Aviation Related? - Satellite could plummet to Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AVION1
    RTG or plutonium batteries are used on deep space missions, where solar power is difficult to obtain due to the distance from the Sun.
    However, I am not sure about MILITARY satellites..maybe they use them as stand-by power in case of a solar eclipse or solar flares.

There is no nuclear material on the satellite.

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1
      During the Columbia disaster, most of the fuel tanks survived the heat during the catastrophic re-entry.

The main difference here is that Columbia's tanks were nearly empty, not like the half-ton icecube orbiting now.
      May a plethora of uncultivated palaeontologists raise the dead in a way that makes your blood boil

Comment

G4 - It's a hit - you just sunk my battleship !!

Mission accomplished ... according to CNN

Syndicated news and opinion website providing continuously updated headlines to top news and analysis sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolling-Thunder
          G4 - It's a hit - you just sunk my battleship !!

Mission accomplished ... according to CNN
          ROFL LMAO
          Terry
          Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
          How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Direct hit...!

WASHINGTON: A missile interceptor launched from a navy warship has struck a dying American spy satellite orbiting 130 miles over the Pacific Ocean, the Pentagon announced late Wednesday.

Officials cautioned that while early information indicated that the interceptor's "kill vehicle" had hit the satellite, it would be 24 hours before it could be determined whether the fuel tank with 1,000 pounds of toxic hydrazine had been destroyed as planned.

Even so, one official who received a late-night briefing on the mission expressed confidence that the impact had been so powerful that the fuel tank probably had been ruptured.

Completing a mission in which an interceptor designed for missile defense was used for the first time to attack a satellite, the Lake Erie, an Aegis-class cruiser, fired a single missile just before 10:30 p.m. Eastern time, and the missile hit the satellite as it traveled at more than 17,000 miles per hour, the Pentagon said in its official announcement.

"A network of land-, air-, sea- and spaced-based sensors confirms that the U.S. military intercepted a nonfunctioning National Reconnaissance Office satellite which was in its final orbits before entering the Earth's atmosphere," the statement said.

More of it here: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bda_1203609761
            Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Working...
            X