Fear of Flying Forum...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear of Flying Forum...

If there are other refugees from the erstwhile AirDisaster.com forums with a specific interest in the fear of flying, your erstwhile newly-appointed moderator would like to recommend an excellent FoF support site called Taking Flight:

This link will take you straight to the discussion forums.

happy trails,
    wingnut

Thanks for the link.
    Don
    Standard practice for managers around the world:
    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Would it be possible to establish a Fear of Filing Forum? Tax return documents are starting to arrive in the mail....

Comment

If the JPers would like a local fright-training forum, I'd be happy to look in on it once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut
          If the JPers would like a local fright-training forum, I'd be happy to look in on it once in a while.
          heh. i'll take them up in the Skyhawk, bring her around then hit the throttles and do a 90 pull. when the horn sounds off i'll let go of the yoke and say "recover".

-- actually i know a large number of pilots that have a fear of heights...
          / survivor from the ADC
          // yes, now i fly single/duel props... flame on.
          /// most of everything i say is sh*te.
          ////give me a 787, and i'll roll it. yes. i. will.
          ////slashies for the win!!eleven!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MikaelCLT
            heh. i'll take them up in the Skyhawk, bring her around then hit the throttles and do a 90 pull. when the horn sounds off i'll let go of the yoke and say "recover".

-- actually i know a large number of pilots that have a fear of heights...
            SCHORSH....GABRIEL....HERE'S YOUR CHANCE!!!!!!!!!

Mike....I think I'll sit at your side, and not grab the yoke, and do nothing and see what happens......Ok Schorsch...your thread....
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Actually, my phobia recovery regimen is very similar.
              This got me over whatever was left of my fear of flying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsX2yGJ2Tn4

OK, Schorsch, it's all yours...

Comment

Fear of crashing forums would be a better name.
                Everyone made like DB Cooper.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE
                  Mike....I think I'll sit at your side, and not grab the yoke, and do nothing and see what happens
                  In a Cessna? It'll recover by itself a few seconds after leaving it alone.
                  Now try that in the Tomahawk and...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel
                    In a Cessna? It'll recover by itself a few seconds after leaving it alone.
                    Now try that in the Tomahawk and...
                    I was thinking it would do some dive and climb phugoid oscillations.

By the way, I do understand phugoids right, airspeed and/or attitude is out of whack so the plane climbs or descends (in a relative sense) to work towards it's "trimmed" airspeed.

Hopefully this oscillation is dampened and decreases over time.....
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE edited by Gabriel
                      phugoid: airspeed and/or attitude is out of whack so the plane climbs or descends (in a relative sense) to work towards it's "trimmed" airspeed, only that it works too hard and overshoots the trim speed, so again it's out of wack but to the other side and everything begins again.

Now, that's the shortest definition of phugoid I've ver seen that is at the same time very understandable for the layman and acceptable for the engineer.

3WE, you are brilliant.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Now, that's the shortest definition of phugoid I've ver seen that is at the same time very understandable for the layman and acceptable for the engineer.

3WE, you are brilliant.
                        Ok, next question:

A logic excercise:
                        If Balsa wood airplanes + Wolfgang Langewishche's book Stick & Rudder = Brillaint

Then a private pilot + MSFS experience = Ability to land an airliner.

Comment

3WE, you are brilliant.
                          ACTUALLY GABE, it's more like this:

phugoid: airspeed and/or attitude is out of whack so the plane "automatically" climbs or descends (due to it's design) (in a relative sense) to work towards it's "trimmed" airspeed, only that there's a lag in time until the plane reaches it's "trimmed" speed and during that lag the plane has climbed or descended (in a relative sense) too much and is then out of whack on the other side, so that it reverses it's climb or dive, again attempting to get back to it's trimmed speed.

This process will repeat iteself several times: It can possibly get worse in the amount of "climbing and diving" (negative dampening) or the plane can "gradually" zero in on it's trimmed airspeed (positive dampening), or it can simply maintain this oscillation (neutral dampening). Most aircraft are designed to inherently and eventually"zero in" on the trimmed airspeed.

Oh oh, we are starting to get into the length of Gabriel posts

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE
                            ACTUALLY GABE, it's more like this:

phugoid: airspeed and/or attitude is out of whack so the plane climbs or descends (in a relative sense) to work towards it's "trimmed" airspeed, only that there's a lag in time until the plane reaches it's "trimmed" speed and during that lag the plane has climbed (or descended) (in a relative sense) too much and is then out of whack on the other side, so that it reverses it's climb or dive, again attempting to get back to it's trimmed speed.
                            This process will repeat iteself several times: It can possibly get worse in the amount of "climbing and diving" (negative dampening) or the plane can "gradually" zero in on it's trimmed airspeed (positive dampening), or it can simply maintain this oscillation (neutral dampening). Most aircraft are designed to inherently and eventually"zero in" on the trimmed airspeed.

Oh oh, we are starting to get into the length of Gabriel posts

And to think I was so proud of you two posts ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Bottle
                              And to think I was so proud of you two posts ago.
                              And what does my signature say???

Comment

Working...
                              X