http://atvs.vg.no/player/?id=14086

Cheers,
      Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone.

Comment

Yikes, midairs are one of the few things that really scare me in a plane. Pretty much fire, midairs, and parts falling off the plane. And all of those are very closely related. I've had 3 near misses and I think I removed at least a square inch of seat cover on each occasion.

Comment

That is quite an intact wing. Not knowing the structure of Cessna's, can I say thats pretty good for a crash or are wings designed to be that well structered?

I couldn't imagine falling out into the parking lot.

Alex
          Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by ATrude777
            That is quite an intact wing. Not knowing the structure of Cessna's, can I say thats pretty good for a crash or are wings designed to be that well structered?

I couldn't imagine falling out into the parking lot.

Alex

Those things are strong enough to put up with what my former students put the planes through, so they're pretty strong!

Comment

Google Earth screenshot.

News stories give an address on Wardlow Road, (circled in red). Airport is at the top of the screen. Wardlow Road measures approximately one mile from the airport, and runs roughly parallel to the runway.

Non-towered airport.

A 150 and a 172 were involved, so this wasn't the classic high wing/low wing encounter.

From the story in the LA times (bold is mine):

"They looked like they would run into each other," said the off-duty Orange County sheriff's deputy. Champion thought it might be an optical illusion -- that the two planes might look close but actually be at different altitudes.

An instant later, however, he saw the northbound plane strike the other aircraft, Champion said.

It reminded him of an automobile collision. "It was almost like what you see in a T-bone traffic accident if someone runs a red light," he said.
              One on downwind, and the other entering the pattern?

Simple failure on the part of both pilots to 'see and avoid'?

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7201059.stm
                Another story.
                Ugh this is what scares me so much about fields with only a CTAF. I fly out of KJVY, just north of Louisville every time I go flying. No matter what direction the winds are reported, what runway the UNICOM operator says is being used/preferred, one or two jackasses will ALWAYS be out there taking off/landing with a tailwind. I know of at least one close call with a Champ and the 172 that my flight school used to own. It honestly scares me, especially considering there's numerous Falcons, Citations, Learjets, and King Airs operating out of that field regularly. Sometimes a majority of the pilots will be using a tailwind runway and/or flying the wrong pattern. Another half of the time they'll make some halfassed radio call that tells me nothing.
                Ok rant over, but this is a serious safety issue that pilots need to do something about.

Comment

creepy having bodies fall from the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by bradhig
                    creepy having bodies fall from the sky.
                    Originally posted by BBC
                    A Nissan salesman, Pete Argueta, said he saw a colleague and customers dashing for cover, screaming: "Run! Run! Run!"

The cockpit of one of the planes landed on his dealership, with a dead body inside, he told the LA Times.
                    Wow

Comment

Creepy indeed. I have a couple of pics of the impression made in the ground by Zeppelin crews that fell out of their airship during the bombing of London during WWI. Must have been a foot deep, shaped exactly like the bodies.

Comment

if i was ever in a situation like that, let me die from the A2A.

All in all, something could have been avioded, but so it goes.

God rest their souls.
                        / survivor from the ADC
                        // yes, now i fly single/duel props... flame on.
                        /// most of everything i say is sh*te.
                        ////give me a 787, and i'll roll it. yes. i. will.
                        ////slashies for the win!!eleven!!!

Comment

Heard about this, damn scary. I've had a near miss, and I'll tell you everytime I'm flying through the totally congested airspace over the Bay Area, I'm constantly scanning anticipating an aircraft to appear comming right at me.

The near miss I did have, ironicly, happened the one time traffic was so heavy my CFI elected we go "Flight Following" with Norcal Approach. A lot of good that did when they repeatedly issued our traffic alert to the wrong aircraft.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Willezurmacht
                            Creepy indeed. I have a couple of pics of the impression made in the ground by Zeppelin crews that fell out of their airship during the bombing of London during WWI. Must have been a foot deep, shaped exactly like the bodies.
                            Post these gems, Please!
                            Everyone made like DB Cooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                              The near miss I did have, ironicly, happened the one time traffic was so heavy my CFI elected we go "Flight Following" with Norcal Approach. A lot of good that did when they repeatedly issued our traffic alert to the wrong aircraft.
                              I have a recently developed morbid interest in MACs. Care to provide further details?

Comment

Working...
                              X