WestJet plane skids off runway at Ottawa airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WestJet plane skids off runway at Ottawa airport

"Emergency crews rushed to the Ottawa Airport late Sunday night after a plane carrying 92 people, including crew, slid off the runway."

It's still sitting off the runway this morning at 07:00 EST. The airport authority claims no other flights are affected, however the runway conditions on the open runway aren't the best due to freezing rain last evening.

Comment

An update at 08:45 EST, (13:40Z).

Runway 07/25 closed until approx 1900Z for aircraft recovery.

Runway 14/32 available, however winds are 230/16 gusting 24 to 40. Also runway is 20% contaminated - ice covered.

Comment

WestJet plane skids off runway at Ottawa airport

The airport runways were icy after freezing rain fell across much of Ontario.
        The flight originated in Calgary.

The Boeing 737 came to a rest in the snow and ice off the end of runway 25.

There were no injuries among the passengers and crew.
        http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...t-westjet.html

Comment

This is Air Canada's fault. (insert mega sarcasm here)
          My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
            This is Air Canada's fault. (inset mega sarcasm here)
            signed... ah w/e we all know who

Comment

Fortunately, nobody was hurt I believe that this is one of the only accidents in WestJet history. This shouldn't affect its superb safety record immensely, IMO

Comment

Originally posted by sfoflyer
                Fortunately, nobody was hurt I believe that this is one of the only accidents in WestJet history. This shouldn't affect its superb safety record immensely, IMO
                A couple of weeks ago they put an 800 off the end of the runway in Thunder Bay (YQT).

As for Cam. Air Canada's recovery team went to YOW (yes we have a recovery team) and removed the aircraft from the snowbank. AC had diverted 6 flights away from YOW because of the freezing rain.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                  A couple of weeks ago they put an 800 off the end of the runway in Thunder Bay (YQT).

As for Cam. Air Canada's recovery team went to YOW (yes we have a recovery team) and removed the aircraft from the snowbank. AC had diverted 6 flights away from YOW because of the freezing rain.
                  I'm sure that Westjet appreciates AC generosity! Very civilized of you.
                  Terry
                  Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
                  How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Shouldn't they be renamed waste jet then???
                    named after the king

Comment

Working...
                    X