X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car crashes on runway at Jumbolair

Speeding car crashes on runway, five die

Sunday Jan 27 06:15 AEDT
    AP - A car travelling at high speed down a private airport runway ran off an embankment and was airborne for 60m before smashing into a tree on Saturday, killing all five young men in the vehicle, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

Investigators did not know whether the BMW was alone or was racing another car on the airstrip at the exclusive "fly-in" community of Jumbolair Aviation Estates, where pilot-actor John Travolta has a home, officials said.

According to the preliminary investigation, the car ran off the 26-meter-high embankment at the end of the runway. When it struck the large tree, the car split in half, scattering wreckage over an area of 18.6 sq m.

Three of the five occupants, aged 18 to 20 - were ejected, said Florida Highway Patrol Lt Mike Burroughs.

"It's too early in the investigation to determine a speed and also to determine whether seat belts were in use at the time of the crash," Burroughs said.
    İAAP 2008

Source

edit - sorry for duplication, and that's why i should always start my visit to JP in the Off Topic...

Blimey - airborne for 60 meters in a BMW.... any photos of exactly how this was achieved? must have been over some embankment or ditch or something.. seem like kids pranks..RIP to those concerned

Comment

Originally posted by Cargo Runner
      Blimey - airborne for 60 meters in a BMW.... any photos of exactly how this was achieved? must have been over some embankment or ditch or something.. seem like kids pranks..RIP to those concerned
      Yes, an embankment is mentioned in the article.
      And I think you've answered your own question

how this was achieved?
      seem like kids
      There's more in this thread.

DF

Comment

Working...
      X