Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aviation related quotes from the past to present.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We literally thought of and designed and flew an airplane in a space of about six to eight weeks. Now it takes approximately the same number of years."

Sir Thomas Sopwith, Aviation Pioneer on WW1 aircraft

Comment

"The air was too crowded. You would no sooner pick out someone to have a crack at, then there would be the old, familiar 'pop-pop-pop-pop' behind you."

Harry Cobby, "ACE" Pilot, Australian Air Force, WW1

Comment

"I have lifted my plane, for perhaps a thousand flights and I have never felt her wheels glide from the Earth into the air without knowing the uncertainty and the exhilaration of first-born adventure."

Beryl Marham, Aviatrix

Comment

"It is probable that future war will be conducted by a special class, the air force, as it was by the armoured Knights of the Middle ages."

Brigadier Gen. William Mitchell.

Comment

Moving on to 1919 to 1938:

"It's all right if your automobile goes wrong while you are driving. You can get out in the road and tinker with it. But if your airplane breaks down, you can't sit on a convenient cloud and tinker with that!"

Katherine Stinson, American Magazine 1917

Comment

"The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth."

Antoine De Saint-Exupery, French Aviator.

Comment

"The Ca.60 Transaero would not have looked out of place sailing up the English Channel with the Spanish Armada."

Italian Historian, on seeing the plane's (Ca.60) nine multi-layered wings.

Comment

"Racing planes didn't necessarily require courage, but it did demand a certain amount of foolhardiness and a total disregard of one's own skin."

Mary Haizlip, Pioneer air racer.

Comment

"Flying was a very tangible freedom. In those days, it was beauty, adventure and discovery - the epitome of breaking into new world."

Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Aviatrix and wife off Charles Lindbergh.

Comment

Forever truths... from unknown authors (?s)...

"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. However, to a greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are NO old-bold-pilots."

Regards, WKT

Comment

"There are two kinds of pilots, those that have landed gear up and those that are about too."

Unknown.
                        Don
                        Standard practice for managers around the world:
                        Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

"Where am I?"

Charles A. Lindbergh, upon arrival in Paris in his Ryan NYP.

Comment

"Ours is the commencement of a flying age, and I am happy to have popped into existence at a period so interesting."

Amelia Earhart, Aviatrix.

Comment

"Motor cut. Forced landing. Hit cow. Cow died. Scared me."

Dean Smith in a telegraph to his chief.

Comment

"......and the joy and glory of the flier is the flight itself."

Isak Dinesen 1937.

Comment

Working...
                                X