Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you collect??

You should come to sunny Darwin! (Northern Australia in case you don't know). We have most of the WW2 airfields still here in the bush. Plenty of B-24s and the odd B-17 plus a bunch of other aircraft flew out of here to attack the Japs in New Guinea and further afield. We still have catalinas in our harbour, a bunch of wrecks both found and yet to be found, plus heaps of "auxillery" stuff like steel helmets bullets and the odd gun barrel...You can still pick up a .50 cal round pretty easily if you know where to look. There were any number of take-off and landing incidents/accidents, where the Americans would just write off the plane and drag it out of the way. Bits still hanging around all over the place. Don't you just hate me?
    For those who don't know (most don't) Darwin was bombed 64 times by the Japs. The bombers were the same bombers and came from the same aircraft carriers that took part in the bombing of Pearl Harbour.

Near EHAM (Schiphol Amsterdam Airport), The Netherlands

I collect model aircraft from any Dutch airline there is (or was), in all color schemes (still waiting for a good model of the MP retro jet).
    Scale 1:200, the model brand doesn't really matter. They just have to look good, not too plastic like. I prefer the metal models with realistic paint.

I also keep all my boarding cards / tickets.
    I also have some flight safetycards (got most of them from a friend or asked the crew).
    And I always ask for a copy of the flightplan, got most of my flights.

Although I have not added any to my collection recently, I do collect Airline Playing Cards. OMG I have dumped so many things, magazines,timetables, bagfulls of wings, slippers etc. Maybe I should salvage whatever that is still about the house and garage.

My collection includes 1:200 scale models of various airplanes, plenty of other things connected with real aviation, and many, many books about aviation and history of XXth century. From my old hobby, I have collected a lot of militaries from XXth century, mostly from WWII, like polish\german\soviet union\allies\ caps, helmets, weapons, broshures, medals and other more or less valuable things from that times

I collect Airport Postcards only.I have loads of airline postcards,safeties, pins,playing cards etc which I trade for Airport Postcards.If anybody has any postcards to trade just let me know.

I'm actually collecting safetycards (have a look at my homepage: http://safety-cards.gmxhome.de). However, I do keep lots of other things related to aviation like airline issued postcards, air sicknessbags, airline pennants, stickers, boarding passes, ticket folders,... to be able to trade them for safeties.

In case that you are interested in trading you'll find my email address on my homepage or you can PM me.

I am collecting everything about the MD-80, MD-90, DC-9 and Boeing 717: brochures, advertising-material, pamphlets, safetycards, manuals, pictures, poctcards, posters and articles about these aircraft. I also like 1:100-models of such aircraft.

Such material is very rare to find (it took a long time for me to get a safetycard of Korean Airīs MD-80 for example) and very expensive - this is the reason of my rather small collection because of lack of money

Bye!

This is a great site about the MD-80 that you have created.

I collect model airplanes in 1:400 scale, herpa brand, I have about 30 now, I have quite a few companies, but almost all are Russian models (Tupolev, Ilyushin ,...)
    I also collect everything related to the MD80, safety cards, scale models, videos, manuals ...

Not much. Sake cups. My prize cup is a WWII Japanese cup with the aviation mechanic's propeller. I was an av mech on Guam when the last prisoner that I am aware of was taken out. Regarding many of the books and articles on this, well I have doubts. I remember when he was taken out of hiding at Talofofo Falls. I had been swimming there the weekend before. That was in about 1970.

Darn, I would have loved to gone diving for artifacts in OZ, my time in Townsville was too short. One of my good friends went "MIA" for about 40 years. He got out and came back to NYC, got spit on and got back on a plane with his separation money. He went back to the last place he was treated well. We had lunch in NY last year and he spoke of moving back here but after a week visiting he knows how well he has it. Townsville is now his home.

Quote Originally Posted by guamainiac View Post
    Not much. Sake cups. My prize cup is a WWII Japanese cup with the aviation mechanic's propeller. I was an av mech on Guam when the last prisoner that I am aware of was taken out. Regarding many of the books and articles on this, well I have doubts. I remember when he was taken out of hiding at Talofofo Falls. I had been swimming there the weekend before. That was in about 1970.

Darn, I would have loved to gone diving for artifacts in OZ, my time in Townsville was too short. One of my good friends went "MIA" for about 40 years. He got out and came back to NYC, got spit on and got back on a plane with his separation money. He went back to the last place he was treated well. We had lunch in NY last year and he spoke of moving back here but after a week visiting he knows how well he has it. Townsville is now his home.

Mate, that is SERIOUSLY interesting...Just thought you'd put it out there by-the-by!? "would have loved"? You can always come back mate. We'd have you , no worries. (Darwin's better than Townsville! Your mate was spat on 40 years later! Sounds like people in the US have a long memory! And being wrong for all that time too!
    Your life makes mine seem like i've been asleep for 40 years.

Bob was spat on and put up with a lot of abuse when he hit home in New York City in 1971.

He said he never settled in and just spun on his heel and went back to the only place he was ever treated well.

I have had a few incidents. The worst was over dinner and a child looked up and asked if I was really a baby killer.
    Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Everything with an airlines name on it that I can grab. Inflight mag, safety cards, earphones, et al.
    The 747 will always be the true Queen of the Skies!