No announcement yet.

Introductions are in Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all. For those who don't know me I'm Tom, 31 from Long Island. I work in the healthcare field where I do a ton of traveling. Last year in fact I flew 204,000 real miles...so yes I never see my home. I've always loved aviation since I was child. That love helps out when I'm sitting in an airport on a 6 hour delay. Some look at it as a waste of time, I look at as a time to spot. I've been part of the JP.net crew for a little while now screening pictures. Glad to see the new faces and hope it brings a new sense of life to the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
      Nice, I've always wanted to visit Greenland for the kicks!

Also, for posterity, Sondre Stromfjord should be referred by its "proper" name of Kangerlussuaq
      Greenland is nice, well worth a visit or two, but pricey to travel there.
      As for place names, should of course have called it BGSF (airport) or BGGL (FIR).

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre
        Hello, I'm Glenn

I live about 25mi NNW of Atlanta, but am a Yankee by birth, and still do not eat grits or say y'all. I am married, with two kids, 10 and 3. I have been a member here since October 2002, the opening of the site, but admittedly have not ever been active, and prior to the ad.com crash had not posted since 2003.

I am a bleeding heart liberal, well known at ad.com for my compassion towards those less fortunate, and my hostility towards conservatives, the present administration in particular.

Uh, no, strike that, I fell and hit my head this morning.
        -- Pipe, I hope you didn't choke on anything.

My career in aviation ended before it got started, when I failed my flight physical while in ROTC at Ohio State. Sadly, I never looked at other avenues, but still love aviation.

Sabre
        Sucks. I was in AFROTC here at Purdue for 3 semesters until I failed the hearing portion of the DODMERB physical and couldn't get it waivered. That was a major disappointment. So now I'm doing Aeronautical Engineering Technology, which will allow me to go into the maintenance/construction side of the industry. In the meantime I'm currently working on instrument, then commercial, then if money permits, multi-engine. Hopefully I can sneak in with an airline. The thing that gets me the most is that I've never had any trouble understanding anybody when flying (I've yet to utter the words "Say again") but my hearing isn't good enough to even commission in the AF, let alone fly for them.
        ADC Refugee

Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by Half Bottle
          I am a lapsed student pilot (probably better phrased as a former student pilot) who realized that there was not enough daylight in the fall, winter and spring to keep my currency up even if I did finish my license.
          Why not? Just fly at night! Some of my greatest flying memories are from night flights.
          ADC Refugee

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1711
            Sucks. I was in AFROTC here at Purdue for 3 semesters until I failed the hearing portion of the DODMERB physical and couldn't get it
            Reminds me of when I walked in on my 16th birthday to get my third class medical so I could solo. Waited like an hour, had to wear a little surgical mask because I had a cough, had to piss in a cup, only to fail the vision portion of the test right off the bat. They did sing happy birthday to me though.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman476
              I suppose I'll give it a go here, too...
              I'm 31 living north of Dallas, TX. Currently, I work two jobs. I am a full-time elementary (Grades Kinder-5) music teacher. When I'm not there, I'm usually working the other job as sound tech at my church. I do a little freelance sound work now & then as well.

My interest in aviation started young from being around my uncles who farm & run a sprayplane business in rural Nebraska. I've always enjoyed flying and have been interested in it recreationaly since I was very young. My interest in aviation saftey began after being a passenger on AA1420 that crashed in Little Rock a number of years ago, and having an uncle who fatally crashed a family Luscombe the same year. I'm just one of those who comes here to learn all they can about aviation and enjoys doing so!
              You were on AA1420 when it crashed? How did I miss that?
              Note to self: Start reading ALL posts!
              Per
              Ancient Mariner
              Certified above and below...................sea level.

Comment

I'm Patryk, I'm 18. I live in Mississauga (that's in/near Toronto). I am Polish and I work at a company that buys/sells stuff. I have no avition experience other than Flight Sim. I like to play soccer and race, sorry drive, cars. My fav. music style is, of course, Euro/Dance/Club/Techno.

Next

Comment

I'm Sam and I'm from Oxford, uk. I'm just writing up my phd thesis *sore point, don't mention it* on neuroscience/pharmacology.

I know feck-all about aviation, but I come along for the ride anyway. Joined AD.com after the cyprus Helios crash in '05.

My interests include rock/indie/emo/metal, guys kissing guys, goth boots, cristina scabbia, left-wing politics, and crack.
                  Asylum seeker
                  AD.com refugee since 18/01/2008

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1711
                    Why not? Just fly at night! Some of my greatest flying memories are from night flights.
                    An abundance of caution borne out every time I see my three girls.

I know that many people are fine with it, but I'm not confident enough with my own flying skills to be comfortable with the potential to have to deadstick in the dark.

