Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I´m a retired Concorde pilot.

No wait, seriously:

Real name is Heiko, 41, two kids, German (Saxon to be precise, the best of the german breeds )

I´m a graduated concert organist and electronic engineer with specialization in vehicle electronics. I work for a big brazilian company that builts anything from small stationary engines, over all size tractors to jeeps, busses and trucks up to 40 tons. I´m the aftersales manager until the shareholders find a better one.

Grandfather was an LH pilot on the 747 with roots as a fighter pilot in WWII, aviation passion is genetic charge . After the wall came down, I had many pleasant jumpseat rides with him.

As a hobby I´m doing curently a lot for MSFS together with the Project Tupolev Team.

You can find it here:

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?...Go=Change+View

The sim widow and the sim orphans are sometimes not amused.

Pipe
    Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Comment

Since I threw my two cents in the other threads I'll give you a quick bio.

I'm Dale and I live in Peterborough On. I'm 51 and married with two daughters (14 and 17). I'm almost at the 29 year mark with Air Canada and I'm a Manager in System Operations Control. I've worked in many areas of the airline starting in Cargo, then YYZ Gate Planner, then Weight and Balance, then DC8F Loadmaster, then Cargo Movement Control (lots of other AC jobs in between).

I had a PPL, however I lost it due to a medical prob about 5 years ago. I've worked in aviation from age 14 (Air Atonabee in Peterborough) and have always loved aviation. Also I fiddle (play in a fiddle band) and drive 141 km each day (one way) to work.

Comment

Hello, I'm Glenn

I live about 25mi NNW of Atlanta, but am a Yankee by birth, and still do not eat grits or say y'all. I am married, with two kids, 10 and 3. I have been a member here since October 2002, the opening of the site, but admittedly have not ever been active, and prior to the ad.com crash had not posted since 2003.

I am a bleeding heart liberal, well known at ad.com for my compassion towards those less fortunate, and my hostility towards conservatives, the present administration in particular.

Uh, no, strike that, I fell and hit my head this morning.
        -- Pipe, I hope you didn't choke on anything.

My career in aviation ended before it got started, when I failed my flight physical while in ROTC at Ohio State. Sadly, I never looked at other avenues, but still love aviation.

Sabre

Comment

Hi. I have been reading AD almost since it began and have just learned things reading this thread that I never knew about some ADers. I am enjoying my second half century in life, and have flown all over the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre

I am a bleeding heart liberal, well known at ad.com for my compassion towards those less fortunate, and my hostility towards conservatives, the present administration in particular.
            You had me puzzled there.
            warning: this post may contain traces of irony.

Comment

Hello. I'm Roberta, I'm 59, a widow, and I flew gliders before I married and settled down. I am equally interested in railroading and aviation. I grew up near a mainline crossing of the New York Central, and still spend quite a bit of time on visits photographing trains (carefully, these days). Since I'm functionally one-eyed, it took me a long time to learn to fly, but I was successful and loved it. I'm now a librarian, but I taught multiply handicapped children for many years.

I'm fascinated by human behavior and by perceptual psychology, and thus am interested in why people crash planes. The Tenerife disaster started that interest.

I was a mod at ad.com, mostly because I PM'd a few people and gently called them to task for their behavior, and thus was asked to help mod. Contrary to common belief, I did not become a mod by "sucking up" to anyone. I speak little, and my sig says why, but that does not mean I'm not thinking and evaluating closely what is said here.

Since I'm a busy grandma, librarian, educator, and have a "real life," I'm very happy to join the lurking public again. I'm a bit skeptical about forum life in general at this point, so I may be a bit caustic in what posting I do. Get over it, please.
              Ad Astera
              "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre

Uh, no, strike that, I fell and hit my head this morning.
                -- Pipe, I hope you didn't choke on anything.

Sabre
                Spilled my coffee, you bastard.

Just wonder if it would make any difference?
                Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Comment

I'm Ike, almost 33, live in Minneapolis, CPL/AMEL/ASEL/IR/CL-65, almost 2,000TT. Currently an F/O with a regional carrier.

Comment

I'm Paul. 19 from CT. Just got my PPL-SEL and I go to school at UConn. Besides flying I also like photography and computers/tech.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER

True, but I doubt too many ADers will read through all pages trying to read up about every active member .

Not to mention many haven't posted here in ages.

I'm Joe, I'm 24 and just moved to Atlanta. I'm currently in training to fly the CRJ 700. I first got into photography through taking pictures of airplanes, but mostly take pictures of other stuff now. Mostly travel photography whenever I get a chance.
                      Glad to see you back, Joe. How goes the training?

