No announcement yet.

Update on Quito Iberia A346 Overrun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm flying out of UIO tomorrow AM... I will be sure to take some pics of the plane in transition
    Proudly serving WTF comments since 2004

Comment

What's THS?
      As programed, the THS froze at 100ft, mantaining a sightly nose down position.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

What would be the logic against allowing pilot full control of the reverse thrust despite ground/air mode? If you're allowed rudder inputs that cause it to structurally fail why not TR?

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel
          What's THS?
          Trimmable Horizontal Stabilizer.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy2548m
            Trimmable Horizontal Stabilizer.
            Thanks Flyboy.

Now I wonder, below 100ft and after the THS froze, will the commands keep responding in the same way as the normal law was doing before (stick centered = 1G, if not centered vertical acceleration drifts from 1G proportionally to the joystick displacement)?

I know that under the normal law the aircraft response to joystick inputs is different in different scenarios, and I always felt that it would be somehow unnatural or confusing to suddenly have a different output for the same input. I'm wondering is the flare is one of those situations where the response changes and if that could have been contributory to the acident.

After all, it doesn't sound as a bad idea to change from the glide slope of the displaced ILS to the glide slope of the PAPI to save precious meters of a short and wet runway. It doesn't sound as a manouver that requires unusual ammounts of skill either. (yes I know, it violates the stabilized approach)

Shorsch?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Well, IB still got faith in the -600, more ordered http://www.edubourse.com/finance/act...php?actu=36470
              Wonder if they start flying again to Quito with this bird though?
              "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Working...
              X