No announcement yet.

Got Photos on Airliners.net? READ THIS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main prolbem is, that whatever their legal team might communicate via other people to the forums is worth nothing. If they do not change the text and you agree it means what it says, not what a forum post may explain it to mean.

Comment

agreed, they should have had lawyers read it prior to sending out the new rules to see if it was legal instead of finding out after the fact.

I have less and 100, but no qualms in removing them as I stopped uploading to them last April because it wasn't worth the headache...

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
        The main prolbem is, that whatever their legal team might communicate via other people to the forums is worth nothing. If they do not change the text and you agree it means what it says, not what a forum post may explain it to mean.
        Correct, which is why I and a bunch of other people have said we don't just want clarification, we want the terms to be changed or else we pull our photos. There's a month to go before the new terms come into effect so it's worth waiting to see what happens next week, but there's no way I'm going to give anyone a licence to rip off my work.

Charles

Comment

Mann !! its a warzone & one-way-traffic out there on A.net

A gentleman has posted a thread now which reads the following :-

The "Please Remove My Photos" Thread

Dont think many people have got the patience to wait now, Soren pulled out his images, so did Eric D Smith the person who put up this thread.
          And i believe quite a few others would have already saved the email in their drafts folder, mulling over whether to hit the send button or not.

What a mess

Comment

Thread Deleted....

Comment

Originally posted by Vishal Jolapara

That's been deleted pretty quickly...

Soren pulled out his images, so did Eric D Smith the person who put up this thread.
              Is that Sören a.k.a. Birdwatching?

BTW, the new a.net head guy has responded: http://tinyurl.com/3c7yg4

Comment

Mann !! its a warzone & one-way-traffic out there on A.net

Dont think many people have got the patience to wait now, Soren pulled out his images, so did Eric D Smith the person who put up this thread.
                And i believe quite a few others would have already saved the email in their drafts folder, mulling over whether to hit the send button or not.

What a mess

What a bad day for A.net. They did even remove the theard "Please Remove My Photos"

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe
                  Thread Deleted....
                  No suprise there then

Anything negative .......

Anyway i really am not that bothered personally , i have nothing to loose if i do pull my pics.... its only a website !

On the other side of the coin , Chris will be following this very closely ill bet ....

like i mentioned in reply 2 : screeners at the ready

regards

Comment

Originally posted by aloges
                    That's been deleted pretty quickly...
                    Does that surprise you? Criticism is never allowed on A.net. I mean, these days you get banned for including this in your posts, as it's supposedly from a "rebel site" :rolleyes: .

Too bad the Jetphotos logo is so big, I feel like including it in the next post I make over there just to see how long of a ban that will earn...

Comment

That reply from Deeplight sounds like BS to me. Especially the part about "Legal" wanting them to post the new TOS/TOU/Whatever you want to call it. It just shows the site has become another part of the corporate whore house known as demand media and they are just concerned about when they can legally start ripping photos off. They might change the wording a little and give a BS explaination of what it means, but it seems thier intent is pretty clear to me. They have a right to use a.net images however they want for their own profits without giving any payment to the photog. If that's ok with you, leave your pics up. If you don't like that, the only option is to take them down.

They know that if they implement the new TOS, give a BS explaination and then start using the images most of the photographers wont even know what thier images are being used for, or be able to do anything legal about it. Lawyers and courts cost money, so demand media would be safe as they have a legal team and the rest of us don't. What they are shitting bricks over right now is that fact that they may very well end up with a database containing no photos at all. At which point they will have lost whatever they paid for the site as well as their investors getting grumpy and possibly pulling out at which point the end for demand media would come.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                        Does that surprise you?
                        just about as much as the Pope being catholic

I mean, these days you get banned for including this (...) in your posts, as it's supposedly from a "rebel site".
                        While I agree that a select few members have taken the personal attacks much too far, deletions and bans based on rubbish like this only add fuel to the fire. If it wasn't for this "We're the best!" atmosphere and the ridiculous "we're so serious that it hurts" attitude, neither Mendis nor Coz would ever have had traffic worth mentioning on their sites.

Too bad the Jetphotos logo is so big, I feel like including it in the next post I make over there just to see how long of a ban that will earn...
                        Naah... don't burn any bridges if you're not 1000% sure you'll never want to use them again. A bit like my account here, really, I never got used to the then new JP forum interface after the switch, but kept my screen name anyway.

Comment

From the airshow site interesting read the article in

It seems all these internet companies are trying to benefit from the work of others. We all know what counts is content. Spotting for most is a hobby, and av photos sites should be run by aviation enthusiasts and and/or professionals, not by “Generic” Internet Companies where their profits is what counts and all their assets is the content they control.

We receive to the JP admin email account everyday requests to use photos on publications/websites, and we always refer them to the photographer, we have no intent to use the photos in anyway but on the JetPhotos website, and that’s why we do not keep or have non-watermark versions of the photos of photogs that apply watermarks to their photos.

Anyone know how to remove photos from that site, don’t have much, but still want to remove them.

But it would be bad for all of us if A.net would disapear, having a.net there was always something that pushed me to implemnt new features here in JP.

Cheers,

Gabe
                          Last edited by gbasco; 2008-02-09, 22:36.

Comment

Hello Photographers, Crew AND Members,

I want to let everyone know that all photorights will be held by the photographer and I will personally oversee and take care of any problems over this coming week Photos will ONLY be used the way they are used now and possibly for new features but always in the same form and not modified or for use in any other way.
                            We will work you on the TOU so you are up to speed on every detail and we will work on changes this week.

Please accept my deepest apology as this was a mandate from legal to implement TOU asap. I take full responsibility on this issue and Monique was simply following instructions to move on this. I'm in contact with Legal today and will be working with them over the next week to sculpt this document. Please be patient - Thank you

I'm sorry this is going to be quick as I had to log on a computer at the airport as this is a rare day for me - I'm with my 90 yr old Dad on a flight / trip to the Confederate Air Force Museum / hangar in OXR - Oxnard,CA. to see the plane he flew in WWII.

I will be back on after 630pm PST and I'm available all day tomorrow as well.

Best Regards,
                            Paulo Emanuele
                            The A.net GM's Reply

Comment

Just for clarification, JP.net's Photo Usage Terms have been updated as well (although in opposite directions from A.net's):

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I felt, even though it had always been implied, that I should put in writing exactly what we do and don't intend to do with the photos uploaded here. In layman's terms, other than displaying the photos on the JetPhotos.Net domain (which covers our bases in the case of front page top shots, etc. as well as the main photo pages), we will not use your photos for anything else, EVER!!

Unlike the management at Airliners.Net, I'm a photographer too, and the my rights as a photographer are very important to me. I, nor my team, would ever do anything to jeopardize that, or the trust the aviation photography community has in us.

As Gabe says, we get lots of photo use requests every day to the Admin/Screeners, and each and every one is directed to contact the photographer directly!
                              Trump is an idiot!
                              Vote Democrats!!

Comment

This entire thread is flamebait to the highest degree! Delete all of my photos here and my membership.

Comment

Working...
                                X