In addition, I am red-green color deficient and, for that reason, I don't think I would be safe enough to share the sky with you during night flight.

Comment

When even HB shares his life here, it doesn't leave me with much of an option. Here you go:

44 yrs, married for 15 years with three kids (12,10, 8 yrs.), born in the Netherlands, moved to Austria at the age of 10 and then at 29 to South Africa, Cape Town.

I qualified as a vet (my former life, I never practised though) did an MBA afterwards and finally a PhD in Business Admin. I own a (small) hotel in CPT now.
                      warning: this post may contain traces of irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Bottle
                        An abundance of caution borne out every time I see my three girls.

I know that many people are fine with it, but I'm not confident enough with my own flying skills to be comfortable with the potential to have to deadstick in the dark.

In addition, I am red-green color deficient and, for that reason, I don't think I would be safe enough to share the sky with you during night flight.
                        I see. I went flying last night. Didn't take any pictures, and it was cold as @#$% but there was an extremely bright full moon and it was amazing how much you could see, 3 or 4 hours after sunset. I could actually make out roads and unlit buildings and everything. The alternator was being a little goofy, though, so we stayed close to the (towered) airport and had our flashlights and transceivers armed and ready.
                        ADC Refugee

Comment

Cam is short for Cameron, it was given to me with without my consent when I was little and didn't have say because I couldn't talk. I'm now in the middle of a human rights tribunal and suing my parents.

I live in Halifax, NS on the east coast of Canada. We are sometimes forgotten by the rest of Canada because of a giant wall that was built between Ontario and New Brunswick, it's called Quebec ().

I work for a telecommunications company in their sales department. I would say I'm a better sales person than Chris, only because we don't sell the same product and I've never met him.

I've always had a love for aviation. The highlight of my trip to Europe last summer was the flight over and back (as well as buying German hiking boots and walking over manicured grass in Paris). Another highlight was going to the Paris air museum. I always thought the French were failures, but some of what I saw changed my mind. England and Germany were my favorites.

I've done my ground school, but like other members money is and will be an issue.

I also have a love for photography and do some spotting from time to time.

That is all.

(All you French and Quebecers, I'm kidding. I like you...some of you...My dad is from Montreal...)

On an odd note. I met Dale (ptbodale) when I was looking for routes over the Atlantic that airlines fly. He gave me a PM and offered to give me some used charts, I bought him beer when he came down for a visit. It was an interesting read and we've been friends ever since. And you thought the internet was a soulless beast!

Sam, I'm adding you on Facebook just because....I can help you with your thesis and give you some examples of the 24 that I've written on your subject.
                          My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

I'm James and am part of the JP screening team. 31 years young and living in Sheffield in the North of England.

I work as a retail branch manager for the UK's largest mobile communications retailer (aka The Carphonewarehouse).

My interest in aviation started as a kid where i loved watching these huge metal birds flying in the sky and more concerningly i loved the smell of Jet A, mmmmmmmm.
                            These days i'm a huge aviation photography geek mainly hanging out at MAN, but also love travelling too, and have met loads of fantastic mates along the way.

That's about it for now.
                            Last edited by B7772ADL; 2008-01-21, 21:06.

Comment

My name is Scott. I am a 47 year old living in central Indiana. Father is a retired Air Force interceptor pilot and brother is a current F-15E wizzo. The only aviating I have done is map reading for my dad in his C-195 many years ago. Just been vaguely around planes. Total palo(u)r talker.

An amatuer photographer that likes taking pictures of things in motion. Started with planes and now have added cars in the interstate.

For a living a work in the semi-trailer graphics business, until Feb. 1. The company I have worked for the last 23+ years was recently bought out and I am being RIF's/ layed-off come the first of the month. Kind of in a blue funk here recently and probably will not post much to keep my bad vibes away. Glad to be here though.
                              Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Warren in Houston, Texas. Have been a cowboy in Amarillo, spent three months on the Texas Clipper (the Aggies will know), worked in topless bars, once dated Miss USA, Miss World Runner-up, slept with a girl that a college bowl game is really named after (not Rose, I'm not that old) and have been a lawyer for more years than I care to remember. I'm just waiting for you pilots to screw up so I can sue your estate and show the jury, "Look - see from the forums his definition of 'Coffin Corner'?"

Hobbies - women. Am trying to finish the book I've been writing for three years, and hope to write a treatise on what really happened to Earhart (it doesn't involve Japs or Noonan being a drunk).

My older brother, whom I worship, had three tours of Vietnam as a Marine, and suffered a terrible shootdown in an OV-10 for which the pilot received the Congressional Medal of Honor for saving his life (and lost his in the process).

Love all of you, even when you're being acerbic, and even when Halfie tries to make a joke. el1 and ancient Per will be good stabelizing influences here.

Comment

Working...
                                X