Comment

Good thread idea. Yeah, there's a sticky, but this one was definitely needed.

Who am I? I am what I am.

Here was a (very) short-lived wikipedia entry from last year:

Mr. Bottlecalifragilisticespialidocious

The preferred name of the leading Forum Attention Whore of http://www.airdisaster.com/forums. Previous names for this person include Half Bottle, Halfie, FAW, Decorked Freak, Bottle Boy, Al Weaver, The Ladies' Man, George W. Bush and The Twins.

Mr. Bottlecalifragilisticespialidocious is known for his fine taste in women's shoes, liberal social views, sexual prowess, song parodies and disturbing dreams involving Barbara Bush, her son and a cowboy hat.
                        I live in the Washington, D.C. area with my three magnificent daughters and one amazing, beautful, smart and kind wife (who unfortunately has a sex drive with a dual FADEC failure).

I am a lapsed student pilot (probably better phrased as a former student pilot) who realized that there was not enough daylight in the fall, winter and spring to keep my currency up even if I did finish my license.

Although I am average in my aviation interest, I am a genius marketer, a super-genius comedian, international super-genius parody artist and cunning linguist.

People like me when they meet me, but so far all of my internet meetings have followed a pattern: drinks with the guys at or near an airport and starbucks with the ladies who usually ensure there are at least three exits and they are seated closer to them than me.

I came to airdisaster.com because of my interest in the AA587 crash, which I still think was one of the highlights of that dead forum, along with the GOL and TAM crashes last year. I truly learned a lot.

I wrote a helluva story about shredding toilet paper with IntheShade once, but that's probably gone unless someone can find it on the Wayback Machine. That's probably what I regret most about the forum crash, along with some friends who won't find us here (although I'm pleased to see more than I thought would make it over).

That's about it for now.

Peace,

HB

Comment

Well ok then...

I'm Björn, 34, live in Göteborg, Sweden (at the moment). Married.

PPL student pilot, waiting for some decent weather and daylight atm... Documented interest in aviation from age 2½, especially aviation safety, and in particular operations and man-machine interaction.

Did a loooong stint at the Uni, ended up with a PhD in what's ostensibly "electrical engineering" but would more accurately be described as theoretical physics (nonlinear optics, Bose-Einstein condensate dynamics, some plasma physics thrown in for good measure). Currently an engineering consultant, doing electronics system design. That hopefully won't last too long... Looking for something more research oriented, but not in academia!

AD.com refugee, posted under another name at the old site; went AWOL there for a
                          while, but am back for the moment!

That'll have to do for now!
                          Last edited by Flying Bear; 2008-01-22, 18:22. Reason: Those who need to see it have... ;)
                          One who got away

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Gallivant
                            I did post in the sticky, but will gladly do it again here.

Henrik, 42, Danish, with 17 years in Flight Information Services (uncontrolled towers and Flight Information Center at Sondre Stromfjord) and ATC training in Greenland, Denmark and Luxembourg.
                            -snip-
                            Nice, I've always wanted to visit Greenland for the kicks!

Also, for posterity, Sondre Stromfjord should be referred by its "proper" name of Kangerlussuaq

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Bear
                              "bjornhall"
                              Aha... mystery solved!

I posted in the 'Introduce Yourself to the Forum' thread, but anyway...

I live in Washington DC, centrally enough to watch DCA traffic departing from my bedroom window (that really messes the bed covers up, I can tell you). However, I lived in London for the majority of my adult life.

Professionally, I'm a consultant - pretty much what I've wanted to do since I was 2 or 3. It was that or astronaut, and I just flipped a coin. I am on the slippery, downhill side of 29 and recently married.

My aviation interest is purely recreational.

Comment

I suppose I'll give it a go here, too...
                                I'm 31 living north of Dallas, TX. Currently, I work two jobs. I am a full-time elementary (Grades Kinder-5) music teacher. When I'm not there, I'm usually working the other job as sound tech at my church. I do a little freelance sound work now & then as well.

My interest in aviation started young from being around my uncles who farm & run a sprayplane business in rural Nebraska. I've always enjoyed flying and have been interested in it recreationaly since I was very young. My interest in aviation saftey began after being a passenger on AA1420 that crashed in Little Rock a number of years ago, and having an uncle who fatally crashed a family Luscombe the same year. I'm just one of those who comes here to learn all they can about aviation and enjoys doing so!

Comment

Working...
                                X