Military spotting in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military spotting in the UK

I've got a few weeks holiday in the UK in early May and I would like to try and get some photos of military aircraft as well as the usual civilian suspects (LHR, LGW & MAN). I've had a look through the thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk viewing guide and it seems that RAF Coningsby would be a good place to try. I would appreciate any suggestions to the best places to go for military spotting in the UK.

Thanks.

Nathan

Not sure about the Military sites Nathan, but if you are down at Gatwick or Heathrow I'd be happy to help out when I am off shift. What dates are you over?

Andy

Comment

Sorry, I cant really help you but you might find some answers here:

There is a Military Aviation Photography forum if you scroll down and most
      shots were taken at UK airbases.
      greetings,
      Philip

Comment

Andy,

I arrive at LHR on 08/04. I have four weeks of business first (weekends free though ) before I take 2 weeks holiday. I'll be staying at the airport during the business section of my stay so it should be easy to catch up. I know Horley is within easy walking distance of LGW (I did the walk several times during my last trip).

Philip,

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Mildenhall

Not been for a long time but Mildenhall in Suffolk is a good base with lots of USAF KC-135 type movements. Also USAF C-17, C-130, P-3 and occasionally EP-3. Almost forgot RC-135's.

Lakenheath is also very close by, so F-15C/E action. These bases also more likely to have action at the weekend. RAF bases for the most part shut at the weekend, even by Friday Lunchtime in some cases.

Heathrow and LGW are guaranteed action, whatever the weather during the hours of daylight!

During the week Northolt is west London's busy biz port and Military biz airport of choice. This is situated about 8 miles due north of LHR. Busy during the week but very quiet at weekends.

I would consider Luton, never photographed there but again lots of biz and low cost airlines.
          May the Sun be with you. Resist the darkside.

Comment

Nathan, I'll PM you with details of my off-shift days and we'll see if we can't arrange a few trips. I'll have to wait until I get home (I'm at work right now) but I'm sure I can get something sorted. I haven't done any serious Military spotting since I left the RAF in 1996 so it would be good to have a mooch around some bases.

Andy

Comment

Thanks for that Ian.

Andy,

I pretty much got my itinerary sorted for the two weeks holiday, but it is always flexible. I've planned on 3 days in the Dinas Mawddwy area if you're interested....

Comment

Working...
              X